Looking for Container suggestions

rhelt100

Greetings all,

I'm looking for suggestions on what container type to use on a new hide that I'm planning. I don't want to go into too great of detail here because I know that some of the local cachers are quite active on these forums. Basically, I'm looking for some type of container, preferably that I can buy ready to go (I'm going to need at least 3 of them, possibly more if I decide to up the difficulty), that will hold a few rigid objects that are roughly the shape and thickness of a playing card. A film can or the like will not do as these will not roll, they are rigid. Only real requirement is that it must be as water proof as possible. The only thing I've come up with so far is camo taping a ziplock bag...and I think that's kind of lame.

Anybody have any better ideas?

Thanks!

wrmbox.jpg

I second the vote for Decon Kits

That's actually what I was going with to this point. I like the other containers better, but these are much more economical since I'm going to need several. I found a place online that sells 4 for $14 with shipping. I'm going to check out my local ammocan supplier and see if it's cheaper to buy there since there will be no shipping.

I appreciate the suggestions folks!

wrmbox.jpgI second the vote for Decon Kits
That's actually what I was going with to this point. I like the other containers better, but these are much more economical since I'm going to need several. I found a place online that sells 4 for $14 with shipping. I'm going to check out my local ammocan supplier and see if it's cheaper to buy there since there will be no shipping.

I appreciate the suggestions folks!

Remember to peel the labels off.
Alot of military and civlian contractors here use these for ID cards,bank cards and such.I thought they'd make awsome micro caches.I've got a red one that was given to me I plan to scratch up with some sand paper and camo with paint or whatever.They are a little bigger inside than a credit card or driver's license.
That looks very familiar.
Alot of military and civlian contractors here use these for ID cards,bank cards and such.I thought they'd make awsome micro caches.I've got a red one that was given to me I plan to scratch up with some sand paper and camo with paint or whatever.They are a little bigger inside than a credit card or driver's license.
Did you post a link?Sorry if I missed it.I did look. :mad:
I posted a pic of a very similar item.

392_large_image.jpg

9d453419-472c-4471-af54-49cd9a0ffb4f.jpg

Edited by sbell111
Did you post a link?Sorry if I missed it.I did look. :mad:
I posted a pic of a very similar item.

392_large_image.jpg

9d453419-472c-4471-af54-49cd9a0ffb4f.jpg

Correction,I posted one that looks like yours.

Edited by vtmtnman

wrmbox.jpg

Last week I removed my last decon box cache from the wild. I was sick of all the maintenance visits to dry out the caches. I've used dozens over the years and they have one thing in common, they leak.

Lately I've been getting rid of my decons by using them as trade swag.

They also make nice worm boxes for fishing, but as caches, not any more for me.

wrmbox.jpg

Last week I removed my last decon box cache from the wild. I was sick of all the maintenance visits to dry out the caches. I've used dozens over the years and they have one thing in common, they leak.

Lately I've been getting rid of my decons by using them as trade swag.

They also make nice worm boxes for fishing, but as caches, not any more for me.

I have one in the wild. I going to switch it for a camo'ed lock-n-lock. It's just a better container.

Of the decon kits I own in the wild, two developed moisture inside. The only thing consistent with these two hides, that is absent in my other, dry decon hides, is that both containers were in physical contact with very moist soil. I moved one to a head high location, and replaced the other in the same spot with a Pelican 1010 Micro case. I'm not sure if that'll solve the moisture problem or not, but it's a fun experiment in the meantime.

d12ab2a2-d1e9-4dc1-84a4-0c144dfd8ef4.jpg

Are the blue and yellow things "Lock-n-Lock"?

How do I follow a pic for a link?

I guess you already have to know ....

No. Lock-n-Locks are food storage bowls with tabs on four sides that lock the lid on. I'll try to find a pic.

561.jpg

Edited by sbell111

Here in New England we have an odd lot store called Ocean State Job Lot. They recently have been carrying a lock-n-lock knockoff for a really good price.The smallest size, which is about the size it sounds like you want, (approx. 2x4x6) is selling for 90 cts. You might not have the store nearby, but in my experience, there are other stores that will likely have the exact same thing. Keep your eyes peeled.

Here in New England we have an odd lot store called Ocean State Job Lot. They recently have been carrying a lock-n-lock knockoff for a really good price.The smallest size, which is about the size it sounds like you want, (approx. 2x4x6) is selling for 90 cts. You might not have the store nearby, but in my experience, there are other stores that will likely have the exact same thing. Keep your eyes peeled.

Be careful with the knock offs. Some of them are fine, but some don't have the tabs that the lids snaps on to. Instead they just snap over a rim on the bowl. They pop off really easily.