Conwy Walking week / Geocaching!

All,

Conwy Council are organising a walking week with introductions to Geocaching and Geocaches in the area in July (not sure of exact dates but an e-mail address is given below for more info. Might be worth a trip out:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9:45am for 10:00 am start

Come along on this family event and learn how to use a Global Positioning System (GPS) to discover the hidden treasure (caches) along the walk. There will be a GPS demo to start to set you up for the walk and then it's all up to you to find the 'treasure'. There will be a prize draw for all entrants at the end. Parents are asked to stay with their children.

Duration: 3 hours

Distance: 3.2 - 4.8 km / 2-3 miles

Meet: National Park Car Park, top of Pensychnant. GR 755 769

Easy/moderate

As places on the walks are limited please book by:

phone: 01492 575290/575200

email: cg.cs@conwy.gov.uk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure id this has been posted before - apologies if it has. I have found a couple of caches in this area and some of them were spectacular.

Cheshire County Council are very "up" on caching, and indeed have a "Step into Cheshire" week every September (usually the 2nd week in Sept) where they actively encourage walking in teh countryside...

The rangers always place 4 new caches per year - so all in all they have greatly contributed to the caching community here, plus the fact that we have a blanket agreement on cache placing...

Good to see council's taking an active part!

Perhaps I shouldn't admit it too much here, but I work for afore mentioned Council in the IT section. When I've been to the Great Orme and spoken with the countryside warden there, (whilst tinkering about with PC and dial-up broadband problems) she was really receptive to geocaches on the Great Orme. As far as she was concerned, it meant more visitors, more people using the amenities, a higher footfall, which means more budget, which means she can improve the facilities more, and get more people to visit and so on and so on and so on. The warden in question works for the same Countryside service that is organising the walking week so it looks like the open mind ethos is throughout the section!

I agree with HazelS, its good to see a Council department being forward looking and receptive to other ways to use the countryside for leisure and enjoyment.