Ever give a coin to a non-cacher?

Lazer

I'm just curious to know if I'm the only one that has? Haha, I was dating very special someone at the time and they wound up moving out of town and I gave them a red phone-a-friend coin as a reminder of things, friendship, the caches they had done with me, etc. They had found probably at least 40 caches with me but never became a member. Too bad we didn't work out. I am curious what happened to that coin though! B)

I'm just curious to know if I'm the only one that has? Haha, I was dating very special someone at the time and they wound up moving out of town and I gave them a red phone-a-friend coin as a reminder of things, friendship, the caches they had done with me, etc. They had found probably at least 40 caches with me but never became a member. Too bad we didn't work out. I am curious what happened to that coin though! B)

Yeah... I've been known to do that on a few occasions. To qualify that, I don't know if they are cachers now, but in all likelihood, two that I can think of off hand, are probably not.

I have a friend who hikes with me and occasionally finds caches while we are out. He even came along to an event and won a green jeep TB. I have given him a couple coins that were really different or interesting. They are not very geocaching specific which is why they were interesting to him.

- cc

Our children's piano teacher is 6'2, bald and wears Hawaiian aloha shirts 24/7. We traded a Landsharkz signature for one of Shop99er's yellow shirt coins to give to the piano teacher at Christmas and he absolutely loves it!

My daughter's best friend loves our sharkz coin, so my daughter gave her one of our samples with her birthday present last year.

Yes sure have, A Postal Jeep to my mailman, also to him at Christmas one of the geoswag Snowflake Coins and Pin sets, To a computer guru friend A D&B Nasty Bird Trangle and a Defcon 07, . To a local Friend that is leader of a local SWAT team, a Circle of Public Safety coin , and another to a Detective on the police force, a Magellen Police badge. B)

I haven't given it yet, but I have a coin for our State Parks staff...one of our very limited Lazy Hayes Days coins! Our State Parks and MiGO worked out a deal to allow free cache placement in all State Parks, this is my little THANK-YOU for allowing me to do this even before the deal was approved!

Our S.P. management have become good friends of mine, we are working together to help make our park a cacher's destination AND to help the badly underfunded S.P system...our event is being held in Hayes S.P in a few weeks!

I've also given coins to some non-cachers who've become cachers...not sure if that counts...

We had 100 Mrs Moops coins made after my wifes heart transplant in 04. At least 2 dozen of these coins were given to the LVAD team at Medical University of Ohio, who did the artificial heart implants, and the transplant team at University of Michigan, who gave Mrs Moops her new heart. Every one of the recipients were quite pleased although none of them were geocachers.

Many, many coins. I have a friend at work who loves penguins (in fact his obession is the reason I've come to love penguins). So every time there's a coin with a penguin on it I try to get two (one for me and one for him). His wife loves Pugs, so I got her one of the Pug coins. And I gave them a couple of each personal coin I had made.

And, of course, family and friends all got several copies of each of my personal coins.

Windrose

We had 100 Mrs Moops coins made after my wifes heart transplant in 04. At least 2 dozen of these coins were given to the LVAD team at Medical University of Ohio, who did the artificial heart implants, and the transplant team at University of Michigan, who gave Mrs Moops her new heart. Every one of the recipients were quite pleased although none of them were geocachers.

i'm having coins made up that have the green ribbon on them, for organ donation... i had the transplant at UofM too, in Nov. 03

Gave the silver SCGA coin to a friend who lives in Charleston and always asks if we have found any new treasures.

Gave a different SC 2007 coin to friends in Myrtle Beach. They have cached with us in NY, SC and VA. They keep saying they are going to get their own GPS. We may go to the GPS Store just over the NC/SC border on our next trip there and help them to select a GPS.

Our grandson has about 10 coins he has admired that were in our collection.

One of our sons is a jeeper, and he has received several jeep coins.

One son and a daughter-in-law are both nurses. We gave them nurse coins.

Our granddaughters like flowers and butterflies, so they get to pick and choose from our collection. They seem to enjoy going "treasure hunting" with us.

We were notified today that our personal coin will ship to the states from the mint around May 15. Once we have our own Wigoweb coin, we will likely give some of them to some of our muggle friends, too.

That's a great story.

I haven't had a reason to give a coin to a non-cacher yet, as I'm not sure what they would do with it....meaning, I wouldn't want it to be like the ugly sweater that your aunt gives you that you HAVE to wear. :mad:

I was out with the geoMob caching club for the Go And Get 'Em 9 event. At one cache we had an issue with either having to cross private property to get to the cache (which was not on private property) or finding a long way around.

We noticed that one of the houses abutting the fence had a large and well-made stile going over the fence, so we knocked on the door and asked permission to use the stile. In return for permission, he received a GAG9 geocoin.

My neighbour has a house out in British Columbia and has a few pictures wih the whale on (sorry cant remember the artists name) so i gave him a BC coin

Are you thinking of Wyland?? I love his work, we have a Whaling Wall here in SL.

That's what I was thinking. There is a Wyland Gallery in Sea Port Village in San Diego. (at least there used to be, I haven't lived there in over 2 years)

Very Nice stuff.. I love the blues and greens... But then I'm a Pisces, and supposedly we are drawn to that kind of stuff..

My other half has a co-worker who shares my HUGE love of elephants. When she saw the coin I was having minted, she offered to buy one. Seeing as she does all the artwork we ever need done, (including for our cache events) I decided to just give it to her for free. While she has mentioned several times that she would like to go out and find a cache, she never actually has.

Yes, several, most interesting was an Idaho micro that I gave to an Idahoan because the tracking number was ID followed by his initials and birthyear. Too cool of a coincidence....

I wish all signs were that obvious. You know, like when you are getting frustrated a work and you spill your soda all over your papers and when you clean up the mess and assess the carnage you realize the coffee stains spells "Quit, Quit Now, Don't Look Back".

Or when you are dating and they have freckles that spell out your name in morse code.

My neighbour has a house out in British Columbia and has a few pictures wih the whale on (sorry cant remember the artists name) so i gave him a BC coin

Are you thinking of Wyland?? I love his work, we have a Whaling Wall here in SL.

That's what I was thinking. There is a Wyland Gallery in Sea Port Village in San Diego. (at least there used to be, I haven't lived there in over 2 years)

The artist who did the orca on the 2006 BC coin is Tom Spetter. He has also sold paintings, giclee prints, etc. The Wyland whaling walls are certainly wonderful; he painted one in 1987 in Victoria BC, but I'm wondering if the pictures scaw's friend has from BC might be by Roy Henry Vickers or perhaps Tom Spetter.

I gave a Ilse of Man Geocoin and a sample of my Geocoin to a friend at work who liked both of them. He is interested in geocaching but doesn't have time being on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Maybe if he can manage a day off of work I will take him out for some geocaching.

When reading the title of this thread out loud my wife responds, "Not On Purpose"

It reminded me that yes, I Have given a coin to a Non-Cacher, But NOT on Purpose...

Back in January i think it was I was out caching with the whole family, and I brought a couple of geocoins to place in caches, My youngest son asked if he could hold onto one of them, I said no problem..

We stopped into a mall between caches to goto Target since we were in the area and my son somehow lost the coin there.

A Day or so later i get a email saying someone discovered the coin, and the log asked what the game was all about, so I sent them an email explaining geocaching and how travel bugs and geocoins work, and haven't heard from them since..

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=913333

I don't think SEMIK and mda_taz frequent these forums, so I will tell their story. They had our friend Tygress help them design a coin as a memorial to his brother, who was killed by a drunk driver. I think the name was "A True Texas Cowboy". Anyway, they made enough to send some out travelling (yes, trackable), to gift to about 150 friends and family of his brother, and some to sell to finance the project. It's a lovely coin. And I think they have some left if anyone reads this that is interested in owning one! Just write to SEMIK and I'm certain she'll fix you up. It's one of the nicer projects I've known about.

Happy Trails!

Just bought 2 copies of a coin that my hubby saw and liked. I got them for his birthday. He is not a cacher, but does accompany me caching sometimes. I got him one to release if he wants to and another to use however he wants-- I think it will probably become a golf ball marker, which means that it will likely be misplaced within a few months. But it is his to do with as he chooses, so I can't complain :o

I have to admit that my first reaction upon reading the title of this thread was, "You must be kidding!" But upon reading some of the really cool stories in here, I realize how short-sighted I was. I'm going to have to be open to the possibilities many of you have presented :drama:

We have give several to non-cachers.

My parents, my parent-in-laws, my brother and my sister-in-law and my nieces have all of our personal coins. In a different unknown XXLE finish even at that! :ph34r: We only did enough for family members.

I gave a record coin to my Granny she has about 15,000 records she has collected over the years, some from the 1920's.

I have a friend and a family member touched by Breast Cancer and I gave them both a coin...I need to get some of those glitter pins for them too...

We buy coin pages and flips at our local flea market, this little old man has a coin store. When we first started we were down there most every weekend, he asked us what we needed so many pages and flips for so the next weekend we brought our binders and showed him and we gave him 2 coins.

We also gave a postal jeep to Adam the mail clerk at the post office. He was always interested in what we were mailing all the time so we would bring one not in a mailer to show him. Since then he has bought a GPS and started caching.

There is other times also I am sure....but I can not remember the details.

Ok so we just gave a second geocoin to a non-cacher. This time it was to my sister. We gave her one of our Cachers for the Cure (Breast Cancer Ribbon) geocoins. My sister has had a few scares over the past few years and has an increased chance of getting breast cancer (the doctors are currently keeping an eye on a lump recently found). She was so happy to receive the coin that tears came to her eyes!

~Kelly