it's in the bag...name your backpack

I use a cheap daypack from Wally World with a hydration bad in it. I just organize my stuff into ziplocs to keep track of small items. Micro caches I carry to put out or replace with go in a ziploc. Small TBs go in a ziploc. Small swag goes in a ziploc. Everything is easy to find. It's big enough for an ammo can if I want to put one out so I don't have to carry it by hand. Plenty of room for compass, pens, swag, first aid, snacks, flashlight, or whatever else I think I might need.

I use the Plano 3350 Soft Sider... it's really a fishing tackle box, but it works great for caching. It costs about $20 bucks and keeps my hands free. I covered the Plano logo with a GeoCaching.com patch that fits over it perfectly. The water bottle holster is a nice thing too!

Moonie

Edited by moongecko

We use a wally-world daypack with hydration bag, too. (Camo, out of the sporting goods area.) It came with a detachable fanny pack we sometimes use for shorter hikes. It has space for all of the trade goodies, snacks, extra water, small first aid kit, whatever we need for the hikes we do around here. It always stays packed with the trade goodies.

I don't often carry it unless I'm planning to go on a little bit of a hike since it's a little on the big side for a lot of caches these days, but it's almost always in the car. I carry a military version of the Camelbak H.A.W.G. It has a 3L bladder, and about 1100ci of cargo room. I can't find a linkable pic, so I'll try to remember to take a pic of it and post it tonight.

This is the backpack. I forgot to mention the ammo pouch I keep clipped to the pack to hold my GPS. It makes it easier to get to, and it still holds sat lock in there if I want to keep a track of a long hike. The pouch is lying on the floor in front of the pack. I picked it up at the local surplus store for about $8

backpack1.jpg

And this is the pack and pouch together.

backpack2.jpg

Edit: to add pics

Edited by Mr. 0

I have a Timberland Backpack that I love. It has holders for two Nalgene Bottles as well as a compartment for a Camel Back Reservoir. Also has a daisy chain on the on outside and two good size internal compartments. It works great but a lot of time its over kill. I'm looking for a smaller shoulder bag now just for a little swag, pda, camera and phone for the short jaunts.

I use the Mountainsmith Approach II. It's perfect for geocaching if you like longer hikes. It expands enough to carry 2 .30 cal ammo boxes into the woods. It has two water bottle pockets on the sides as well as an internal sleeve for a hydration bladder and exit port for the hose.

The womens version of the Approach II can still be found at some outlets, but the pack has been updated and is now the Mountainsmith Approach 3.0. The 3.0 has some cosmetic modifications and some very ugly colors, but is functionally similar to the Approach II.

Here is a review of the pack that I wrote for Today's Cacher.

Here it is loaded with 2 ammo boxes ready for placing. Looks huge, but when the ammo boxes are removed it collapses to a more reasonable size.

29721b6b-2fca-448b-9be7-f883fe036576.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Is there a way to sterilise 'Camel-pacs' ? We have been interested in one for a while as we carry 2litre bottles and they sit heavy after a good days geocaching!

We currently use a 'standard issue' rucksack - holds all we need but is not easy to find things in!

thanks

minxyy

I use the Mountainsmith Approach II. ...

I've got a Kelty something or nother that does about 3/4 of what this thing does. Right now it's up to the job, but it just seems bulky for what it actually carries.

For Urban Combat (aka Working) I'm using a SwissGear pack meant for laptops. I find it handy as heck for the misc brick a brack that it's handy to have (mp3 players, random papers, USB key, Lunch, etc.) and it would make a better cache pack in general...except for hauling 50 Cal ammo cans up a hill.

From what I've seen of Mountainsmith, I like their take on packs and things. I got rid of my CamelBack Peak Batter. Fine for water, not so good for storting misc. survial and cachign equipment.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Is there a way to sterilise 'Camel-pacs' ?

I assume you mean the hydration bladders that come with Camelbaks and many other packs. If you just use water there is no need to sterilize it frequently. I just wash the bite valve with soap and water before every use. About once a month or two I fill the bladder with water, add a little chlorine bleach and run it through the hose.

If you put Gatorade, juice or similar beverages in it, you need to clean after every use, lest you have a biology experiment going on inside.

For short trips I have a fanny pack from Wally World which holds two .5 liter bottles. For longer trips where we need to carry food, a simple rucksack again from wally world which also holds a hydration bladder. For overnighters I have a MountainSmith Basecamp Series Circuit 3.0. I also bought a matching youth pack for my son. Hey the Green is not bad. ;)

I use a Camelbak Rimrunner, red of course. It holds 3L of water and has bit over 1500 ci of storage. I owned another smaller Camelbak but the wife took it in the divorce ;) I love the pack. I always have it in the car when Im caching and always bring it if its more than a park n grab.

I have two, depending on how long I plan on staying out, or what I am carrying. The first is a Mountainsmith swift (I think), which is a lumbar pack. I have the shoulder straps for it, makes it much more comfy to wear.

My second one is a Karrimor 45L backpack, with two side pockets. Excellent for overnights, weekends, and, if you are careful, extended trips as well. Built top quality, extremely rugged. Havent done too many long walks with it yet (havent had the time to), but am doing at least a 2 nighter next week. My lumbar pack has plenty of miles on it though ;)

Is there a way to sterilise 'Camel-pacs' ? We have been interested in one for a while as we carry 2litre bottles and they sit heavy after a good days geocaching!

We currently use a 'standard issue' rucksack - holds all we need but is not easy to find things in!

thanks

minxyy

A quick an easy way to keep your Camelbak bladder clean is to drain almost all the water out, then store it in your freezer. This will prevent any scum build-up.

Camelbak manufacturs a "cleaning kit" which includes a large brush (cleaning the main bladder), a long skinny brush for cleaning the hose, and a dryer insert that helps dry the bladder after cleaning.

Camelbak sells some expensive tablets for cleaning their bladders. I use dish soap, flush, and finsih off with two cleaing cycles using baking soda.