"Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble"

DavidMac

I didn't think anything about it the first time I saw it, but lately I've had a number of logs on my caches by more than one user which are prepended with the text Logged from my phone using the Geocache Navigator by Trimble. A Google search for the phrase revealed hundreds of logs from many different users, so it looks like the software is sticking it's little advert into people's logs.

Yes, I realize that the GeocacheNavigator software was developed in cooperation with GC.com, but this little bit of advertising tucked away in people's log entries just bugs me a little. I don't know why... maybe it's because I've always seen the log entries as a place for the finder to share their experiences about the hunt, and this removes a little of the control people have over the content of their logs. Then again, do finders have a choice as to whether or not this little plug is added to their logs? If there's a choice, I don't have a problem with it.

Has anybody else noticed this, and if so, does it bug anybody, or is it just me?

---

Posted from my iMac using the Firefox browser by Mozilla B)

Edited by DavidMac

When you mark a cache as found on the phone, and then go to log them on gc.com, it puts that phrase in for you, but I believe you can erase, change, whatever if you chose before posting. Of course you can still add your experience as well.

Ah, okay, as long as it's up to the poster to decide whether to leave it nor not, I don't have as much of a problem with it.

I don't understand why this bugs you in the first place...

Yes, I realize that the GeocacheNavigator software was developed in cooperation with GC.com, but this little bit of advertising tucked away in people's log entries just bugs me a little. I don't know why... maybe it's because I've always seen the log entries as a place for the finder to share their experiences about the hunt, and this removes a little of the control people have over the content of their logs

It looks like you may not know why either. It would be one thing if someone logging the caches didn't like it, but as a cache owner why does it matter to you?

Not being argumentative. Just wondering. As for me, wouldn't matter either way.

Huh. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I wonder if I would feel the same if one cacher started signing all their logs with something like:

You cache has just been found by Joe Smith, the Plumbing Doctor. Call us for all your plumbing needs.

or

Your cache has just been found by Sam Smith, the top sales person at the GPS store. See me when it's time to upgrade.

I don't like it because it's a form of advertising that hits my email, almost viral. It might as well be email spam I suppose. My own caches, and the caches on my watchlist deliver notifications via email. So when I see a log like this I think spam. I don't mind the advertising that GC does on the site, although personally I don't think I should be subjected to it given that I pay for services this site provides; but keep it out of my email.

I have the Geocache Navigator by Trimble on my phone and have used it to log my finds from the field. It doesn't actually log the find at that moment, It puts it in a queue and you can access the queue when you return from your caching day and change the log to whatever you want. The people who are leaving these logs are just being lazy, the same as TFTC. And I don't appreciate that either!

Not that my opinion matters, but i wouldnt/don't care for it either.

The only way i can maybe tolerate it is if it was a free service- like yahoo mail has an advertisement attached to the end of it.

It shouldnt be allowed. (Unless maybe the site gets a kick-back. Then i wouldnt mind it as it would/should benefit everyone in the end.)

Doesn't bother me at all. It's a minor ad that can be removed (by the sounds of it) by the user.

Even if it can't - it's minor in the grand scheme of things. There is very little obtrusive advertising on this site, and if this is a way to generate some $$ for GS to keep things running, I'm OK with it.