do i need anything else?

diamondback688

I got that book at the library and found that much of it is outdated. You will learn enough by searching the forums and asking questions.

If you decide you are going to do more than a few at a time- you may want to invest in an inexpensive PDA to use for paperless caching. It can be used along with Cachemate and your premium membership to spend more time caching and less time printing papers. I dont see how we could do it without it.

Among other things mentioned, i like an LED flashlight for dark places or simply when it gets dark outside, 2 way radios of there are more than 1 of you, and maybe a walking stick.

Oh, a camera is always nice!

There is so much that you could find useful. You learn as you go.

Happy caching!

Edited by knight2000
hey all...im just curious if i need anything else to start geocaching...i have an eTrex Legend gps unit and the book "geocaching for dummies" in the mail, and they should be arriving in the next couple of days hopefully...is there anything else you recommend i buy?
I started with a Legend. You may want to get some map software for it. It is handy seeing where the cache is in relationship to the streets. If you are going to go hiking then you really don't need maps.
hey all...im just curious if i need anything else to start geocaching...i have an eTrex Legend gps unit and the book "geocaching for dummies" in the mail, and they should be arriving in the next couple of days hopedully...is there anything else you recommend i buy?
There's always going to be tons of stuff that you can buy. However, all you really need is the GPS unit.

Once you get your GPSr and book, flip through the book brifly (very, very briefly). Then, pull up the caches nearest your house and choose a nice regular-sized cache with fairly low difficulty/terrain ratings and enter the coords for it into your Legend. Go find that cache.

This weekend I had my first "large" geocaching trip. My plan was to go for two that were seperated by about 2.5 miles. I had my Palm for paperless geocaching, my Garmin Vista, cell phone, pad of paper and small pen, bottle of water, one Travel bug from a previous cache.

What I most missed was having snacks! I'm still stuck with this bug. The first cache I did not find (DNF), and I think it may have been washed away in the recent storms we had in the Northeast. The second was a microcache (a prescription bottle) that my bug would never fit in.

Reading through these, an led flashlight would be helpful. I need to make a list so I can quickly pack my bag and get out the door!

hey all...im just curious if i need anything else to start geocaching...i have an eTrex Legend gps unit and the book "geocaching for dummies" in the mail, and they should be arriving in the next couple of days hopedully...is there anything else you recommend i buy?
There's always going to be tons of stuff that you can buy. However, all you really need is the GPS unit.

Once you get your GPSr and book, flip through the book brifly (very, very briefly). Then, pull up the caches nearest your house and choose a nice regular-sized cache with fairly low difficulty/terrain ratings and enter the coords for it into your Legend. Go find that cache.

Exactly! Start out small, see how you like things, and you'll soon figure out for yourself what else you might want to bring.

If you are going to go hiking then you really don't need maps

B) Good maps are critical when you are hiking. Whether they are on your GPS or on paper you should never go into the woods without map and compass.

To answer the OP. It all depends on the kinds of caches you will be doing. In a strict sense, all you really need is your GPS and a pen for urban caches. Insect repellent can also be useful. And things like water and snacks. If you get more into it, a PDA running Cachemate and a premium membership so you can download the cache pages to Cachemate.

If you will be doing caches that involve hikes in the woods, then you'll need basically anything you would take hiking. Here is a pretty good list.