Seeing archived caches by area.

jppgh

I am sure this question must be answered somewhere, I just can not find where.

How can I do a search by zip code or coordinates and see ALL of the caches? Specifically I want to see the archived caches included.

I can not imagine that there is not a way...

Welcome to the Forums! B)

The only way you can see the Archived caches is from the map that is available to Premium Users. On it you can request that all caches be included and identified. Finding all the Archived caches in a particular zip code that way could get fairly tedious, but it could be done . . . I guess. :cool:

Although Archived caches are included in a cachers "All Finds" PQ, once a cache has been Archived, it sort of doesn't exist . . . B)

Here is what your looking for..

Pick a cache in the area where you are interested in looking for archived caches. Open the cache page. Under "Mapping Options," click on the link for the Geocaching.com Map. Pan and Zoom the map to the area to investigate. Check the box at the lower left of the map that says "List Archived/Disabled Caches." Finally, click "Identify" in the radio buttons below the map, then click on the map. If there are any archived caches, they will be shown with numbers on the map, and the corresponding cache links will show up in the list of caches below the map.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=157352&hl=

Here is what your looking for..

Pick a cache in the area where you are interested in looking for archived caches. Open the cache page. Under "Mapping Options," click on the link for the Geocaching.com Map. Pan and Zoom the map to the area to investigate. Check the box at the lower left of the map that says "List Archived/Disabled Caches." Finally, click "Identify" in the radio buttons below the map, then click on the map. If there are any archived caches, they will be shown with numbers on the map, and the corresponding cache links will show up in the list of caches below the map.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=157352&hl=

I will echo what Miragee has already pointed out. This is a Premium Member feature only. And you might take notice that the OP is not yet a PM.

Not to sound silly but - why do you want to see where the unavailable - nonexistant - couldn't last caches were?

Why presume that an cache is archived for negative reasons? Some cache onwers around here put out a cache for a year or so and then archive it to allow someone else to put a new cache out for the amusement and entertainment of all.

Some reasons a person might want to know where caches once were:

*gather up archived caches that are now litter (not listed anywhere, but not picked up)

*rescue TBs left in an archived but not retrieved hide

*create an ingenious new hide in a spot that once held a cache (and make sure it is nothing like the original)

*repeat a previously sucessful hide in a spot after someone else "geocides"

*avoid a spot that had problems

*avoid a problematic type of cache hide in an otherwise good location (Ex: problem, area flooded; solution, *place a cache up high)

*seek a land owner that has allowed caches to be placed in a spot in the past (avoid annoying those who had problems, learn who to contact)

*study the history of caching in the community just out of curiousity

I tend to look for previously archived hides in the general area before I place a new hide. There are several cachers around that have been active years longer than we have. If they tried a cache in the past in a spot I'm considering, I may as well learn from their trials and errors.