CITY NAVIGATOR NT or CITY NAVIGATOR

Well I'm looking to pick up a 60CSX or 60CX and I'm wondering about the mapping software. Should I go with the NT or not? If I read everything correctly the only difference is that the NT has smaller map sizes. Is that correct? I'll also be getting a 2gb card for it so I don't think I'll have too much of a problem with space since I really only need to load a few states (MI, OH, IN, KY, WV PA).

You may want to take a look at a previous thread concerning map segments. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=162001

It will also show you some comparisons of CN and CN NT and why the need to definitely go with the NT version if planning on loading topo maps later as long as you are just using it on your 60Cx/CSx. CN NT is not compatible with some GPSrs, but for those that are, it will allow you to load more map segments from other Mapsource mapping programs. The above thread I mentioned will help to explain.

Hmm now I'm not sure what to do. I was thinking about keeping my 60CS but I don't think I can use NT with it. I guess I can just sell it and maybe buy something else that will use NT for a back up unit.

From what other Garmin users who have had to use Garmin's Customer Service/Warranty Repairs have reported that the turn around time on a warranty repair/replacement is so quick that most people are without their GPSr for only about a week, should anything go wrong with it. I use a 60CSx and kept an older Garmin as a backup. The backup never gets used and is just collecting dust. IMO unless your survival in the back country depends on your GPSr a backup GPSr is just something addtional to carry that won't get used. If survival is an issue then the backup should always be paper maps.

If you are set on having a backup, then IMO the Legend Cx one be an excellent backup or even as a primary unit. It's compact size is nice that is doesn't take up much room. The Sirf III chip in the 60Cx/CSx or 76Cx/CSx is excellent and you won't be dissappointed with it at all. After having my 60CSx for amost a year, I'd get the 60CSx again if I had it to do over.

From what other Garmin users who have had to use Garmin's Customer Service/Warranty Repairs have reported that the turn around time on a warranty repair/replacement is so quick that most people are without their GPSr for only about a week, should anything go wrong with it. I use a 60CSx and kept an older Garmin as a backup. The backup never gets used and is just collecting dust. IMO unless your survival in the back country depends on your GPSr a backup GPSr is just something addtional to carry that won't get used. If survival is an issue then the backup should always be paper maps.

If you are set on having a backup, then IMO the Legend Cx one be an excellent backup or even as a primary unit. It's compact size is nice that is doesn't take up much room. The Sirf III chip in the 60Cx/CSx or 76Cx/CSx is excellent and you won't be dissappointed with it at all. After having my 60CSx for amost a year, I'd get the 60CSx again if I had it to do over.

The backup is mainly for the use of other people when I drag them along ;) I do need this for work though so there is no way I could be without it for a week or so.