Forget the FTF How Many DNF's Have you logged.

I'd load all logs and find out, but on a weekend that would be cruelty. It's around 130. I'm only aware of one DNF that I didn't post, that was when a bunch of people DNFed a hide near GW4, and by the time I got home to logging one more DNF seemed unkind. The owner was apologetic that so many had hunted a missing hide, but they'd also checked it the week prior to the event and it had been in place.

I just didn't want to be piling on. I don't clean up DNFs, unless the journey was interesting. Or I heard great things about the hide. Mostly I hunt until I'm not having fun, then move on. Not finding caches is not a moral failure. And finding caches isn't a critical skill set.

I dont mind logging our DNFs as it may help the owner or future cachers. I suspect that more than a few dont bother to log all their DNFs.

We have been caching for 6 weeks. 76 finds and 7 DNFs.

Much would depend on the difficulty of caches found/not found for a stats generator to be a bit more accurate in comparing different peeps.

Just guessing here, but I'd say at least 100 to 110 DNFs logged by me. Current "REMAINING" DNF count is 52. What I mean by that is, I log a DNF when I DNF a cache, but I "ERASE" it when I finally make the find. Some of them are gone forever, never to be found again, but the OLDEST REMAINING DNF for me is "7/9/2003 - Warm Winds at Gillette Castle, GCE72B. I hope someday to get back to CT to look for that one again!

Just guessing here, but I'd say at least 100 to 110 DNFs logged by me. Current "REMAINING" DNF count is 52. What I mean by that is, I log a DNF when I DNF a cache, but I "ERASE" it when I finally make the find. Some of them are gone forever, never to be found again, but the OLDEST REMAINING DNF for me is "7/9/2003 - Warm Winds at Gillette Castle, GCE72B. I hope someday to get back to CT to look for that one again!

What do you mean "erase"? Do you delete your DNF log?

Finding the cache later doesn't mean you didn't find it last time.

Your DNF logs are part of the cache history...you should let them stand.

Ed

My personal preference. Don't judge, there are no rules...

Well it should be a rule. A record shows the cache owner possible problems, like was the cache placement difficulty wrong, should have I set it higher? Are the coords too far off? things like that, but thats ok, some out there like to be perfect.

51 DNF 142 Finds (I'm a newbie!) Like everyone else, some of those I went back and found later. Some have been archived. It's not about the numbers, but I believe in logging DNF's so the owner and others will know of any problems. I try to be sure and point out my ignorance or inexperience if I think the cache might really be there and it's just that I couldn't find it! I rely on past logs for additional help or hints when I set out to find a cache.

I have only had 1 DNF come to find out it had beed muggled.. I have found all the others i have looked for.

how do you do that? just keep looking and looking ?

Apparently, I'm one of the worst on here with 1/4 as many DNFs as finds. but I geocache for the hike and the outdoor experience, not for the numbers, so it means little to me to shrug and start back to the car without the find instead of spending a lot of time walking in circles. Though I have spent as much as 45 minutes looking for one and still not found it.

51 DNF to 246 Found.

Some are on the same cache, some are partially completed multis (if I stop part way, I log a note; if I try and can't find a stage, I log DNF). I also tend to stop logging DNFs after the second or third try at the same cache; a couple of caches would have had more if I logged every one of those attempts.

19 out of 158, I usually log my DNF's but don't usually log the second, third attempts unless it's a find. I just log 1 this weekend, I traveled 200kms round trip on my quad and didn't find it. It was 2 years old and had no finds. But the trip was great and I got the real prize as the area was more important than the actual cache.

I agree. Even if I have gone back the very next day to find a cache I DNF'd, I don't delete, or edit the log. Those DNF logs of mine often make better reading than the "Found It" logs. :mad:

I agree also. Some of my best caching adventures have ended in a DNF. I won't delete them. I want them there. I have removed all the Alaskan cache from my DNF bookmark because I may never be able to hunt them again before they are archived, but I will not delete my logs.

16 plus one more I didn't log.

Have found 49.

One was confirmed muggled, another I am pretty sure was muggled and the one I didn't log was for an attempt to FTF a multi with a micro end.

Have gone back and got one of them and will hopefully do the same with some of the others. One of them was a multi where you went to where a steam engine was to find the answers to get the final coordinates. Chose it so the boys could see the engine which they did so was not worried about not finding the cache which seemed to be in the middle of thick bush. Too much like hard work with a 4 year old 'helper'.

I log all my DNFs and I bookmark them for all to see. If I eventually find it, I remove it from my bookmark list, but I leave my DNF logs. Sometimes I DNF'd it because it had been muggled. Sometimes it is because it just got the better of me. Either way, my DNF log is an important part of the permanent record.

There are two caches that I DNF'd three times each before finding them on the 4th try. I kept looking for those particular caches because I had heard they were great hides. Once I found them I agreed and was glad I didn't give up!

All in all, I have 43 DNFs. Of those, there are 32 I still haven't gone back and found.

There are local cachers in my area that I have run into at a cache. After giving up without finding it, I realized later, they don't log their DNFs. They also seem to enjoy running up the numbers. Not judging them, just not my style. If that's how they choose to play the game, then that's their business.

I have 19 DNF's and 94 finds. Sometimes my DNF logs can be far more amusing than some of my found it logs. I do wish you could look at someone's DNF's as well as finds in their account. I'm not ashamed of mine, in fact I like them. For me it's not really about numbers or anything, just about the experience and DNF's are an integral part of my geocaching experience.

As far as statistics, the 19 DNF's and 94 finds add up to 113 attempts. That gives me a find percentage of 83.19%.

Here are a couple recent DNF logs of mine that I think are pretty amusing:

First one

Second one