Putting co-ors into a TomTom

I have a TomTom Go300, I usually download myPOUIs from GSAK with no problem. However when I try to type in co-ordinates directly to the TomTom it usually points me somewhere several miles away. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I use a PDA with TomTom 6 and had a similer problem when first using the 'input destination as lat/long' which might be the same as the 'GO'.

What I was doing was using the top line of numbers/symbols when entering the co-ordinate, for example N51(degree symbol)01'498 and it was the ' which caused all the problems.

What I should of done was use the degree symbol from the top line and the decimal point from the bottom line, for example N51(degree symbol)01.498 . Therefore make sure your using a . rather than a '

Hope this helps, if I can get one I will try and post a screen shot to explain it better.

Edited by Al & Tracy Smith

I think the TomTomGo 300, in its default configuration, will always stick to roads so if you enter a location that is not on a road it will take you to a position, on a road, nearest to the position you entered. If that makes sense!

What you could try is entering the location of a cache adjacent to a major road and see if you have the same problem.

Edited to add: You may have your TTG set-up to take the fastest route which is the default option. I have mine set up so that I have to tell it what type of route I want, eg fastest, shortest, etc.

To change:

1. Tap the screen and tap Change Preferences

2. Scroll through the menu until you get to Planning Preferences

3. Tap Planning Preferences and then tap Ask me every time I plan.

4. Tap Done and Done again.

Now when you type in the co-ords instead of tapping fastest route choose walking route. This is assuming you are using the TTG to get you to a cache and you are on a road close to to the cache. If not, you may have to get to a point on a road close to the cache and the choose a walking route.

Edited by Master Mariner

I have a TomTom Go300, I usually download myPOUIs from GSAK with no problem. However when I try to type in co-ordinates directly to the TomTom it usually points me somewhere several miles away. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I use a PDA with TomTom 6 and had a similer problem when first using the 'input destination as lat/long' which might be the same as the 'GO'.

What I was doing was using the top line of numbers/symbols when entering the co-ordinate, for example N51(degree symbol)01'498 and it was the ' which caused all the problems.

What I should of done was use the degree symbol from the top line and the decimal point from the bottom line, for example N51(degree symbol)01.498 . Therefore make sure your using a . rather than a '

Hope this helps, if I can get one I will try and post a screen shot to explain it better.

Brilliant, that trick does it. I thought I'd tried that way ages ago and it didn't work then. there again, you know what thought did!

Many thanks.

Yes, this is the case, because I guess the TomTom would interpret everything after the ' as seconds. Geocaching coordinates are decimal minutes. 01.498' will work fine.

Often, if devices are clever enough, all they require is the N/S and digits including decimal points and correct spacing.