trekkin poles

So much publicity these days with trekking poles and testemonials like "I'll never go back to not using trekking poles" has me thinking about getting a pair. A couple of issues, one being if each hand is holding a pole, what is holding my Maggy? I understand that 4 legs, in essence, spread the energy consumption better than 2.... but on my mostly 1-2 mile hikes on usually paved and flat trails, am I going to look like a complete goof... OK, I'm a geocacher so I already look like a goof, but you know what I mean!

I have a herniated disk in my lower back and I can't walk any long distance without a stick to lean on.

I bought a pair of cheap ones from Wally World but I seldom carry more than one, it not only keeps one hand free but I can trade hands when one arm gets tired. I bought the cheap ones first to see if I'd like using them but they are holding up so well I see no reason to upgrade them.

On treks in the woods, wouldn't be without our trekking poles. Usually just one but it can make climbing a lot easier, lets you steady yourself in all kinds of unique terrain you find. Finally, when hunting for the cache you can poke safely into crevices and under things.

JD

I have a pair of Leki trekking poles that a wonderful geocacher friend gave me, and my husband has a pair of Komperdells. We always take at least one pole each with us into wild areas. When it's icy or extremely steep, we use both poles. There are mounts you can attach to hold the gps; I usually clip mine to my jacket where I can see it without holding it.

I have two slipped discs. The pole helps me keep my balance and improve my footing. They also take enough strain off my back that I can cache for hours. I also have carpal tunnel syndrome (yes, I'm a mess!) and the anti-shock spring feature and the molded hand grips make it easier for me to use the trekking poles for long periods.

They also make great places to hang the gps while you sign the log (no forgetting the gps that way!). They are great for poking in the brush or the deep dark hole and not coming out with a critter attached to your hand. I don't know about cheap poles, but I certainly wouldn't want to be attacked by someone weilding a Leki. The pole could certainly be used to shoo away a midly agressive animal.

Wooden staffs are also nice, and they can be personalized fairly easily. I've heard many people say they had trouble with the less expensive poles collapsing when they really need them, or bending. I have never owned anything except the Leki, so I can't make a comparison.

Whatever you choose, you will want some kind of stick for serious caching trips.

I will always hike with a single staff, custom made for me, by me. ;)

Hill assist, sticking in creek banks to test them, weapon, you name it. The one I use now is a walnut staff about 5' with finger grooves. Not as comfy as molded hand grips, but still very nice and handy.

The only one I've seen that was cooler was the one used by my Search and Rescue teacher. Very neat aluminum job built specifically for him.

Drive on, y'all !

Murdock

My wife and I have each have a wooden hiking staff that we use for most caching activities. I have two "funky" knees (courtesy of a motorcycle accident) the staffs are great for going up and/or down hills and for poking around in bushes and snowbanks looking for ammo boxes. However...they don't exactly fold up well :D and therefore don't fit on our motorcycle. So we each bought a folding trek pole at Wally World and they work just fine. As far as having TWO trek poles, one in each hand, that's A) kinda dorky and ;) dumb. If you ever go for a tumble down a hill or whatever, you'll need a free hand and not a trek pole!

As far as having TWO trek poles, one in each hand, that's A) kinda dorky and ;) dumb.

You're entitled to your opinion, but having two poles can really help with stabilisation on hillsides. It also spreads your load out properly so that you are not stressing one side over the other. You can't develop a proper hiking motion with just one, for the same reason that you won't find skiers with only one ski pole.

Another great use for trecking poles is for banishing spider webs that tend to be built at eye level across bush trails around here. Large spiders in the face are not fun :D

I started using trekking poles about 6 years ago when snowshoeing, then for hiking in a little snow and when the snow melted I kept using them. Put me in the "I'll never go back to not using them" camp. If I do hike without them it feels strange.

They are especially great for steep downhills and stream crossings and also helpful for knocking spider webs out of the way and poking in dark places when looking for a cache.

In very heavy brush they do get in the way so I just collapse them and put them in the pack.

And despite TinyMoon & The Pumpkin King's opinion, I use two. One doesn't work quite as well for balance and

getting the weight off the aging knees. If I were to tumble down the hill and needed my hands I would probably just drop the poles.

My GPS is clipped to my belt and I just stop and consult it periodically. No need to keep it in the hand all the time.

Edited by briansnat

My wife and I have each have a wooden hiking staff that we use for most caching activities. I have two "funky" knees (courtesy of a motorcycle accident) the staffs are great for going up and/or down hills and for poking around in bushes and snowbanks looking for ammo boxes. However...they don't exactly fold up well :D and therefore don't fit on our motorcycle. So we each bought a folding trek pole at Wally World and they work just fine. As far as having TWO trek poles, one in each hand, that's A) kinda dorky and :) dumb. If you ever go for a tumble down a hill or whatever, you'll need a free hand and not a trek pole!

I use two poles, and I have fallen, when I was descending a steep chute, filled with scree. It was pretty easy to "let go" off the trekking pole when I needed to. Call us dorky if you want, but my treks in steep terrain, at high elevation are far more enjoyable with two poles. I'm not sure if you've thought about this, but it's real simple to collapse one of your trekking pole, and use only one when needed.

As for where to hold your GPS, I mainly carry mine in the top pocket of my Alpine Explorist. When I get closer to the caches, I hold the GPS and trekking pole in a delicate manner. I've been thinking of building a GPS mount for my trekking poles. ;)

I use the Cheap Red Walmart variety, but plan on upgrading to a better quality pair at Campmor. I've already bent on of the "red poles."

Edited by Kit Fox

I'm in the camp of "I'll never go back to not using one". I started out with the cheap ones and they fell apart in a month. I now have a couple of different Leki, and a Komperdell. My favorite is the Leki Wunderfruend. It has a cane style handle, as well as the staff grip. On the easy hikes, I use it like a walking cane, and it makes all the difference in the world to my bad back.

I use the red ones from Wal-Mart as well. As of now, I only carry one. I Haven't done a major hike that requires two yet but I will be this summer so I will purchase another one. My single has helped me already going up hills, crossing logs over creeks, etc. I generally keep my GPSr around my neck with a lanyard so I can just reach down and check it without much difficulty.

Good luck

I first saw hiking poles last spring when I was in an outdoor shop up in Flagstaff, AZ and thought they were 'interesting' but not something I would ever have the need for. Then I got into geocaching. I picked up one of the cheap poles at Target a couple of months ago before I went hiking in the Pinnacle National Monument, and it made all the difference in the world. It was helpful going uphill, but saved me from a couple of falls going downhill. I am firmly in the camp of "I'll never go back to not using one".

-CJ

I am on my second set of poles. I tend to only use them either on rough terrain or when going down a moderately steep hill. Going uphill I find them to be less useful but it is always better to have more contact points with the ground in case one of your feet slide away from you.

The reason its my second set is that my first set were damaged whilst on a Duke of Edinburgh expedition. I am glad that I had them as I feel that without them I would have had a nastly fall and possibly worse.

Since then I take the poles with me whenever I feel that I will be travelling over rough or steep terrain. However, whilst caching I have used them only on one occasion.

I use a pair of poles whenever I go on a cache that involves any sort of major elevation change. I find them useful for both climbing (the poles basically allowing my arms to assist the climb by pulling me up) and REALLY useful on the descent for taking a lot of weight off my knees.

I keep the GPSr on a lanyard around my neck so it is there for a reference when needed. The poles are also really useful for poking around trying to find a cache, particularly in the snow. For hiking/walking on fairly level terrain I'll leave 'em in the car unless I expect to find snow or ice in which case I may only take one with me.

I use a pair of poles whenever I go on a cache that involves any sort of major elevation change. I find them useful for both climbing (the poles basically allowing my arms to assist the climb by pulling me up) and REALLY useful on the descent for taking a lot of weight off my knees.

That is the biggest benefit I see from using the trekking poles, the boost from "rowing with my arms." It helps my legs out when i'm on steep inclines. ;)

Two poles really are better than one for hiking steep grades ,one is plenty for moderate hiking. I still recommend buyinng the inexpensive ones until you've used them enough to decide if you like them or not, you can always upgrade later and you may decide you'd prefer a staff over a pole anyway. I'll get an El Diablo staff someday, just as soon as he has the time and desire and I have the cash. ;)

I am a recent convert to Trekking poles. I often hike steep, crumbling dirt and rock trails and using them is amazing. No more sliding, slipping or falling on descending trails. And they help ascending and on uneven ground/rocks. Think of going from two wheel to four wheel drive. Walk like a mountain goat and take strain off your knees and back.

You do not need them for well prepared trails, but you never know when you want to go off and take the small interesting side trail, cross a mossy stream.....

We use them only for backpacking. When you've got a bit of weight bearing down on your shoulders it's nice to have that support.

I would advise testing them out in the store first. Within the same brand some will be good and some will be almost useless. Put some weight on it, and if it tries to telescope into a smaller pole, just put it back on the shelf and try the next one. I hate having one bad pole that I have to keep extending back to the proper size all the way down the trail.

Trekking poles are great if you are out backpacking with a fully loaded pack. That said, they really do save your knees! I find they just get in the way if I am out doing lightly packed day hikes. Flat hikes, they are a waste of time.

However, since this is a geocaching forum. I cache in the desert Southwest. If I'm going to any cache where I can't drive right to it, I take my trekking poles. The exception is searching in bushes, I use my pole for that kind of search. The poles are great for prodding places I shouldn't be putting my hands. There are too many things down here where if they bite you, they kill you (or just ruin a great day of caching).

I'm fit and agile. I use trekking poles frequently. They allow me to make tracks on unstable slopes where caution would otherwise dictate a much slower pace. On level terrain, I use them to add a kick forward to each step. In soft sand, they save a tremendous amount of energy that would otherwise be lost in flat-footed slogging.

With practice, I've learned to run pretty well with them. They help even out my gait so that my pack doesn't thump so badly with each stride.

As to holding the GPS, I use a wrist-strap model, so it's not an issue. But it's pretty easy to free my hands for other purposes; I just let the pole dangle from its strap temporarily.

One downside is that trekking-pole hiking on level ground is less energy efficient than two-legged walking. According to the people who do "Nordic walking" for fitness, that's not a bug, it's a feature! If your goal is to burn calories, the poles will supposedly help.

Another con: They get in the way during actual climbing. Climbing up, I often stow them in my pack. Going down, I throw them ahead and retrieve them later.

Im not sure exaclty what trekkin poles are. Are they a name brand or something?

If they are just walking sticks or staffs then i find them very handy when on the right trail. I wanted to buy some for the family but they seemed more than i wanted to pay for one.

Before today i just used one that my grandfather made for himself and i got when he passed. While shopping today we stopped in a craft type store looking for rare earth magnets, this was by the front door.

april2707009sd1.jpg

Each member of the family picked one out. They seem fairly strong. I also bought laces to make lanyards for the handles. The 4 we bought look like this. At less than $6 for all of them- i think it was a great deal. (They are 36" long and about 1.5" wide.)

I got them at a chain store, but i think they are only in Ohio. B)

Edited by knight2000

I have several sets of poles that I use for geocaching and hiking/backpacking. 1 set is from REI and the other is from WalMart. I am surprised at the quality of the Walmart poles. I have not had any trouble with them in 3 years. I don't hike without them.

Many moons ago, I bought one of those Swiss-Something red collapsable hiking poles at Wally World. I tried leveraging a log with it, and snapped it in two. Wally World replaced it, no questions asked. Hiking with my "new" one, the rotating lock thingy failed under a load and dumped me face first onto a shallow rock face. Since then, I hike with a wooden staff. If I wasn't such a cheap skate, I would've bought a Leki, or some other name brand, which probably would've held up a lot better than the Wally World ones.

My knees are shot, (bone on bone, no cartilage left.) Consumer Reports had an article that recommended trekking poles for people with bad knees, so I bought a pair.

Must be something wrong with the way I use them, as I could not get them to help. A single walking stick works much better for me.

My knees are shot, (bone on bone, no cartilage left.) Consumer Reports had an article that recommended trekking poles for people with bad knees, so I bought a pair.

Must be something wrong with the way I use them, as I could not get them to help. A single walking stick works much better for me.

B) Maybe it is the way you use them. I've got knee trouble, personally, and I find that they help quite a bit. But, then, I've only used them while backpacking, so maybe the extra weight changes how I would use them. It's tempting to carry the stick, rather than let the stick carry me, if you get my drift. If I don't use them well, then they become nothing more than a couple of accessories that I use to hold my arms up.

I use one pole. There have been difficult hikes where trekking poles would have been nice. Most of the time, I want a hand free for various reasons so I just use a hiking pole. I like wood ones but also have a nice REI collapsible one. I often use it shortened as a cane rather than as a staff. I like the flexibility to change the height for my needs (going downhill I lengthen it). For caching I like to have it for moving brush, poking the ground to feel for a cache through the dense leaf litter, etc.

Many moons ago, I bought one of those Swiss-Something red collapsable hiking poles at Wally World. I tried leveraging a log with it, and snapped it in two. Wally World replaced it, no questions asked. Hiking with my "new" one, the rotating lock thingy failed under a load and dumped me face first onto a shallow rock face. Since then, I hike with a wooden staff. If I wasn't such a cheap skate, I would've bought a Leki, or some other name brand, which probably would've held up a lot better than the Wally World ones.

I met a cacher in the woods once who had a Leki, when he tried to lean on it, it collapsed. I'm 380 pounds and I put considerable weight on my red Swiss-Something Wally World trekkin pole and it holds.

Like cars, some are lemons and some are gems.

I met a cacher in the woods once who had a Leki, when he tried to lean on it, it collapsed.

Leki, Wal-mart, the brand doesn't matter. They will all collapse if not tightened properly. I have Komperdells and just make sure they are tight before every hike and will check them periodically. Never have a problem as long as I do that.

I met a cacher in the woods once who had a Leki, when he tried to lean on it, it collapsed.

Leki, Wal-mart, the brand doesn't matter. They will all collapse if not tightened properly. I have Komperdells and just make sure they are tight before every hike and will check them periodically. Never have a problem as long as I do that.

Yep. Furthermore, it depends on how you use them. I must give a little twist on push-off, because the pole in my left hand loosens and the one in my right tightens. You just develop a ritual for checking and tightening periodically, particularly before and after heavy use.

I'm in the camp of "I'll never go back to not using one". I started out with the cheap ones and they fell apart in a month. I now have a couple of different Leki, and a Komperdell. My favorite is the Leki Wunderfruend. It has a cane style handle, as well as the staff grip. On the easy hikes, I use it like a walking cane, and it makes all the difference in the world to my bad back.
I have a great wooden staff that I picked up at a beaver dam several years ago and converted to use as well as a wal-Mart collabsible that I like. However, after my accident, I began using a cheapo that is similar to Leki's Wanderfruend. I really like it's versatility, but I have pretty much worn it out. I think that I'll start looking around for a deal on a Leki Super Micro to replace it.
I've tried trekking poles but find my trusyt wooden hiking stick/staff to be much more useful. Strong/lightweight and no worries about "collapse".
The only probablem that I have with my wooden staff is that I never have it handy. I'll neglect to drag it out of the Jeep or I'll leave it at home all together. I never bring it while traveling because I don't want it to get the American Tourister Ape treatment by the luggage goobs.

A Leki Super MIcro, however, collapses down to just over 18 inches. This is small enough to stow in a day pack or pack away in checked luggage. Also, it easily converts to a cane for those of us who occasionally need one.

Edit: I was going to fix my typo, but I kind of like 'probablem'.

Edited by sbell111

.....I never bring it while traveling because I don't want it to get the American Tourister Ape treatment by the luggage goobs.

A Leki Super MIcro, however, collapses down to just over 18 inches. This is small enough to stow in a day pack or pack away in checked luggage. Also, it easily converts to a cane for those of us who occasionally need one.

You fly!!! - I just drive so I can cache all the way to my location (will work until I decide to treat my wife to a Hawaii vacation) ;)

You'd have to put both of us in the gotta have'm camp ;) The biggest advantages of course are steep grades, descents, stream crossing etc. They're also a very useful tool for probing in all seasons. Two things caught my eye in the responses so far. Someone mentioned them being heavy and someone else mentioned the strength factor. As far as being heavy, I heartily disagree. A small bottle of water is easily twice as heavy as both sticks combined weight. I usually keep them clipped to my swag bag (collapsed) with a carabiner and just use them on occasion when the need arises. As for strength, they're all pretty good and my komperdells doubled as a pair of crutches when I blew out my knee on Mt. Washington. I hobbled over six miles going back down supporting the majority of my 6'2" / 220lb body the whole way and they're the same pair I use every weekend. The bonus of hiking poles are tremendous, the disadvantages are almost non-existent. Borrow a pair for a weekend and you'll probably be sold on them, too. :D

I should note that my second Wally World red Swiss Something pole didn't collapse from not being tightened. The lower, black plastic twist thingy cracked. (probably from my abusive handling? Maybe just a defect?) Don't know. I do know that I am at 100% failure rate with the cheap ones, and 0% failure rate with my 6' saguaro (sp?) cactus staff. I would like to someday add a collapsible staff to my stuff, just for the convenience, (storing a 6' wooden staff in a kayak is a pain), and when that day comes, it won't be red....or Swiss. ;)