Venture Cx Problem

I purchased a Garmin Etrex Venture Cx a couple of weeks ago. I've loaded some maps on to it. I've been testing it (playing with it) and comparing it's performance to my other GPS receivers. It works well in a moving auto and autoroutes like a dream. I've used it to find a couple of easy caches. I'm having 2 problems with it: Whenever I stop moving for more than a few seconds the map screen starts spinning around. I'm talking almost continuous 360 degrees. My other receivers drift or move around a little bit when I'm stopped, and I know that this is normal, but nothing like this. Is anyone else having this problem ?

This unit also seems to have a lot of problems under tree cover. My foretrex 101 seems to perform better under the trees. Might I have a problem unit or am I expecting too much from this receiver ? I bought this unit as a backup for my 60CX but I'm beginning to think that I was better off using the Foretrex as my second receiver. I'd really appreciate input from other Venture Cx owners.

I have reloaded the latest firmware (2.60) and have wiped out and reloaded my maps several times. Nothing seems to help. Thanks.

It sounds like you have the map set for "Track Up" instead of "North Up." You might change that setting and see if that helps.

I have used "Track Up" when I am driving long distances, but for hiking, I prefer "North Up" because I don't like it when the map spins around . . .

I'm sorry I cannot comment on the other problems because I have a Garmin Vista C, which works great. ;)

It sounds like you have the map set for "Track Up" instead of "North Up." You might change that setting and see if that helps.

I have used "Track Up" when I am driving long distances, but for hiking, I prefer "North Up" because I don't like it when the map spins around . . .

I'm sorry I cannot comment on the other problems because I have a Garmin Vista C, which works great. B)

Thanks for the comment. I tried switching to North Up. The map no longer spins but my icon still does, continuously when I'm not moving. If I am tracking a waypoint, the compass pointer spins too.

None of my other GPSrs do this, and I always keep them on "Track Up" I'm really concerned that I

may have a defective GPSr but I don't know anyone with a Venture Cx who can advise if this behavior is

typical.

Might want to try calling Garmin, they have an excellent customer services reputation.

I'm sorry I cannot comment on the other problems because I have a Garmin Vista C, which works great. B)

Thanks for the comment. I tried switching to North Up. The map no longer spins but my icon still does, continuously when I'm not moving. If I am tracking a waypoint, the compass pointer spins too.

None of my other GPSrs do this, and I always keep them on "Track Up" I'm really concerned that I

may have a defective GPSr but I don't know anyone with a Venture Cx who can advise if this behavior is

typical.

No, I have the same Venture CX as a handheld 2nd unit I've have had no problems like revolving mapping.

It's a very good little unit actualy.

There's v little noticable map drift when stationary in a working unit either and if you've set North up and wiped & reinstalled your mapping, I would say you have a dodgy Monday Morning unit.

Garmin should swap it out

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I called Garmin this morning and the rep had me perform a hard reset. I reloaded a map and some waypoints and tested the unit briefly during lunch. So far, so good. It seems to be working as it should. I'll check it out more thoroughly this afternoon and post my results.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I called Garmin this morning and the rep had me perform a hard reset. I reloaded a map and some waypoints and tested the unit briefly during lunch. So far, so good. It seems to be working as it should. I'll check it out more thoroughly this afternoon and post my results.

How did you do the reset or do I need to call Garmin to do this? My legend C has always done this. Spins the map and the compass pointer when I am stopped. It is annoying.

Also... check to see if you are using the Battery Saver mode. Mine works much better in tree cover, and the screens are much more stable when I use Normal mode instead of Battery Saver mode.

The batteries last a ton of time anyway. And be sure that you are set for the correct battery type.

Fred

To reset the Venture Cx, I pressed "page" "power" and "enter" at the same time. After the prompt, this does erase all user data.

So what you are telling me is, if I have something I want to save, I should send it to the computer before I do this ( and then bring it back in after I do this reset ) or I will lose all my specially marked waypoints.

To reset the Venture Cx, I pressed "page" "power" and "enter" at the same time. After the prompt, this does erase all user data.

So what you are telling me is, if I have something I want to save, I should send it to the computer before I do this ( and then bring it back in after I do this reset ) or I will lose all my specially marked waypoints.

UPDATE

My Venture started doing the map spin again. I was in map setup turning off the display of some maps when it started. It was still doing it this morning, on the way to work, whenever I stopped for more than a few seconds. Apparently the hard reset is not a permanent fix.

I did another hard reset and it stopped again. I'll continue to test it but it looks like I'm going to have to call Garmin again.

Isn't this issue just normal for not having an electronic compass? Since once you stop, it has no idea which way you are facing, so it sounds like the garmin is doing it's best to orient the map to what it *thinks* is the direction you are facing. I guess it should lust leave the map alone when stopped, just because this sounds incredible annoying to have the map spin around if you are not moving.

Thanks for the comment. I tried switching to North Up. The map no longer spins but my icon still does, continuously when I'm not moving.

I did experience the same once. I was waiting for the train, and was investigating, and testing some of the things that I might have missed.

I tried something, no changes, tried something else... You know how it goes. Then suddenly my pointer was spinning around, like you explain.

Now I had to do a memory-scan for a couple of redo's. When switching of "Speed filter" my pointer stayed stead again, if I wasn't moving.

On my eTrex Legend Cx its at: Main menu->Setup->Marine->Speed filter. It should stay at "Auto". Haven't investigated what it is supposed to do, but you might want to try changing that setting.

Y.s

Thomas

Thanks, I have not changed this setting, as far as I know, but I'll check it out.

I reset my unit a couple of days ago and it has been working fine again. One thing that I had not previously mentioned is that I had maps from metroguide 7 installed and had loaded with autorouting data using a method that I read about in these forums. I did not install autorouting data when I reloaded my maps.

Not sure if this will make a difference but want to test everything before I write my problems off as a defective unit.

I called Garming today about my Legend C spinning. All this guy told me was to switch to North up. To say the least I am not happy with his answer. My map does not spin now but I prefer track up. Guess I'll call again and hopefully get someone more knowledgeable.

I called Garming today about my Legend C spinning. All this guy told me was to switch to North up. To say the least I am not happy with his answer. My map does not spin now but I prefer track up. Guess I'll call again and hopefully get someone more knowledgeable.

I don't know if the Legend C is the same but I checked the "Speed Filter"setting mentioned previously by tcorell and found that changing this setting does indeed cause my map to spin. I don't think that has been my problem (unless tweaking somewhere else also caused this to change) but you might want to check it.

Thanks for the comment. I tried switching to North Up. The map no longer spins but my icon still does, continuously when I'm not moving.

I did experience the same once. I was waiting for the train, and was investigating, and testing some of the things that I might have missed.

I tried something, no changes, tried something else... You know how it goes. Then suddenly my pointer was spinning around, like you explain.

Now I had to do a memory-scan for a couple of redo's. When switching of "Speed filter" my pointer stayed stead again, if I wasn't moving.

On my eTrex Legend Cx its at: Main menu->Setup->Marine->Speed filter. It should stay at "Auto". Haven't investigated what it is supposed to do, but you might want to try changing that setting.

Y.s

Thomas

Thank you tcorell. I have a smile on my face now. You should be a Garmin Tech. That stopped everything from spinning on my Legend C.

Thanks to Team Wilson for pointing out your post. I had missed it.

i really don't think there's anything wrong with any of your gps's. I've have at least 4 or 5 legend cx's, and venture cx, and at least a couple of legend c's (yeah i know, gps geek)...this is common behavior when a gps is not moving...it updates every second...each update reports a slightly different position because it isn't 100% accurate..so your gps is "moving" and the map (or pointer, depending on north up or track up) to indicate how the gps believes it is travelling....i think your gps's are behaving normally.

Edited by GreatCanadian

i really don't think there's anything wrong with any of your gps's. I've have at least 4 or 5 legend cx's, and venture cx, and at least a couple of legend c's (yeah i know, gps geek)...this is common behavior when a gps is not moving...it updates every second...each update reports a slightly different position because it isn't 100% accurate..so your gps is "moving" and the map (or pointer, depending on north up or track up) to indicate how the gps believes it is travelling....i think your gps's are behaving normally.

Thanks for your input but I'm talking continous 360 degree map and compass spin, not a slight drift. I also have several other GPSrs and my venture cx is the only one that has done this. Anyway, it has stopped

for now so maybe it's cured.

Thanks for your input but I'm talking continous 360 degree map and compass spin, not a slight drift. I also have several other GPSrs and my venture cx is the only one that has done this. Anyway, it has stopped

for now so maybe it's cured.

That's what I had a 360 degree spin. It seems cured. What is strange is I just go an email from Garmin. It said there was a software update for my Legend C.

a 360 degree spin would mean it didn't spin at all...at least not in one movement...do you mean a 180 degree spin? Take this example..If you are moving North and stop. If the next reading from the satellites indicates a position a couple meters south of your position, your map (or pointer) will turn 180 degrees because your gps thinks you just travelled south. Normal behavior. I am not saying that there is nothing wrong with your gps's, but IF this is the type of behavior it is exhibiting (that's what i'm getting from the post so far), then this is normal behavior.

Edited by GreatCanadian

a 360 degree spin would mean it didn't spin at all...at least not in one movement...do you mean a 180 degree spin? Take this example..If you are moving North and stop. If the next reading from the satellites indicates a position a couple meters south of your position, your map (or pointer) will turn 180 degrees because your gps thinks you just travelled south. Normal behavior. I am not saying that there is nothing wrong with your gps's, but IF this is the type of behavior it is exhibiting (that's what i'm getting from the post so far), then this is normal behavior.

No . That's not it. !80 degree movement of the compass needle would be more of a turn, not a spin.

What I'm talking about is complete and constant 360 degree rotation of compass needle or map.

Based on what my other GPSrs are doing and what other users have posted, a continous spinning

is not normal. My 60Cx doesn't do it and my Foretrex's don't do it.

Anyway, this is not happening now. All is well. Thanks for your input.

Hey, sorry if you think i'm trying to convince you that you're wrong. That's not my intent. I am genuinely interested in this and am just trying to figure out EXACTLY what's happening. Obviously I am not understanding it correctly. In any case, please post back if it happens again. I'd like to know. I am a Legend CX fan (even though i now own 60cx) and want to know if this is an error from design, or just a cranky unit.

No . That's not it. !80 degree movement of the compass needle would be more of a turn, not a spin.

What I'm talking about is complete and constant 360 degree rotation of compass needle or map.

Based on what my other GPSrs are doing and what other users have posted, a continous spinning

is not normal. My 60Cx doesn't do it and my Foretrex's don't do it.

Anyway, this is not happening now. All is well. Thanks for your input.