Change basemaps on etrex Legend Cx and Venture Cx ?

Does any one know if it is possible to change basemaps on the Ledgend Cx and Venture Cx?

Thanks

Basemaps are laoded from factory and can not be changed. You can toggle any of your Map Tiles (Mapping Programs) on or off (to view or not to view) on your GPSr. If on your Map Screen: Menu > Setup Map > "i" > Menu and high light map and Enter.

So would it be a mistake to buy a Legend Cx or Venture Cx with a US basemap even though I will mainly use it in Europe?

NO, NO

I have a 60CSX with the NA basemap and have coped with it since last June. It works well it Wales!!!!!! :)

You are now able to load a new European basemap into the micro SD card at the same time as the detailed maps!

So would it be a mistake to buy a Legend Cx or Venture Cx with a US basemap even though I will mainly use it in Europe?

Strumble is correct, as usual. Very few people use the basemap in any meaningful way. Whatever "detailed" (ie, uploaded) maps you buy or download will provide the mapset you use in real life.

The link I provided points to a basemap-like worldmap that you could upload to your CX to get the near-equivilant of a european/world basemap. it is provided by Garmin for different purposes but you can technically snag it for your own uses.

If you do decide to buy detailed European maps, do your self and a favor and do a search on "strumble metroguide" first.

Ah, thats great. For some reason I thought the basemap acted like a "boundary" that limited any purchased maps "overlayed" on to it. But from what you say here, its more of an extra that doesn't limit the receiver at all. It can be sidestepped completely if needed.

What does strumble metroguide mean? Sorry, its probably blindingly obvious. I am a total newbie to GPS.

Personally, I think it's best to have a gps that does NOT have the preloaded basemap of your area. For example, my GPS has a European basemap. That's what I chose. I live in Canada, and my Topo Canada maps and autorouting Metroguide maps eliminate the need for a North American basemap. However, for the few times I travel to Europe, I have at least a European basemap. Much better than having a North American basemap on my GPS and zero maps for Europe.