Gold Mine in SW OK

dtmyers

Years ago we found a gold mine in SW Oklahoma near Altus. I want to find it again, but I can't find it as an active cache.

You could almost drive to the mine. In fact, when you parked, you would be very close to a large wooden sign describing the mine. To paraphrase, the sign said that gold hunter purchased the mine and built the structure, but never did find much gold. So, they walked into the mine with a shotgun packed with gold dust, and with a little creative gold dust wall painting, they were able to sell the mine for a large profit. They then disappeared.

The structure is distintive. As I recall, there were three large cement structures that looked like huge steps, and on the top there was a water tower built out of rock and cement. The cache was hidden in the rocks of the water tower.

We never could find the actual cache, so I can't look at my old cache finds, and I can't find a cached that matches this description. I think that it was deactivate.

Does anyone know where this mine is located, or does anyone know how to search historical cache logs? If I could search the cache logs, I could search for my old username, and I would eventually find the cache.

Any help?

Years ago we found a gold mine in SW Oklahoma near Altus. I want to find it again, but I can't find it as an active cache.

You could almost drive to the mine. In fact, when you parked, you would be very close to a large wooden sign describing the mine. To paraphrase, the sign said that gold hunter purchased the mine and built the structure, but never did find much gold. So, they walked into the mine with a shotgun packed with gold dust, and with a little creative gold dust wall painting, they were able to sell the mine for a large profit. They then disappeared.

The structure is distintive. As I recall, there were three large cement structures that looked like huge steps, and on the top there was a water tower built out of rock and cement. The cache was hidden in the rocks of the water tower.

We never could find the actual cache, so I can't look at my old cache finds, and I can't find a cached that matches this description. I think that it was deactivate.

Does anyone know where this mine is located, or does anyone know how to search historical cache logs? If I could search the cache logs, I could search for my old username, and I would eventually find the cache.

Any help?

If you made a DNF log for it, you can check out all of your DNF's you have gotten over the years at your account on www.geocaching.com. I hope this helps.