Another stupid question.

Ms Pris

Ok..... like I have mentioned before I have only found one cache so far. But I have been told that there are some where you get a trinket and leave a trinket. Now.... I dont want to leave something dissapointing. Do you think that foreign coins are a stupid thing to leave? As a numismatist... i buy coin in bulk and often many duplicates. what do others leave and how do you do it? are the containers larger to accomedate trinkets?

I'm a rockhound and polish rocks in a tumbler. I leave a couple of polished rocks in the cache, that is, when absent-minded me remembers to take some along when I leave home. Even when I leave some rocks, I hardly ever take anything. Quite often, I leave nothing - take nothing. From these forums many cachers do that - TN, LN. For me the thrill is in the hunt (and hiking through a woods) and not what's in the cache. My leaving some polished rocks is my way of showing my appreciation of other cachers for hiding their caches.

Ok..... like I have mentioned before I have only found one cache so far. But I have been told that there are some where you get a trinket and leave a trinket. Now.... I dont want to leave something dissapointing. Do you think that foreign coins are a stupid thing to leave? As a numismatist... i buy coin in bulk and often many duplicates. what do others leave and how do you do it? are the containers larger to accomedate trinkets?

We are new also and experimenting with trade items. Since we do this mainly for the kids, we tried to think of something that kids would like.

We thought of the same idea of you and probably others. We bought foreign/world coins in bulk and packaged them in paper cases made for coins. Then we put a sticker with our team name on them. My thought is that kids would in most instances think they were really neat. (Our kids do. 8 and 4) Some we leave out of the package for caches where a packaged coin will not work. I have found that in many cases loose coins will fit in micros. Even though we dont take something from them, its fun to leave for the next kid who will enjoy his find.

Any kid can get a McToy and has dozens if not more anyway. But a unique/different coin for their area- we thought they would like.

I have also heard of leaving dateless buffalo nickels. We can get locally for about .23 a piece. I found this out after our last batch of coins. We dont need to refill on swag yet- but this is also an option.

I also like to leave carabiners as i find them useful to both adults and kids.

I wonder what others think of finding these world coins in a cache? If you have kids- would they like it, or would they rather have the McToy?

Edited by knight2000

I wonder what others think of finding these world coins in a cache? If you have kids- would they like it, or would they rather have the McToy?

My kids are my caching partners, and generally they will pass on McToys unless of course it follows a certain theme, we once traded for a Happy Feet toy because one of them collects penguins. For the most part the kids look at all of the contents and say some are cute little things, or look at that, but generally there hasn't been a lot that's really been a must have. They are more into caching for the hunt, which is great! If there's something they want it's just an added bonus for them. As for foreign coins, they'd probably love that.

Love foreign coins! :)B)

I think that foreign coins are a FABULOUS trinket to leave, and I would be delighted to find some in a cache!

Prepare yourself for disappointment, however ... I've more or less given up on the trinket exchange aspect of the hobby, as it seems so rare to find anything in a cache that's even remotely desirable. So don't be surprised if there's nothing there you want in return ....

But bravo, go ahead! It's a lovely idea.

-- Jeannette

My sig item is a mini zip loc baggie with a couple Dutch Stuivers in it. On the outside I stick on a mini address label that says GeoSpyder, Sparks, Nevada USA

When caching outside the US I replace the Dutch Stuivers with Sacagawea Dollar coins. So I guess you could say that I agree that coins are the way to go.

I do have one suggestion - if you leave coins, take the time to put them in a small mini zip loc baggie. You can pick them up at Wally World or just about any craft store. Why I don't know - but there is just something about loose coins in the bottom of a cache container that I don't like. I mean money is money but for some reason I dislike loose change just lying in a cache. Just a strange pet peeve ;)

I dont want to leave something dissapointing. Do you think that foreign coins are a stupid thing to leave?

I think that foreign coins are a great swag item for all ages to enjoy. I also leave foreign coins, fossils and polished agates. Have fun and let the adventure begin! ;)

I do have one suggestion - if you leave coins, take the time to put them in a small mini zip loc baggie. You can pick them up at Wally World or just about any craft store. Why I don't know - but there is just something about loose coins in the bottom of a cache container that I don't like. I mean money is money but for some reason I dislike loose change just lying in a cache. Just a strange pet peeve ;)

Yes, you are not alone on this one geospyder! I also place my coins, fossils, and polished stones inside labeled mini baggies. ;)

The kids and I love finding coins in caches. We have a shelf in our living room where we keep our favorite 'treasures' from our caching trips that has a lot of coins on it. One thing that I try to do with them is to sit down and figure out where the coin is from, a little about the country, how much the coin is worth in US $. I figure that adding a little geography to our caching can't be a bad thing! They have learned about many different places this way. We picked up a coin from Jordan this weekend that we plan on researching tomorrow night after dinner. Then it can take its rightful place on the shelf!

What do you think about leaving them like this? I know it wont protect against mositure- but in theory a cache should be dry.

My husband and I are also new to Geocaching, and are trying to come up with good ideas for swag. I like the idea of foreign coins (but not Canadian). My husband travels a lot for work, and goes to conferences several times a year. He likes to pick up trinkets given out by vendors and software companies: things like mini carabiners, mini flashlights, key rings, pens, and so on. I think these will make good swag, along with items like dice, marbles, small balls or hackey sacks, and other toys.

What do you think about leaving them like this? I know it wont protect against mositure- but in theory a cache should be dry.

I think that's cool (oops - showing my age) It show some thought - not just pocket change dumped in the cache.

The kids and I love finding coins in caches. We have a shelf in our living room where we keep our favorite 'treasures' from our caching trips that has a lot of coins on it. One thing that I try to do with them is to sit down and figure out where the coin is from, a little about the country, how much the coin is worth in US $. I figure that adding a little geography to our caching can't be a bad thing! They have learned about many different places this way. We picked up a coin from Jordan this weekend that we plan on researching tomorrow night after dinner. Then it can take its rightful place on the shelf!

Here in the USA we tend to toss pennies in a jar/can/bag - what ever. My wife is from the Netherlands. When her father passed away a few years ago we were going through his house with the sisters trying to determine what to do with the stuff. We found bags of Dutch Stuivers (copper five cent coins). We could have taken them into Amsterdam to a central bank to convert them to Euros but opted not to. It took me a couple trips but I brought back quite a few thousand of them. I took the time (lots of time) to go through them to cull out the ones that were worth selling. The rest I've been using as a sig item as described in my post above. Depending on the date and condition, each coin is worth from $1 to $10 catalog value. But as you collectors know - if you get half of catalog value you are really doing good.

Edited by geospyder