Cemeteries

One of the things that is certainly NOT part of the customary use of cemeteries is the placing of foreign objects for the purpose of visitors who may or may not have any other interest in the cemetery to record their visit. (caching)
Cemetaries are for visiting. You are allowed to walk, hike, bike, drive (at least locally), sit and eat lucnh, get married, pray, take photo's, take rubbings, leave flowers, or stones, or coins, make notes, bird watch, steal a kiss, and even kick the bucket.

Believe it or not, I've seen cemeteries that wouldn't even allow you to leave flowers. Go figure... :blink:

In my attempt to start the BC Spirit Quest series I've learned more about local cemeteries than I ever cared to know.

Here in British Columbia most cemeteries may have started private decades ago (religious or social groups) but got taken over by the local city governments in the 1930's, 40's and 50's due to rising maintance costs. The public ones are signed exactly the same as public parks are. "City of____ XYZ Cemetery" No Motorbikes, No dogs etc. Closes at dusk and opens at dawn" The signs match the parks signs and the parks departments mow the lawns.

Policies vary, but most allow flowers (fake and real) toys, stuffed animals, statues, vases, little signs, photos, and other stuff in the cemeteries. What would adding a little concealed box in a tree detract from that?

I agree we need to be respectful and I emphasize respect and no night caching on the cache page.

:anicute: I have one in a cemetery. It is the only 1 of my 8 caches that I did get permission for. My description gives the instructions given by the director concerning when we could be there, and also that he provided a typed 2 page history that must be left in the cache. I had wanted to use the history in the cache descriptive remarks. :anicute:

After two months I printed all the log notes and took them to the director. He was suprised at the number of visits from across the USA, and pleased by the cashers observations. I have not gone into mass production of caches, but he did tell me that the company owned 7 other cemeteries within 30 miles of here and I could place caches on them. :anicute:

Visiting with the company management, showing them the reports on caches located in other cemeteries, and not being in a rush. That would probably solve most if not all the problems. If not, get over it and go somewhere else. It is their loss. The more cachers walking thru their property the safer it is! Remember this is a game to be enjoyed.

And yes, I have had troubles getting a cache approved. We emailed back and forth. And it worked out eventually.

My Dad spent the last several years of his career as the Superintendent of cemeteries for the town where I grew up. The town was very old, and a couple of the cemeteries had several headstones that were between 200-300 years old. He loved seeing visitors, and even kept some of the older records available for viewing.

Where's this going?

Not far, just wanted to say that cemeteries are creepy to some. But many of us enjoy visiting them for the history, genealogy, a visit to our loved ones, or just to find a peaceful place to rest our weary feet. I would definitely check w/the local management of the particular cometary, you'll probably find him/her more welcoming than you may think. You may even learn a thing or two.