New geocacher. any suggestions on a kit?

Ms Pris

I am new to geocahing. Only found one so far. Can anyone make suggestions of things to put in a geocaching kit? Obviously things like Flashlight.... pen paper.... trinkets....but... i found a poker of some sort would have been helpful at one.... tweezers at another.... any other suggestions?

Sorry about all the misspellings. I have a splitting headache and my nonvisual typing could use soem improvement?

Edited by Ms Pris

Hello !

Welcome to the new fun and exciting sport of geocaching , i too am new but i thought i might make a few suggestions

Get a small packsac , gloves, small first aid kit, bug repellant , a small journal for notes, a digital camera if you have one, great souvenirs when you look back at them,plastic bags, bottled water, extra batteries for your gps (you d'ont want to end up with a dead gps in the woods, happened to me) a long pair of pants if your bag can handel it in case of heavy brush, evidently your cell phone, a walking stick is handy on uneven terrain and also good to scare off a critter(lol) naturaly without harming it , also good to poke around before sticking your hand in a hole or crevace, flashlight,small poncho in case of rain , a big plastic garbage bag can do the trick to if your stuck in a downpour, never go by yourself and try to let someone know where your going just in case, im sure theres a lot im forgetting or d'ont know , there are lots of experienced people in these forums that can help !

Welcome to the family and happy geocaching !

Lets know of your experiences ! and almost forgot Practicce safe Geocaching , please read articule

Rocker-Mtl :anicute:

Tons of extra batteries, I think I probably have at least a pack of 20 in my car right now!!!!

Also, we have a local cacher that makes Cache Repair Kits with ductape and containers, camo, and plenty of other fun extras if you are interested.

I also find it necessary to take my unicyle from time to time, but thats just me.

Have Fun

I am new to geocahing. Only found one so far. Can anyone make suggestions of things to put in a geocaching kit? Obviously things like Flashlight.... pen paper.... trinkets....but... i found a poker of some sort would have been helpful at one.... tweezers at another.... any other suggestions?

Sorry about all the misspellings. I have a splitting headache and my nonvisual typing could use soem improvement?

There's a good thread on here somewhere about things to put in a kit. Along with good hiking shoes because tennis shoes don't always cut it... Unfortunately, I can't find the thread at the moment or I'd point you to it. Extra batteries for sure. Compass. We put tweezers in ours after finding a micro-micro! Also some sort of knife to help open if needed.

I've read some posts about drying out caches that had water in them. We ran across two that made me wish we had paper towels or some sort of rag to help dry things out. Don't know how practical that is. And if you have a rag that then gets wet, a ziploc baggie would be nice to keep it away from everything else until you get back home. Sunscreen. Hat or other headcovering. I keep a log book in my bag to write what we took/left as well as any notes about the cache (like it being wet) so I remember to post that info. And I've got my GPS manual in my pack but haven't had to refer to it yet. :anicute:

Hello !

Welcome to the new fun and exciting sport of geocaching , i too am new but i thought i might make a few suggestions

Get a small packsac , gloves, small first aid kit, bug repellant , a small journal for notes, a digital camera if you have one, great souvenirs when you look back at them,plastic bags, bottled water, extra batteries for your gps (you d'ont want to end up with a dead gps in the woods, happened to me) a long pair of pants if your bag can handel it in case of heavy brush, evidently your cell phone, a walking stick is handy on uneven terrain and also good to scare off a critter(lol) naturaly without harming it , also good to poke around before sticking your hand in a hole or crevace, flashlight,small poncho in case of rain , a big plastic garbage bag can do the trick to if your stuck in a downpour, never go by yourself and try to let someone know where your going just in case, im sure theres a lot im forgetting or d'ont know , there are lots of experienced people in these forums that can help !

Welcome to the family and happy geocaching !

Lets know of your experiences ! and almost forgot Practicce safe Geocaching , please read articule

Rocker-Mtl :anicute:

More good suggestions! I use the GPS on my phone. Also use the camera on my phone too. What a handy all in one thing :anicute:. As for company.... I will always either go with my husband or my parents aka geoldfogeys. I will probably spend more time at ones that I dont have to go too off the beaten path for a while. In Texas we are just about to hit the hot season and I am not an outdoorsy kinda girl. None the less As I have kinda noticed... most of them are only a short walk from civilization... but then again... here in Houston there is not much that is not developed. At least not between Galveston and Houston where I am.

A pencil. I prefer pen myself, but sometimes a pencil is better.

A compact mirror or a mechanic's mirror can come in handy.

I don't take a big pack with me in an attempt to be inconspicuous, however I have found I wished desparately that I had a nice leather glove and a walking stick on more than one occaision. I intend to purchase a collapsing stick that I hope will fit into the pack I use (but not so sure it will). If it doesn't, it will at least remainin the car at all times so I have it with me as an option to take.

I have a flashlight packed but have not had to use yet.

Cell phone. I have found that even though I feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere, I've never been anywhere (yet) that I didn't have cell phone coverage.

I recently invested in a "mid-sized" can of pepper spray. For critters of all kinds (just in case).

My inhaler (can get wheezy when vigorously exercising....like climing steep hills).

Camera is a definite. I'm glad I developed the habit of taking that with me right out of the gate. I won't lie...it can be a pain to have yet one more thing stuffed in the bag, but I have gotten some nice pictures and looking forward to many more, and in fact, am even considering a camera upgrade because the slowness of mine has frustrated me a few times trying to get pictures of the wildlife.

Palm Pilot (I'm paperless). Some extra pens (sharpies and a regular ballpoint). Stamp pad and stamp for signing caches (this is just me...most use a pen/pencil). Batteries!

That's all I can think of right now. I apply bug spray before venturing out and I haven't been gone more than 3 - 4 hours at a time so haven't felt the need to take spray on the hike. I do, however, have 2 bug towlettes just in case.

Oh, don't forget swag if you are inclined to trade.

ETA: Hiking boots (or at the very least, hiking shoes) are an absolute must if hiking! I have never worn boots hiking...always wore tenners. A coworker vehemently insisted that when hiking one needed to wear dedicated hiking shoes of some type, and she personally insisted even the shoe type wasn't good enough and that one had to have the ankle support and be an actual boot. Now that I'm wearing them, I absolutely agree with her. Hiking in tenners is downright dangerous. I know for a fact that I have been saved at least twice from possibly breaking an ankle and/or falling flat on my face or butt because I was wearing boots. I will never hike without them again. Hard to believe I'm almost 40 and never realized how important this one piece of equipment is. Now I'm not going to insist you must wear a boot with full ankle support as that is a personal decision...but the point is those dedicated hiking shoes DO make a difference. So at the very least the hiking shoes...and for ankle support go with a boot.

Edited by French.

A thought has come to me about cell phones a few times especially when I'm out in some more remote spots of state parks or even city parks If you had to call for help, say you fell and broke a leg, could you tell the rescuers were to find you? Like even the name of the park? I don't always pay attention to all of that myself. I know, obviously, you could tell them the coords, but that may delay things while they try to figure it out.

A thought has come to me about cell phones a few times especially when I'm out in some more remote spots of state parks or even city parks If you had to call for help, say you fell and broke a leg, could you tell the rescuers were to find you? Like even the name of the park? I don't always pay attention to all of that myself. I know, obviously, you could tell them the coords, but that may delay things while they try to figure it out.

Well most of the time if you have GPS on the phone... the phone can send a signal. I know I have mine set to send a signal to emergency 911. So you dont really have to know where. Now even if you dont.... if you can tell them coordinates.... they should be able to pull it up. I have never worked in the 911 dispatch but I assume that they should be able to do that. Most of the phones now a days come with GPS automatically enabled for 911 location only.

Edited by Ms Pris

I have an el cheapo cell phone. It automatically sends location information if you call 911. Mine has an option to also send location information to the cell phone network. So if the car broke down near the side of the road I wouldn't have to describe my location to them.