Newbie GPS review? Etrex Venture Cx

seabee89

That GPSr is an excellent choice. You will have to buy the memory card for it and the USB cable, but you probably already have one of those since they are used on digital cameras and other electronic equipment.

I have a similar GPSr, the Vista C, and I got the Topo maps on eBay, and then got the City Navigator maps in a combination pack with the beanbag automount and the cigarette-lighter adapter. You can use it for Geocaching without getting the maps, however.

Welcome to the Addiction! :anicute:

From what I read on these forums, people love it. I personally got the Vista. Color screen wasn't as important to me, and what I really wanted was an electronic compass. On my first cache I was using a friends Legend, and it had me walking all over the place looking for the cache, because it didn't know which way I was facing. Sometimes when getting within 800 feet of a geocache, walking fast and in a straight line so that the GPSr can calculate your heading isn't an easy or safe option. But again, that's just me. I've seen glowing reviews for the model you are looking at.

That GPSr is an excellent choice. You will have to buy the memory card for it and the USB cable, but you probably already have one of those since they are used on digital cameras and other electronic equipment.

I have a similar GPSr, the Vista C, and I got the Topo maps on eBay, and then got the City Navigator maps in a combination pack with the beanbag automount and the cigarette-lighter adapter. You can use it for Geocaching without getting the maps, however.

Welcome to the Addiction! :anicute:

Thanks! Can't wait to get out and find the first cache with my daughter!