Camo Ammo Cans

DSC03608.JPG

I was able to snag a few free minutes here and there this last weekend to paint some ammo cans. I was experimenting with different colors and foliage types. Having never done it before I thought they turned out pretty cool and wanted share what I put together.

The bottom row still needs to be painted but you get the idea. I think I'll go around to some of the "typical" Virginia hide spots (woods, creeks, tall grass areas, rock beds, etc.), and snap some photos to see how closely I can get the cans to blend. Anyways, I just thought you might like to see what I put together.

Anybody else have any photos of their own camo creations?

MoonGecko

Oh man! I want to make some of those! I just asked my wife where someone would get the moss and dried brush... apparently she has experience with the stuff and told me the craft store sells it. Too cool. I'm all over it. My next camo ammo can is going to be totally fury!

Moonie

I wonder how well the dried moss and stuff would hold up to the weather? I would imagine that about 3 months of rain/snow/sleet/hail etc, you'd be left with a pretty naked ammo can. just my thought.

Good point! Clan Riffster, how do those cans hold up under the unforgiving natural elements and heck even the unforgiving hands of fellow cachers? I imagine there has to be some wear and tear!

Of course a good half inch thick coat of high-gloss industrial shellac would probably do the trick, but the ultra shine and reflective glare would probably take away from the clever camo job. :anicute:

Moonie

I wonder how well the dried moss and stuff would hold up to the weather?

It really depends on the location. The ingredients of the camo, (sheet moss, Spanish moss, crushed palmetto fronds, pine bark) are all common ingredients found in nature. The Excellsior is actually shredded aspen, (I think), and it is died during the manufacturing process. The die will bleach somewhat if left exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods of time. Most of my hides are in reasonably dry locations, and the camo holds up very well. Some have been out there two years without any significant degridation. If the camo sits in moisture, the silicon adhesive turns milky and breaks down. Whichever side of the can is gonna be touching the ground will not get any camo, which seems to help. One of my cans, hidden in a wetland, had to have one face redone, because something had flipped the can over, and after being in direct contact with the moist soil, that side turned milky.