Do you feel Geocaching has changed over the years?

A wise man once told me, "In order to get respect, you have to give respect." I've always found that to be true :laughing:
I respect lots of people including you and most people in these threads. However, I do not respect people that twist my (or others) words around to make themselves look good at the expense of others. That is a lack of respect on their part. It's ironic that some these people that have a holier than thou attitude, when it comes to being respectful when they are overtly disrespectful themselves. Golden rule...Yea right....Give me a fricking break... :laughing:
I assume that you were making a thinly veiled reference to my post:
Whether one is religious or not: Who can argue with the Golden Rule?
I agree.
Then you agree that one should show the same respect for others' preferences that one demands FROM others?

You agree that if cacher A insists that cacher B place caches designed specifically to satisfy the entertainment needs of cacher A, that cacher B should expect the very same courtesy from cacher A?

Respect is earned. I don't hand it out like candy. However, I will always try be polite to others until they are rude to me. Plus nobody is "insisting" anything. Show me where anybody has "insisted" or demanded" anything in this thread. The OP asked if things have gotten better or worse. IMHO urban caching has gotten worse and higher terrain caches are pretty much the same but there are more of them.
Am I wrong to take away from that post that you only respect people who make decisions that you agree with?
Clearly, I was making an honest effort to get you to clarify your statement. I'm wondering if you would do us all a favor and answer my question.

Thanks in advance.

The answer would be of course I do not disrespect people because of how they play a game unless they are dishonest and cheat. In that case, their behavior would refect poorly on their character. You are what you do. :laughing:
A wise man once told me, "In order to get respect, you have to give respect." I've always found that to be true :laughing:
I respect lots of people including you and most people in these threads. However, I do not respect people that twist my (or others) words around to make themselves look good at the expense of others. That is a lack of respect on their part. It's ironic that some these people that have a holier than thou attitude, when it comes to being respectful when they are overtly disrespectful themselves. Golden rule...Yea right....Give me a fricking break... :laughing:
I assume that you were making a thinly veiled reference to my post:
I agree.
Then you agree that one should show the same respect for others' preferences that one demands FROM others?

You agree that if cacher A insists that cacher B place caches designed specifically to satisfy the entertainment needs of cacher A, that cacher B should expect the very same courtesy from cacher A?

Respect is earned. I don't hand it out like candy. However, I will always try be polite to others until they are rude to me. Plus nobody is "insisting" anything. Show me where anybody has "insisted" or demanded" anything in this thread. The OP asked if things have gotten better or worse. IMHO urban caching has gotten worse and higher terrain caches are pretty much the same but there are more of them.
Am I wrong to take away from that post that you only respect people who make decisions that you agree with?
Clearly, I was making an honest effort to get you to clarify your statement. I'm wondering if you would do us all a favor and answer my question.

Thanks in advance.

The answer would be of course I do not disrespect people because of how they play a game unless they are dishonest and cheat. In that case, their behavior would refect poorly on their character. You are what you do. :laughing:

You didn't quite answer my question, but close enough, I guess.

I agree.

Respect is earned. I don't hand it out like candy. However, I will always try be polite to others until they are rude to me. Plus nobody is "insisting" anything. Show me where anybody has "insisted" or demanded" anything in this thread.

I never claimed any of the "insisting" or "demanding" happened in this thread. I think you know what I'm talking about. You've made it quite clear in many other threads what your opinions are regarding those who hide certain types of caches you don't care for. You state your gripes on a regular basis, and you do so using descriptive language that most would interpret as mockery and ridicule. (Does “Velvet Elvis” ring a bell?) The only motive I can determine for the constant complaining and belittling is that you want to encourage those folks to stop hiding so many of those caches you don't like. You want them to change their game play for your convenience. What other possible motivation could there be for your endless griping?

I was simply asking whether you thought it might be reasonable for others to expect YOU to modify the way YOU place caches if those others were to similarly rant on a regular basis about the types of caches YOU place.

Respect is earned. I don't hand it out like candy.

Agreed. Just remember: You gotta give it in order to get it.

Golden rule...Yea right....Give me a fricking break... :laughing:

Well, I suppose that answers that question. :laughing:

I have been good in this thread. Are holding a grudge? I'm sure you wouldn't do that because you follow the golden rule and wouldn't like it if someone did that to you...right? :laughing: Edited by TrailGators
Golden rule...Yea right....Give me a fricking break... :laughing:

Well, I suppose that answers that question. :laughing:

Are you taking lessons from the liberal media by quoting me out of context?

Out of context? Here is the original context:

I respect lots of people including you and most people in these threads. However, I do not respect people that twist my (or others) words around to make themselves look good at the expense of others. That is a lack of respect on their part. It's ironic that some these people that have a holier than thou attitude, when it comes to being respectful when they are overtly disrespectful themselves. Golden rule...Yea right....Give me a fricking break... :blink:

Please tell me how your comments, in that context, are NOT intended to mock my suggestion that folks live by the Golden Rule.

My point was that you are preaching the golden rule and yet you treat others (with an opinion that is contrary to yours) in a manner that you would never treat yourself.

If you believe I've been hypocritical in this regard, please back up your claim with something specific -- a link or a quote. Otherwise I'll expect you to stop treating me in a way that you would most likely NOT prefer to "have others do unto you."

I have not berated anyone in this thread. I'm am trying not to in this thread.

I will admit that, for the most part, you have behaved yourself in this thread. For the second time: I’m not just talking about this thread. Your thinly-veiled “Velvet Elvis” comment in the “Have you been swayed?” thread was quite derogatory toward other players, and it is only the latest such comment you’ve made.

Even in this very thread you have used belittling language – maybe without realizing it.

An example:

Geocaching is at different stages depending on where you go. These changes start in some areas and spread to other areas. Then they grow. So these items were rare at one time and are now commonplace in many areas. To me that's a change. It's kind of like having a flower bed and then watching the weeds pop up. The weeds were always there but you couldn't see them. :D

"Weeds," TG? Would you really enjoy hearing others describe your own cache hides as "weeds among the flowers?" If not, then why would you want to do that [unto] others?

But you are holding a grudge. I'm sure you are doing that because you follow the golden rule... :huh:

What is my grudge, TG? There is no grudge. I’m merely saying the same things to you that I would expect people to say to me were I to post such continuous, boorish and unnecessary gripes about other people’s cache hides.

Personal principle. Golden Rule.

There is no grudge. It’s simply a challenge. I’m challenging you to defend your decision to mock and criticize those who hide caches that don’t happen to please you. If your position is sound, then it should easily stand up to debate. Your obfuscation and defensiveness in place of logic doesn't do much to convince me of the soundness of your position.

Why do I speak up? Because silence can be mistaken for agreement.

I have not berated anyone in this thread. I'm am trying not to in this thread.
I will admit that, for the most part, you have behaved yourself in this thread. For the second time: I'm not just talking about this thread. Your thinly-veiled "Velvet Elvis" comment in the "Have you been swayed?" thread was quite derogatory toward other players, and it is only the latest such comment you've made.
What's so bad about saying Velvet Elvis? A lot of people like Velvet Elvis. Don't you? :laughing:

Even in this very thread you have used belittling language – maybe without realizing it. An example:
Geocaching is at different stages depending on where you go. These changes start in some areas and spread to other areas. Then they grow. So these items were rare at one time and are now commonplace in many areas. To me that's a change. It's kind of like having a flower bed and then watching the weeds pop up. The weeds were always there but you couldn't see them. :laughing:

"Weeds," TG? Would you really enjoy hearing others describe your own cache hides as "weeds among the flowers?" If not, then why would you want to do that [unto] others?

What is interesting is that I talk in generalities in these threads so my comments only target those that know their caches are weeds and not flowers. Whose cache did I just call a weed? Tell me? You can't because you have no idea. If you know that your caches are not weeds then you know that I'm not talking about your caches. On the other hand...the guilty man fleeth when no man pursueth. :laughing:
What is interesting is that I talk in generalities in these threads so my comments only target those that know their caches are weeds and not flowers. Whose cache did I just call a weed? Tell me? You can't because you have no idea. If you know that your caches are not weeds then you know that I'm not talking about your caches. On the other hand...the guilty man fleeth when no man pursueth. :laughing:

I'll put my hides up as collateral for my position against yours. Feel free to measure them against your own.

The problem I have with this is why bother to be negative at all? Just because you're not being specific, that doesn't coat your argument with teflon. :laughing:

I just got my advance copy of David Liban's new geocaching video of which I had a small part. The interesting thing about that video that pertains here is a quote by Jeremy's brother, Nate Irish. Nate said, "Geocaching is primarily a community driven sport. It doesn't appear that way when you first get started. It's just about you and your GPS and finding that cache in the woods, but without that person who goes out and places that cache there would be nothing for anyone else to find."

To me, your position is self serving. Your posts are mainly about you and your own selfish interest to improve the sport through negative demotivation. Be secure in the knowledge that many people share your side of the fence, but there are probably just as many on mine. :laughing:

Next time you call someone's efforts to contribute to the sport that were approved by existing guidelines a weed among your flowers, think about the fact that they may be new to the game, or a small child, or someone with a disability, or someone that is just blissfully unaware or just plain doesn't care about pleasing everyone. Geocaching doesn't exist to please you alone, nor will it ever bend into a pretzel to please everyone.

Edited by Snoogans

Over the last couple of pages, this thread has turned from "Do you feel Geocaching has changed over the years?" to "Nanny nanny boo boo". You guys can do that in private, can't you?

Shutting this meaningful discourse down, go outside, eh?

Quiggle