Do you feel Geocaching has changed over the years?

I also think that our present state of caching out here will be the future state of other areas... B) So if you want a glimpse into the future come out here or to some other area that has a very high cache density.

I made a quick comparison of your area and ours, using a five mile view. 60033513-662f-4ca1-b0b1-eb4ac428a00f.jpg

The red checks in the Lousiville view make it look more cluttered, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the two areas were pretty close as far as density.

Escondido is north of San Diego. It really isn't that dense at all. There are only 140K people of which 25% are here illegally (not joking) so they don't geocache. Move your map south towards San Diego and take a gander. B)
I saw the sidebar on the power trail issue, and have a couple of comments, that I think stay on topic. I know of very few true power trails--which I define as a place where one hider has placed a series of hides along one trail. In general, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to hunt along one of these; I seldom hurry to a park that is covered in caches by only one hider, either. I prefer variety in the caches I seek out. The more minds that are at work behind the hides in an area, the greater the chances the hides will be different--so I'd be drawn to an area where 10 people hid 10 caches faster than I would to a spot where 1 person hid 10 caches. Of course, no one has to find every cache just because it's out there--so if I wanted to do a certain trail and it had only hides by one person on it, I'd likely look over the caches to see which ones I wanted to find.

If you are ever out here, I hope you will seek out my caches. Even though I have placed several along trails, or rural roads, that did not have caches before, I put out different sizes and types of containers. Yesterday I placed two ammo cans, a Tupperware container, and two other small containers, each of them cammoed differently. B) The hide for this cache, "Slickrock Fun" is really great, even if I do say so myself. B)

Of course, just because a trail has caches fairly close together, doesn't mean it's a 'power trail' under the guidelines.
What's the difference if one or ten cachers place a cache every 528 feet along a trail? The net effect is the same. I think the guidelines attempted to steer people away from doing this, but the 528 foot rule is the letter of the law so that is what the reviewers have to follow. This was never an issue in the past but I think it is worth revisiting. Just my two cents. :mad: Maybe what they could do is create 10 smiley caches that must be a mile from any other cache. That way it would be more balanced and the numbers people would be happy too! :D

Perhaps you could just find one cache on each of ten visits to the trail. Otherwise, someone would call you a 'numbers person'.

I think this is another way geocaching has change over the years. It used to be if you found the for or five geocaches on a trail and a few weeks or months later saw there was one or two new caches on that trail, you would go and find the new caches and post something like "Thanks for the excuse to visit this great area again". Now I see people posting how they hate it when they've cleared out the 15 caches on a trail and the next week someone hides a new cache there. I actually get a lot of my FTFs that way now. When someone plants a power trail, I wait a few weeks. Then some hides one more cache on the trail and I run out and get the FTF on that and find the other 15 caches while I am there.

I love to geocache. As long as I continue to enjoy this pastime as much as I have, I’ll keep doing it. If I ever find that I’m not enjoying it anymore, I’ll stop.

As long as I keep enjoying any particular element of the game (Travel Bugs, easy micros, puzzle caches, creating new hides) I’ll continue participating in that element. If I ever find that I’m not enjoying that particular element anymore, I’ll stop.

What you will never hear me do is complain that my fellow cachers aren’t providing me with adequate amusement. When you boil caching down to its very essence, all any geocacher is ever really doing is attempting to provide a fun experience for another cacher. Sometimes those attempts succeed at entertaining me; sometimes they don’t. The point is that the attempt is provided to me completely free of charge; and by someone who is, almost by definition, nothing more than an amateur entertainer. I have the choice to either take it or leave it. If I don’t like the Travel Bug, I can leave the Travel Bug in the cache. If I don’t want to solve the convoluted puzzle cache that requires obscure knowledge, I can choose to bypass that puzzle. If I get tired of finding ammo cans in stump holes, I can go look for something different. What I will not do is gripe because someone failed to meet my arbitrarily set standard or my demand for minimum acceptable entertainment. Geocaching is what it is. If I’m not being satisfactorily entertained by the caching I chose to do, it’s my own fault.

I’ve been enjoying this game for almost five years now. The most disturbing change I see is the sharp increase in the number of cachers whose philosophy seems to be quite the opposite. Some people actually get upset or defensive when they read comments like the previous paragraph, and some even go as far as to personally attack those who dare to suggest such tolerance and acceptance. Maybe the level of discontent has actually grown, or maybe it was always there and I just didn’t see it because I never spent much time reading the forums back then. Either way – while I respect the right each person to express their opinion, I find that I have more and more trouble respecting whatever the underlying ideals are that would cause folks to look a gift cache in the mouth and to actually complain that their selfish standards aren’t being met.

The menu is deep and wide. If you don’t like fish sticks, be adventurous and order the daily Fresh Catch special – why complain to the waiter just because fish sticks are on the menu? If you don’t like the restaurant, go eat somewhere else – why berate the owner for owning the seafood restaurant you chose when it was really Italian food you wanted in the first place?

I wouldn’t say the complaining really bothers me. I just think it’s strange, illogical and unnecessary.

Aside from all that, I haven’t really seen any negative changes. There will always be the odd grumbler, bumbler or vandal here and there, but of course that’s true of anything, and it can’t be helped. As long as the owners of this website continue their great job of managing the wholesomeness and viability of the game, and as long as participants continue to follow the guidelines, I think that having an ever-growing quantity and variety of caches to choose from can only be a good thing.

As I read this thread, there were a lot of things I wanted to say. Then I got to this post. It sums up my feelings pretty well. Nice post KBI. Thanks!

And I really don't remember that many of the Early caches that really had a wow factor. In my first year of caching I can think of maybe 3 or 4 caches that had a wow factor, all the rest were oh yeah under the bush or under the rocks or the pile of sticks along side a trail.

I don't think any "old timer" will claim that all the caches 4-5 years ago had the "wow factor". It's just that the "Yuk factor" wasn't as prevalent.

I love to geocache. As long as I continue to enjoy this pastime as much as I have, I'll keep doing it. If I ever find that I'm not enjoying it anymore, I'll stop.

As long as I keep enjoying any particular element of the game (Travel Bugs, easy micros, puzzle caches, creating new hides) I'll continue participating in that element. If I ever find that I'm not enjoying that particular element anymore, I'll stop.

What you will never hear me do is complain that my fellow cachers aren't providing me with adequate amusement. When you boil caching down to its very essence, all any geocacher is ever really doing is attempting to provide a fun experience for another cacher. Sometimes those attempts succeed at entertaining me; sometimes they don't. The point is that the attempt is provided to me completely free of charge; and by someone who is, almost by definition, nothing more than an amateur entertainer. I have the choice to either take it or leave it. If I don't like the Travel Bug, I can leave the Travel Bug in the cache. If I don't want to solve the convoluted puzzle cache that requires obscure knowledge, I can choose to bypass that puzzle. If I get tired of finding ammo cans in stump holes, I can go look for something different. What I will not do is gripe because someone failed to meet my arbitrarily set standard or my demand for minimum acceptable entertainment. Geocaching is what it is. If I'm not being satisfactorily entertained by the caching I chose to do, it's my own fault.

I've been enjoying this game for almost five years now. The most disturbing change I see is the sharp increase in the number of cachers whose philosophy seems to be quite the opposite. Some people actually get upset or defensive when they read comments like the previous paragraph, and some even go as far as to personally attack those who dare to suggest such tolerance and acceptance. Maybe the level of discontent has actually grown, or maybe it was always there and I just didn't see it because I never spent much time reading the forums back then. Either way – while I respect the right each person to express their opinion, I find that I have more and more trouble respecting whatever the underlying ideals are that would cause folks to look a gift cache in the mouth and to actually complain that their selfish standards aren't being met.

The menu is deep and wide. If you don't like fish sticks, be adventurous and order the daily Fresh Catch special – why complain to the waiter just because fish sticks are on the menu? If you don't like the restaurant, go eat somewhere else – why berate the owner for owning the seafood restaurant you chose when it was really Italian food you wanted in the first place?

I wouldn't say the complaining really bothers me. I just think it's strange, illogical and unnecessary.

Aside from all that, I haven't really seen any negative changes. There will always be the odd grumbler, bumbler or vandal here and there, but of course that's true of anything, and it can't be helped. As long as the owners of this website continue their great job of managing the wholesomeness and viability of the game, and as long as participants continue to follow the guidelines, I think that having an ever-growing quantity and variety of caches to choose from can only be a good thing.

As I read this thread, there were a lot of things I wanted to say. Then I got to this post. It sums up my feelings pretty well. Nice post KBI. Thanks!

I agree. Geocaching as a whole as based on THIS 800 pound gorilla of a geocache listing service has improved almost daily from my perspective.

I find it funny that folks continue to hold others responsible for their own continued enjoyment of the game. It makes for great entertainment though.

And I really don't remember that many of the Early caches that really had a wow factor. In my first year of caching I can think of maybe 3 or 4 caches that had a wow factor, all the rest were oh yeah under the bush or under the rocks or the pile of sticks along side a trail.

I don't think any "old timer" will claim that all the caches 4-5 years ago had the "wow factor". It's just that the "Yuk factor" wasn't as prevalent.

This post prompted me to take a look at my earliest cache hunts:
  1. Short hike to a ammo can covered with sticks. I liked the find. The cache is still active and I have been back to it on a few occasions.
  2. Searched the hot, buggy area for about thirty minutes before I gave up. The cache was missing. It was soon archived.
  3. Found the remains of the cache not far from the trail in a busy park. The cache had been muggled for the second time. It was soon archived.
  4. Found the cache. Strangely, I logged my find three days after the cache owner claimed to have removed the cache. A year later, I returned to the scene and trashed out the soggy container.

From this, I believe that there have always been bad caches and bad cachers.

I am sure a lot of people who have been caching for a few years have noticed many changes in the game. I would love to hear comments about how you feel the game of Geocaching has changed. Do you feel it has been changing for the better or for the worse?

Gosh, your join date predates mine by several months! Good to see you're still at it and having a good time--I assume. :cool:

It's good to have this discussion regularly, much like we stop to examine our progress on a difficult cache hunt. There has been some improvement since a year ago in terms of refined guidelines and better tools to handle ongoing cache inflation. Still, the phrase, "Too much of a good thing," comes to mind. I'm pretty geeky and yet the sheer volume of caches is overwhelming. The increasing amount of "noise" results in me looking to other GPS games and mostly avoiding these forums.

Two related trends that continue to bear watching are the high proportion of micro (and sub-micro) containers and caches put in places they shouldn't be. Among all the changes, these two may have the greatest negative effect on the game.

The caching community, if that term can be used meaningfully, is larger and more prominent. It includes more "professionals"--as opposed to the many addicts--those who by choice spend much of their time playing or working the game. You know an activity has changed when a few people start making money at it.

Give me a break....

You are free to take a break. What would you like to take a break from? Posting? Caching? :(

I would like a break from people putting words in our mouths. Speak your own opinion and leave it at that. Some will agree with you and some won't... :cool:

Give me a break....

You are free to take a break. What would you like to take a break from? Posting? Caching? :(

I would like a break from people putting words in our mouths. Speak your own opinion and leave it at that. Some will agree with you and some won't... :cool:

Do you see the question marks in Trinity's Crew's post? Those identify questions.

Give me a break....

Do you see the question marks in Trinity's Crew's post? Those identify questions.

I wasn't talking about them. Go back to my post that started this and look above it. It's very important to follow the actual train of thought in these threads.... :( Edited by TrailGators
Give me a break....
I would like a break from people putting words in our mouths. Speak your own opinion and leave it at that. Some will agree with you and some won't... :(
I wasn't talking about them. Go back to my post that started this and look above it. It's very important to follow the actual train of thought in these threads.... :cool:
I think Snoogans posted what many people were thinking.

Perhaps you could quote the posts to which you are responding. It will make it easier to understand your angst (not in this case, I guess, but it will often work).

BTW, Snoogans didn't respond to your post. How was he 'putting words in your mouth'?

Edited by sbell111

Give me a break....

You are free to take a break. What would you like to take a break from? Posting? Caching? :cool:

I would like a break from people putting words in our mouths. Speak your own opinion and leave it at that. Some will agree with you and some won't... :(

I listed the two possible examples with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek, but I do want to know... what do you want a break from?

Are you irritated KBIs post rang so true with me (and others) that we quoted it? If not, then I have no clue what you meant.

As for your comment, "Speak your own opinion and leave it at that," for the record, I WAS speaking my opinion when I quoted and commented on KBIs post.

Edit: clarity

Edited by Trinity's Crew

Give me a break....

You are free to take a break. What would you like to take a break from? Posting? Caching? :cool:

I listed the two possible examples with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek, but I do want to know... what do you want a break from?

Are you irritated KBIs post rang so true with me (and others) that we quoted it? If not, then I have no clue what you meant.

As for your comment, "Speak your own opinion and leave it at that," for the record, I WAS speaking my opinion when I quoted and commented on KBIs post.

Mello out. I already said I wasn't talking about you...

Give me a break....

You weren't? Then why did you directly quote Trinity's Crew when you made your "I would like a break from people putting words in our mouths" post?

I'm with sbell111. This isn't making any sense.

Give me a break....

You weren't? Then why did you directly quote Trinity's Crew when you made your "I would like a break from people putting words in our mouths" post?

I'm with sbell111. This isn't making any sense.

They asked me what I wanted a break from and I answered...

I find it funny that folks continue to hold others responsible for their own continued enjoyment of the game. It makes for great entertainment though.

Give me a break....
OK. We now apparently agree that you were replying to Snoogans.

Do you not believe that some cachers blame their disatisfaction on other cachers?

Edited by sbell111

Give me a break....

Do you not believe that some cachers blame their disatisfaction on other cachers?

I'm glad to hear that. :( I'd hate to make one small misstep and have a bunch of people coming swooping in for the kill. So let's try to keep this friendly. :cool:

Do you see a difference between being dissatisfied with a handful of cachers in each area placing poor caches and being dissatisfied with "the game?"

I love to geocache. As long as I continue to enjoy this pastime as much as I have, I’ll keep doing it. If I ever find that I’m not enjoying it anymore, I’ll stop.

As long as I keep enjoying any particular element of the game (Travel Bugs, easy micros, puzzle caches, creating new hides) I’ll continue participating in that element. If I ever find that I’m not enjoying that particular element anymore, I’ll stop.

What you will never hear me do is complain that my fellow cachers aren’t providing me with adequate amusement. When you boil caching down to its very essence, all any geocacher is ever really doing is attempting to provide a fun experience for another cacher. Sometimes those attempts succeed at entertaining me; sometimes they don’t. The point is that the attempt is provided to me completely free of charge; and by someone who is, almost by definition, nothing more than an amateur entertainer. I have the choice to either take it or leave it. If I don’t like the Travel Bug, I can leave the Travel Bug in the cache. If I don’t want to solve the convoluted puzzle cache that requires obscure knowledge, I can choose to bypass that puzzle. If I get tired of finding ammo cans in stump holes, I can go look for something different. What I will not do is gripe because someone failed to meet my arbitrarily set standard or my demand for minimum acceptable entertainment. Geocaching is what it is. If I’m not being satisfactorily entertained by the caching I chose to do, it’s my own fault.

I’ve been enjoying this game for almost five years now. The most disturbing change I see is the sharp increase in the number of cachers whose philosophy seems to be quite the opposite. Some people actually get upset or defensive when they read comments like the previous paragraph, and some even go as far as to personally attack those who dare to suggest such tolerance and acceptance. Maybe the level of discontent has actually grown, or maybe it was always there and I just didn’t see it because I never spent much time reading the forums back then. Either way – while I respect the right each person to express their opinion, I find that I have more and more trouble respecting whatever the underlying ideals are that would cause folks to look a gift cache in the mouth and to actually complain that their selfish standards aren’t being met.

The menu is deep and wide. If you don’t like fish sticks, be adventurous and order the daily Fresh Catch special – why complain to the waiter just because fish sticks are on the menu? If you don’t like the restaurant, go eat somewhere else – why berate the owner for owning the seafood restaurant you chose when it was really Italian food you wanted in the first place?

I wouldn’t say the complaining really bothers me. I just think it’s strange, illogical and unnecessary.

Aside from all that, I haven’t really seen any negative changes. There will always be the odd grumbler, bumbler or vandal here and there, but of course that’s true of anything, and it can’t be helped. As long as the owners of this website continue their great job of managing the wholesomeness and viability of the game, and as long as participants continue to follow the guidelines, I think that having an ever-growing quantity and variety of caches to choose from can only be a good thing.

*applause*

Very well said.

Give me a break....

I'm glad to hear that. :( I'd hate to make one small misstep and have a bunch of people coming swooping in for the kill. So let's try to keep this friendly. :cool:

Do you see a difference between being dissatisfied with a handful of cachers in each area placing poor caches and being dissatisfied with "the game?"

His post didn't say 'the game'. It read 'their own continued enjoyment of the game'.

Also, whether the specific caches are 'poor' or not is in the eyes of the beholder. That was pretty much covered in the posts that Snoogans quoted.

They asked me what I wanted a break from and I answered...

Now we've finally established what you really meant.

Snoogans said:

You responded:

Give me a break....

And further clarified:

I would like a break from people putting words in our mouths.

Why didn't you answer sbell's question?

Snoogans didn't respond to your post. How was he 'putting words in your mouth'?

Did Snoogans' comments make you feel defensive? If not, what made you think he was specifically talking about you?

Give me a break....

His post didn't say 'the game'. It read 'their own continued enjoyment of the game'.

Also, whether the specific caches are 'poor' or not is in the eyes of the beholder. That was pretty much covered in the posts that Snoogans quoted.

The point is the same. He has no clue as to what our enjoyment of "the game" is or is not. Also if there were people that were not enjoying "the game" why would anyone find that humorous or entertaining? The bottom line is that all of us enjoy the game. However, all of us do not enjoy some of the caches being placed by a handful of cachers. Edited by TrailGators

Give me a break....

I'm glad to hear that. :) I'd hate to make one small misstep and have a bunch of people coming swooping in for the kill. So let's try to keep this friendly. :D

The point is the same. He has no clue as to what our enjoyment of "the game" is or is not. Also if there were people that were not enjoying "the game" why would anyone find that humorous or entertaining? The bottom line is that all of us enjoy the game. However, all of us do not enjoy some of the caches being placed by a handful of cachers.

:):D;)

Case in point, I find your defensiveness quite entertaining. Thank you for already proving my point.... and being very entertaining in the process. :D

I have VERY high standards in nearly every aspect of my life including geocaching. I happen to understand that my standards are mine alone. I don't measure other's efforts to contribute to this great game/sport/hobby/obsession by my own standards, or most caches I visit I would find lacking for some personal aesthetic reason.

Where's the fun in that?

Sure, I'd be smug in the perception of superiority, but I'd fail to get 100% out of my very limited free time to cache. I refuse to do that. Instead, I don't cache willy nilly and let the GPS lead me around. I CHOOSE my quality geocaching time carefully and get the absolute most out of it. I take responsibility for my own choices. My way certainly doesn't translate to racking up a great deal of smileys, but I'd take 1 really memorable smiley over 100 not so memorable ones ANY day.

You CHOOSE to hunt caches. Caches don't choose YOU. If you want to keep providing me and others with entertainment while you and others of your ilk openly refuse to accept responsibility for your own choices, then by all means, carry on.... :(:(:cool: psst... that was a clue. :(:(

You CHOOSE to hunt caches. Caches don't choose YOU. If you want to keep providing me and others with entertainment while you and others of your ilk openly refuse to accept responsibility for your own choices, then by all means, carry on....
You simply can't resist telling others how you think they cache. You have no idea how I cache. Just so you know, I don't hunt urban caches anymore unless they are recommended in some manner. I didn't used to have to cache that way, but now I do. So the game has changed for me in that regard. I am also trying to be proactive. So I have also suggested in another thread to give us the ability to ignore all the caches from certain cachers, so maybe we can go back to our free and easy ways of the past. :cool:
You CHOOSE to hunt caches. Caches don't choose YOU. If you want to keep providing me and others with entertainment while you and others of your ilk openly refuse to accept responsibility for your own choices, then by all means, carry on....
You simply can't resist telling others how you think they cache. You have no idea how I cache. Just so you know, I don't hunt urban caches anymore unless they are recommended in some manner. I didn't used to have to cache that way, but now I do. So the game has changed for me in that regard. I am also trying to be proactive. So I have also suggested in another thread to give us the ability to ignore all the caches from certain cachers, so maybe we can go back to our free and easy ways of the past. :cool:

Ummm, nowhere in the bit of verbiage that you quoted does Snoogans make any judgements about you (with the exception of the fact that you refuse to accept responsibility for your own fun but that's obvious to all, I would imagine).

I still don't get how you get all bendy about his original statement. If it is your position that he didn't sum up your behavior, you should not have gotten upset by his statement. After all, he didn't quote you or use you as an example.

Edited by sbell111
You simply can't resist telling others how you think they cache.

Did I do that? :cool: I believe I was talking about how I cache and no one else. My bad for your skewed perception. Now you're off the hook. :(

I didn't used to have to cache that way, but now I do. So the game has changed for me in that regard.

So the bad people made you change? Okay, nowwww I'm puttin' words in your mouth. I'll stop.

I am also trying to be proactive. So I have also suggested in another thread to give us the ability to ignore all the caches from certain cachers, so maybe we can go back to our free and easy ways of the past. :(

That's funny. I perceive from that, that you think, by ignoring a minority of your perceived bad cachers, all of your geocaching angst will be spirited away. Correct me if I'm wrong.... :(

Somehow, I don't find ignoring any minority proactive. :(

Edited by Snoogans

....The bottom line is that all of us enjoy the game. However, all of us do not enjoy some of the caches being placed by a handful of cachers.

Well put.

Despite the fact that so many "bad" caches are getting placed, there are also far more "good" caches. It doesn't matter what your definition of "good" and "bad" are. It used to be when there were fewer caches you would put up with the bad caches because a bad cache was better than no cache. Now, when you find a bad cache you could've been spending that time looking for a good cache. Looking for bad caches is getting in the way of finding good caches. It doesn't even matter if the ratio of bad caches to good caches has changed, either way you no longer have the luxury of finding them all and writing off the bad caches as just part of the game you have to put up with. Once you realize this, you can start looking at ways to select the caches you want to find. While there is no perfect solution to get all the good caches and none of the bad, you can get a ratio where you will find mostly good caches. Probably better than in the bad old days where you would look for anything. The point is that your enjoyment of the game should not be impacted because there are other people who like a different type of cache than you do. You can ignore many of these and still have fun. Yes, it is legitmate to look for ways to make your selection easier - bookmark lists, PQs using attributes, perhaps enhancements to the ignore list. It is also legitimate to discuss why you disklike a type of cache in the forum and to encourage people who hide caches to "improve" their hides. But remember that there will always be people who enjoy finding some of those caches that you don't like finding.

I am also trying to be proactive. So I have also suggested in another thread to give us the ability to ignore all the caches from certain cachers, so maybe we can go back to our free and easy ways of the past. :(
That's funny. I perceive from that, that you think, by ignoring a minority of your perceived bad cachers, all of your geocaching angst will be spirited away. Correct me if I'm wrong.... :cool: Somehow, I don't find ignoring any minority proactive. :(
Yes, there are a minority of cachers, but some are hiding a hundreds of caches that I'm not fond of at all. So I requested that GC add a feature to remove these people's caches from my PQs and from the maps and searches (nearest cache list) on geocaching.com. If you look at the big picture with this idea, it does offer some real benefits for everyone. If I can get recommendations from others (that enjoy the same types caches as I do) about the cachers caches that they do not enjoy, then I remove those caches from my geocaching world. I know that some people that have vastly different tastes than I do. Eventually, my map would mainly show the caches hidden by the people that I enjoy the most. This is a very similar concept to categories in Waymarking. Sorry if you don't like the idea but it's better than griping... :( Edited by TrailGators
How many times do you use the words 'I', 'me', or 'my' in a day. Does it get tiring?
Resorting to personal attacks again? :(

__ would rather continue the discussion... :cool:

Not an attack, just an observation. You used those words something like a dozen times in your post. As a result of the way that you express your point, you kind of come off somewhat selfish.

'Those people place caches that I don't like.'

Edited by sbell111

....The bottom line is that all of us enjoy the game. However, all of us do not enjoy some of the caches being placed by a handful of cachers.

Well put.

Despite the fact that so many "bad" caches are getting placed, there are also far more "good" caches. It doesn't matter what your definition of "good" and "bad" are. It used to be when there were fewer caches you would put up with the bad caches because a bad cache was better than no cache. Now, when you find a bad cache you could've been spending that time looking for a good cache. Looking for bad caches is getting in the way of finding good caches. It doesn't even matter if the ratio of bad caches to good caches has changed, either way you no longer have the luxury of finding them all and writing off the bad caches as just part of the game you have to put up with. Once you realize this, you can start looking at ways to select the caches you want to find. While there is no perfect solution to get all the good caches and none of the bad, you can get a ratio where you will find mostly good caches. Probably better than in the bad old days where you would look for anything. The point is that your enjoyment of the game should not be impacted because there are other people who like a different type of cache than you do. You can ignore many of these and still have fun. Yes, it is legitmate to look for ways to make your selection easier - bookmark lists, PQs using attributes, perhaps enhancements to the ignore list. It is also legitimate to discuss why you disklike a type of cache in the forum and to encourage people who hide caches to "improve" their hides. But remember that there will always be people who enjoy finding some of those caches that you don't like finding.

What no ice cream analogies today Mr. T? :cool::( I accept that I don't like Brussel Sprouts ice cream. I just want to remove the sellers of this ice cream from my online searches and online maps like you can in Waymarking.com. So I think we are basically saying the same thing. :(
How many times do you use the words 'I', 'me', or 'my' in a day. Does it get tiring?
Resorting to personal attacks again? :(

__ would rather continue the discussion... :cool:

Not an attack, just an observation. You used those words something like a dozen times in your post. As a result of the way that you express your point, you kind of come off somewhat selfish.

'Those people place caches that I don't like.'

Just stick to the issues and knock off the personal BS. I can only offer my own opinions and feelings. I can try to mix in some other pronouns for you besides I, me, my, he and you. So if you want, I can certainly give you some more she it? :(:( Edited by TrailGators

Game changes for worse.

• No longer does a "found it" equate to actually finding a physical cache, and signing the logbook. Now anyone can log a find, by being in the "right" location.
  • Geocachers can log virtual caches from other countries without ever leaving the comfort of their home.
  • Cachers can log 100 attended logs on an event page, because they found "temporary caches," that were never approved on GC.com.
  • Great caches that require the least amount of effort, are immediately skipped and ignored, whereas a lamppost micro in a parking lot will get 100 "found it" logs versus the "hike to" cache that will get 3 "found it" logs.
  • Lame caches are quickly defended as being a gift to the sport.
  • Travel bugs and geocoins are rarely moved from geocache to geocache, but they are discovered by "icon hunters."
  • Any honest but negative logs directed at a poor cache placement turns you into an "evil cacher" or a "cache cop."
  • In a nutshell, Geocaching is losing it's morality and integrity.

Back on track a little?

Almost every one of those items on that list existed back before the poster joined in 2004.

Game changes for worse.

• No longer does a "found it" equate to actually finding a physical cache, and signing the logbook. Now anyone can log a find, by being in the "right" location.
  • Geocachers can log virtual caches from other countries without ever leaving the comfort of their home.
  • Cachers can log 100 attended logs on an event page, because they found "temporary caches," that were never approved on GC.com.
  • Great caches that require the least amount of effort, are immediately skipped and ignored, whereas a lamppost micro in a parking lot will get 100 "found it" logs versus the "hike to" cache that will get 3 "found it" logs.
  • Lame caches are quickly defended as being a gift to the sport.
  • Travel bugs and geocoins are rarely moved from geocache to geocache, but they are discovered by "icon hunters."
  • Any honest but negative logs directed at a poor cache placement turns you into an "evil cacher" or a "cache cop."
  • In a nutshell, Geocaching is losing it's morality and integrity.

Back on track a little?

Almost every one of those items on that list existed back before the poster joined in 2004.

• No longer does a "found it" equate to actually finding a physical cache, and signing the logbook. Now anyone can log a find, by being in the "right" location. I don't remember happening back in 2003, but it could have.
  • Geocachers can log virtual caches from other countries without ever leaving the comfort of their home. I don't remember happening back in 2003, but it could have.
  • Cachers can log 100 attended logs on an event page, because they found "temporary caches," that were never approved on GC.com. I don't remember happening back in 2003.
  • Great caches that require the least amount of effort, are immediately skipped and ignored, whereas a lamppost micro in a parking lot will get 100 "found it" logs versus the "hike to" cache that will get 3 "found it" logs. I'm sure this happened because lots of people can't or won't hike.
  • Lame caches are quickly defended as being a gift to the sport. I don't remember happening back in 2003.
  • Travel bugs and geocoins are rarely moved from geocache to geocache, but they are discovered by "icon hunters." This happened. People would just find it and drop it. I did this sometimes to keep cool bugs/coins in caches to provide an incentive to find the cache. Plus bugs are like hot potatoes to me. I always feel guilty when I have one to get rid of it.
  • Any honest but negative logs directed at a poor cache placement turns you into an "evil cacher" or a "cache cop." I don't remember happening back in 2003 but it could have.
  • In a nutshell, Geocaching is losing it's morality and integrity. I can understand Kit Fox's frustration. I'm hopeful that geocaching will adapt and listen to it's non-numbers oriented customers. The awards idea should help. An "ignore cacher" idea could also help. :blink:

Edited by TrailGators