Pocket Queries Not Working

Team Emberton

I have tried everything I can to get a PQ but still nothing. I checked with my mail server, have tried several different queries, tried sending to another email address, loaded and tried "Opera", and many other things I can't even remember, but still nothing. When I run a pocket query I can see the preview but never recieve an email with my files. Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Almost forgot, I also ran a PQ for my finds and never received it either.

My email provider is A5.com, I can see the preview once I have submitted the PQ so I believe it is running. Yes the date is bolded on the PQ. And I have tried sending it to my email addy @a5.com and also tried sending it to my hotmail account as well. I did get notification of a PQ with no results and I got notification of you replying to my post so I must be still missing something.

It sounds like your query is not giving the results you're expecting - or you're not checking the attached zip file for the GPX and opening it with software like GSAK or Watcher.

If it's that your query is not giving the results you're expecting - try unchecking ALL of the criteria and just make it a radius query. Then PREVIEW the results. Then one by one, modify the query by adding criteria.

Remember also that adding more criteria limits the number of caches FURTHER. So if there are 100 caches within 10 miles of your home, and you choose only traditional caches, you may get it down to 75. If you limit the terrain and difficulty, it's limited below the original 75. If you only get the ones you've not found, that limits it more. But if you also check the ones you've found at the same time, you'll get 0 caches. No individual cache is able to meet the criteria of having been found AND not found (I wish they'd fix that in the PQ page to make it exclusionary).

If you're preview is giving you expected results, make sure to submit it and then CHECK THE DAY - the "Add the the queue" button is for the "My Finds" pocket query only.

Take a further read here.

PQ's are running after spending quite alot of time trying to figure out what was wrong. Turns out my ISP for some reason doesn't like .ZIP files either. They are deleting them even before they show up in my Quarantined file at the ISP. Opened a Yahoo email account and tried another PQ and had it in 30 seconds. Also Markwell you should get a medal for your detail instructions on running a PQ. Thank you for the information.

For YOU they are not working. Mine have been running just fine the entire time. Let's not be quick to blame the system for all the problems.

It's pretty obvious that my problem the system's fault when all 5 days are checked, and it 'last ran' 4 days ago, according to the text on the site itself to the right of the PQ. If i could actully load the PQ page right now, i'd show you a screenshot. Hard to say whether the OP has the same problem, but from other threads, clearly many do.

Why so defensive?

The problem is "sort of" the system's fault, but many of us have figured out what causes slowdowns in the delivery of the PQs. During this past week while people have been complaining about the PQs, I have gotten every one I have requested, within minutes of requesting it. ;)

It is better to not have the same PQ scheduled for every day, or if you need all that information, every day, for some reason, recreate that PQ, give it each day's name, and only run it on its day. Usually, a PQ will run promptly, if it has not run for a week or so.

If a PQ you need just ran yesterday, and you need it again, make a copy of it and run (and delete) the copy . . . it will arrive in your InBox immediately.

I haven't had any problems either, but I don't run the same PQs everyday

I have over 30 PQs on my list and run them as I need them. I ran a test on 2 PQs that I ran 3 days ago and they were in my Email box within 6 minutes, can't really see any problem with that.

If I need one of my listed PQs any faster I just run a new PQ and delete it after the 1 run seems pretty simple. ;)

Hi...I'm VERY new to pocket queries, so please bear with me. Within 100km of my home coordinates, there are 600+ caches. I realize that I can't get all of them in one go, but even when I ask for 500 within a 50 km radius, I only get about 100--and the furthest is less than 10km away!

This situation leads to two immediate questions:

1. WHY am I not getting all the caches within the designated radius?

2. How do I get the remainder, i.e. those between 8.75 km and 50km?

Awaiting your responses with fingers ready!

Welcome to the Forums. B)

I'm not sure what is happening with your PQs -- someone else smarter than I am can probably explain it -- but what you can do, since you can have as many as 40 PQs in your list, is create two, or more, overlapping circles that will get all of the caches in your area. You don't need to use your home coordinates as the center of the PQs.

Either use coordinates from your mapping software, or pick a cache to the north or east of you to use as a "center point." Set it for 500 caches within 50 km. Pick another location, or cache, in the opposite direction and set it for 500 caches within 50km. If you use a program like GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), it will handle the data for you. B)

I do not get the "Unknown" caches in my regular PQs because I don't want to mix those up with my Default database. Those are selected in their own PQ and they have their own GSAK database.

Welcome to the Forums. B)

I'm not sure what is happening with your PQs -- someone else smarter than I am can probably explain it -- but what you can do, since you can have as many as 40 PQs in your list, is create two, or more, overlapping circles that will get all of the caches in your area. You don't need to use your home coordinates as the center of the PQs.

Either use coordinates from your mapping software, or pick a cache to the north or east of you to use as a "center point." Set it for 500 caches within 50 km. Pick another location, or cache, in the opposite direction and set it for 500 caches within 50km. If you use a program like GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), it will handle the data for you. B)

I do not get the "Unknown" caches in my regular PQs because I don't want to mix those up with my Default database. Those are selected in their own PQ and they have their own GSAK database.

Thanks for that. Could you please explain how I can have 40 PQs in a list? I understand that I can generate only 5 per day--what to I do, create them and then send 'em off five at a time?

I already figured out that I can create a PQ with another center--what I thought I might try was to do the 'nearest' list from the Geocaching 'My Account' page, then pick the ones I wanted, and somehow run a PQ on them. I hit on the idea of bookmarking each one, but it's VERY time consuming to switch between the list, open a cache page, bookmark it, then go back to the list. Not very user friendly.

BTW, I am using GSAK, so no problems there, yet.

Thanks again

You can create as many as 40 PQs and just leave them in the list, only choosing to run them when needed.

This is a very cache-rich area, so I have probably ten PQs to cover the area I might travel to. However, I only run a PQ for outlying areas if I am going there. I also have some PQs in my list from a roadtrip I took last year. I haven't run those for months, but if I got a chance to head to Prescott, AZ tomorrow, the PQ is already in my list. B)

I have GSAK databases for caches within 35 miles of my home, caches 35 miles further from my home to the north and northwest, and a database for caches out in the desert -- those that are 35 miles to the east and northeast.

Unless you really, really have to have every single log for every single cache in your area, you don't need to run a PQ every day. And, if you schedule them, you will find out very quickly that if a PQ ran yesterday, it goes to the bottom of the queue for today . . .

Hi...I'm VERY new to pocket queries, so please bear with me. Within 100km of my home coordinates, there are 600+ caches. I realize that I can't get all of them in one go, but even when I ask for 500 within a 50 km radius, I only get about 100--and the furthest is less than 10km away!

This situation leads to two immediate questions:

1. WHY am I not getting all the caches within the designated radius?

2. How do I get the remainder, i.e. those between 8.75 km and 50km?

Awaiting your responses with fingers ready!

You can choose to get caches by the date they were placed within a certain radius. Choose the 50km radius and all caches placed 1/1/2000 to 12/31/2000. Preview the PQ and see how many caches are listed. If the number is below 500 make the ending date later like 6/1/2001. Keep adjusting the ending date until the preview shows as close to 500 as you can get without going over. If the end date is for example 6/1/2001 then create another PQ with a starting date of 6/2/2001 and an ending date of 6/2/2002. Keep adjusting the dates so each PQ has just about 500 listings. Make as many as you need to cover all dates up to the present. It took me 16 pocket queries to get from 1/1/2000 to the present. I run 4 of them at a time over 4 days of the week. This way I have one available each day if I need it. As new caches are hidden you will need to adjust the last PQ or add a new one so you stay up to date. There are better explanations in the GSAK forum.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?