New cache tips please.

streak

Hi,

My first post here.

I have been playing with GPSr's ever since the Garmin GPS II was launched (also had the III, III+ and now the V which will sonn be replaced by maybe the 76Cx).

I have visited this site with interest a number of times but have never gone looking for any caches.

To put something back into the sport I am able to hide a cache in a municipal park near my house (Johannesburg N Suburbs) that's easy to monitor but I want to know if this is the kind of spot that the folks here would be keen to find. Also, with the human traffic through the park if this kind of cache would last.

Cheers

Streak

Howzit Streak, fantastic to have you interested in taking up this crazy sport. Hopefully to get to have lots of fun and maybe get addicted like us.

Awesome piece of machinery you intend purchasing.

May I suggest that you go out and find a few caches before even thinking about placing. I work on a approximate rule of 20 finds and one placement, but there is no substiture for finding caches and getting to know the game by seeing how others play the game.

Good Luck and have fun.

:laughing::D

As much as the good folks in Jozi deserve another cache to find, I agree with Noddy that you ought to find a few before placing a cache. This way you can learn what makes a worthwhile find and what doesn't. (A film container in a big park does not make a good hide. a clever container with a story on the cache page does)

Also, the approver might not give you the go ahead when submitting the cache if you don't have any finds yourself. So go put those GPS's to work and find a few quick caches near your house. Chances are there are a bunch within a few kilometers of your doorstep. Enjoy.

Streak it is not so much a requirements as a suggestion. All of us have fallen to to the same trap that you are in “wanting to contribute to the sport and get out there to start placing". But with hindsight we have all noticed that our first caches all well.... kinda... sucked... :lol:

Our first cache has been moved/ replaced 3 times since its placement and has finally found a stable site. Give the page a read and you will see its dodgy past :)

With regards to your question:

I want to know if this is the kind of spot that the folks here would be keen to find

We found this quite simple: If you would like to go to the spot then others should. If it is going to be a mission for you to go back there/ it isnt safe/ clean/ enjoyable then others wont enjoy it.

Hope this helps and that it does happen.

P.S. There are many cachers out there that are willing to go caching as a group should this help your to get out into the wild and find some caches :D

Thanks guys for encouraging me to get out there and look.

I now have my first log posted on the site having found 7 segment.

There are many more very close to home and I hope to go after these as well.

I still have 2 nice sites where I could hide my own should the need arise for more caches.