Standard filters

OK your planning a day out on GSAK

What do you initially filter or set your PQ for ?

Ours goes

No micros or smalls

Difficulty 3 and above Terrain 3 and above.

Within 70 miles of home.

Plot on autoroute.

Look for a cluster of two or three.

All puzzle caches you have not solved ? look for another cluster.

Read the listings and previous logs and make a decision.

Of course if we are off somewhere else like a visit to a friend we do things differently.

Whats your prefered filter ?

PQ:

Not owned by me

Not found by me

Is active

Not on my ignore list

(I don't wnt to know about anything that is archived, or disabled)

Bung them into GSAK, export to Memory-Map, find the densest areas

Solve any "homework" puzzles that are in the area if I can

Correct the co-ordinates in GSAK for solved puzzles

Export to Memory-Map again for PDA

Export to TomTom on PDA

Export GPX file for Cachemate on PDA

Get the spoiler pics copied to PDA

Drive there

Find them all (or try to!)

Ours goes

No micros or smalls

I find it very interesting that only three of your twenty eight placed caches and seven out of your last hundred finds qualify under these criteria.

I go to Google Earth and load the geocaching kml overlay. I look for clusters of caches that we haven't completed, and head in that direction. To be honest, I don't usually take much notice of whether they are big, small, long walks, short walks, virtuals, multis - whatever. This usually works quite well, because we have a varied day. We may do quite a long walk, then be too tired to do another, so the next one we find is a 'cache and dash'.

Ours goes

No micros or smalls

I find it very interesting that only three of your twenty eight placed caches and seven out of your last hundred finds qualify under these criteria.

17 are active 11 are archived

Bit off topic there dont you think? I cant see a single one of your filtering parameters in your reply ?

nb

41 of our last 100 were on holiday which with a home location of shropshire and 41 finds in a week in Bath area its kind of obvious that this falls under the visitng somewhere else category.

Last hidden cache a 2.5 / 2.5 and before that a 1.5 /3 so pretty close to our ideal terrain is the key one for us generally

Edited by markandlynn

What is the matter with everybody today?

I have had a couple of days away from this forum and was looking forward to lightening up my lunch hour in the usual manner - a visit here. All the threads I have looked at so far are full of people having a go at each other. Relax everybody - this is supposed to be fun! :laughing:

Regarding filters - as a newbie I have the luxury of just grabbing anything and eveything wherever I plan to go. The only selection on my most recent query is to select active caches only as I don't want to trudge around Richmond Park on Sunday looking for something that isn't there.

I have had a couple of days away from this forum and was looking forward to lightening up my lunch hour in the usual manner - a visit here. All the threads I have looked at so far are full of people having a go at each other. Relax everybody - this is supposed to be fun! :D

I agree! I've noticed that too. My excuse is that I've got PMT, what's everyone else's? :laughing:

I have had a couple of days away from this forum and was looking forward to lightening up my lunch hour in the usual manner - a visit here. All the threads I have looked at so far are full of people having a go at each other. Relax everybody - this is supposed to be fun! :D

I agree! I've noticed that too. My excuse is that I've got PMT, what's everyone else's? :laughing:

Yeah but my PMT is worse than yours so just leave me alone!

:D

Ours goes

No micros or smalls

Bit off topic there dont you think? I cant see a single one of your filtering parameters in your reply ?

Yes, it is rather, but so is yours and the filter you've described is clearly not the once you actually use.

For he record, my filtering is "not found, available".

I have had a couple of days away from this forum and was looking forward to lightening up my lunch hour in the usual manner - a visit here. All the threads I have looked at so far are full of people having a go at each other. Relax everybody - this is supposed to be fun! :laughing:

I agree! I've noticed that too. My excuse is that I've got PMT, what's everyone else's? :D

Geocaching is fun

These forums do this from time to time there are some really angst ridden threads in the past this is just a minor blip the written word occasionally does a pretty poor job of conveying what you really want it to mean.

Ours goes

No micros or smalls

Yes, it is rather, but so is yours and the filter you've described is clearly not the once you actually use.

For he record, my filtering is "not found, available".

It is the one i start with i then back off from those parameters if nowt interesting shows up or we have less time out.

This really varies.

The first filter is always to get rid of found, archived and temporarily unavailable.

If I am after numbers then I am afraid I loose all the multi caches and puzzles. Then export to memory map zoom out and look for clusters in a small area. Zoom in and see how accessible they are. Terrain and difficulty is not an issue.

With regard to terrain and difficulty I tend to find many caches over rated (this may be a good thing from a safety point of view).

Now for a none numbers day.

Here I am looking for a good walk, so puzzles and multi may well be included. Often find that a few of the caches in the target area can be picked up along the route. On these days caching is often a way of making the day more interesting and breaking the walk down into less threatening chunks.

Other days it can be that I have solved a puzzle and I am looking for other caches in the area to make the journey worth while.

Then it’s back to GSAK to put them in the order I want to do them.

This really varies.

The first filter is always to get rid of found, archived and temporarily unavailable.

If I am after numbers then I am afraid I loose all the multi caches and puzzles. Then export to memory map zoom out and look for clusters in a small area. Zoom in and see how accessible they are. Terrain and difficulty is not an issue.

With regard to terrain and difficulty I tend to find many caches over rated (this may be a good thing from a safety point of view).

Now for a none numbers day.

Here I am looking for a good walk, so puzzles and multi may well be included. Often find that a few of the caches in the target area can be picked up along the route. On these days caching is often a way of making the day more interesting and breaking the walk down into less threatening chunks.

Other days it can be that I have solved a puzzle and I am looking for other caches in the area to make the journey worth while.

In hindsight thats more like what i should of written.

Sometimes we only have half a day available etc cause of kids clubs etc so we do things like that. Given a preference its the good walk but with kids there have to be swaps at the end.

My procedure is to browse an OS map for a while and ponder a route, then go onto GC.com and use the google map thingy to browse around roughly where I'm going. I'll be on the lookout for trigpoints, and other things of interest, too. I may search the web for info on local monuments, sights etc. Gradually a route will emerge.

My only filtering is that I'll generally ignore puzzle caches (because they aren't where they say they are on the map). That said I'll probably have a peek at any and all caches that end up near the route, and I will revise the route if there's something interesting a little way off. If I see a mega-multi I may turn my nose up at it as it's too much hassle - on the other hand I may decide to organise the whole walk around it.

Then I'll print the cache pages off, and put them in a pile and download all the wrong waypoints to the GPS. Then I'll pick up some old cache pages, and leave behind the ones I've just printed, grab the wrong OS explorer maps and some flat rechargeable batteries and we're off.

Mine is more or less the same as Stuey's, then I go off to my OS paper map or A-Z street map to work out locations and route. I like all caches, regardless of shape, size and location :D

The only time I get annoyed is when the filters miss out one or two caches - you know they are there but arent showing on downloaded GSAK on your PDA :laughing: You usually discover this when you are out in the wild too...

There are normally no GSAK filters involved in our planning

PQ to GSAK export all to Memory Map and .GPX for GPX Sonar..... Go to MM and look for 3-4 of Lord Elfs wonderfull white icons check they are all still 'live'and within my walking range for today ...download section of map to Ipaq update GPX Sonar.

Dave

How do you do that then? I've not seen a way to order them the way you want them. That would be really handy.

GSAK has a UserSort field - just put a number in there, then sort on the column. Double clicking the field will automatically insert a value, starting and incrementing as defined in Tools|Options|User Sort.