Cache Across America Geocoin

Blue Power Ranger

For those of you who don't know, Cache Across America is a series of caches that we have organized in which each of the 50 states contains a "Cache Across America" Cache. Seekers collect a three digit number from each cache which will lead them to a series final that is soon to be placed in Washington DC.

Okay, that might be confusing. There is all the info you could ever want at the thread here... if you have time for a nice long read.

Or you can just see the caches that are currently active in the series here.

We have been discussing a coin to memorialize the series with Rockin Roddy for some time and think we have finally come up with an idea we like. These are not available for pre-order yet but I wanted to gauge general interest.

Width: 2 inches (maybe 2.5 or 3 - still working on quotes)

Thickness: 3mmMetal: Probably Silver or Gold / Waiting to see how they each look

Other features:

Trackable on geocaching.com

Custom icon - Still working on this

Please let us know how many you think you would order.

We are working on keeping this coin below $10.

d7d5f7ca-4816-48aa-ae92-5559498da87d.jpg

Red-backed coins would be available for general order...

286710ce-6eb3-4303-bec3-8f0ccc057342.jpg

White-backed coins would be a limited edition only available to the 51 hiders in the series as a special thanks to them for helping out

(I know, there were many more volunteers to be hiders than there were actual slots available, so sorry about that.)

186dace3-d655-4b54-994c-35245623a8f1.jpg

Blue-backed coins would be a very limited edition available only to those who complete finding the entire 51 caches in the series.

(Believe it or not, there are those who are getting reasonably close)

758db77d-f50e-4e00-bb79-51458f0ff107.jpg

Black-backed coins would also be very limited and would just be for us (Blue Power Ranger) for in-face trades at events etc.

31fb10fe-4808-4fdf-a62b-9e98f023e0cb.jpg

Well...? :laughing:

What is your plan if one of the current hiders decides they no longer want to maintain a cache and a new hider takes there place? Are you leaving the original hiders name on the coin as a historical reference?

BTW, I don't care one way or another I am just trying to raise the question before the coins are minted and someone who does care asks.

What is your plan if one of the current hiders decides they no longer want to maintain a cache and a new hider takes there place? Are you leaving the original hiders name on the coin as a historical reference?

BTW, I don't care one way or another I am just trying to raise the question before the coins are minted and someone who does care asks.

The coin will just be a "snapshot in time" of what was current when the entire series became available. With the shear number of caches out there and the potential for hiders changing multiple times over a period of years, that is most reasonable possible solution.

My two cents (hey, you asked):

Only do two versions:

1) For those that own a cache in the series

2) For those who complete the challenge

It's going to cost more per coin that way, but those that are a part of it get a great keepsake and I would think would be willing to pay more for them. Not every coin (or a version thereof) needs to be available to everybody.

I personally like to keep things like this special and limited.

I think you know where I am on this BPR....I LOVE IT!!!

I don't think credit goes to me...I threw out a few ideas, Blue threw out some and the result was drawn up by them...GREAT JOB! I like Jimbobwe's idea with the info for the cache owner/cache on the side...I'd also pay extra for that!

I do agree to a point with Kealia...maybe make the amount available to the gen pub a small amount? It just wouldn't be right to not give everyone at least a little chance at having one of these coins!

Even as an owner, I'd buy a few of these...I want to have a few for special occassions! I would also LOVE to get with you for one of those blacks...

I'd love a public one. Actually, I'd love one of the finders ones too, but I passed up on the after high school road trip and don't think I'll get to visiting all 51 for a while. So, with my lack of visitations, I'll just go for a public coin. They look great! This whole series of caches was a wonderful idea.

-Hybridgeek

I've decided that I would like a block on the coin that I can engrave the date I finish the challenge on the coin. Would it be possible to add one under the CAA logo? (Under the Am)

We have looked at that, and it would add the cost of a new die - so we are talking to the minters about that possibility and how it would effect the costs.

Unfortunately there is no progress on the coint to report at this point.

We'll see if we can get going again on this very soon.

Well.............wouldn't you know, once we said there hadn't been any progress on it, we were contacted by one of the coin companies, and there is now being progress made again. WHOO HOO!! We hope to have some news very soon.

Here is our dilemma - and maybe if some of you weigh in on it, we can figure out what to do.

We really wanted to make this coin and make it trackable. We wanted to make a specific metal and offer one to buy for every single hider. They have all been so wonderful to work with and have placed caches for this series in some great places!

In our dream world - we wanted one metal for hiders, one for anyone that had found the whole series (that we would just give them), and one for people to be able to buy.

When we talked to one of the coin places, they were concerned that there wasn't enought interest and wanted to offer the coin for people that found it to anyone who has found a cache in every state regardless if it was part of this series. We really didn't want to do that because we kind of felt like that took away from people that have driven so far out of their way for these specific caches.

But since we were asking the coin place to help us finance - we felt stuck. So we just kind of didn't go anywhere with it for awhile now.

We did have wesleykey offer to try and just have a nontrackable one available, but then we also thought maybe people wouldn't want as many that way. But I don't know - do you guys have a big preference? Trackable, non-trackable??

On the other hand, I keep seeing "artist edition" metal finishes - so are wondering if we just bought a couple finishes that only we were able to buy, then maybe offer those to our hiders and finders.....

This seems so rambling on....which I don't mean it to be -

So maybe some of you involved can let us know what you think. Those that have had coins made, and those that buy coins.

We did have wesleykey offer to try and just have a nontrackable one available, but then we also thought maybe people wouldn't want as many that way. But I don't know - do you guys have a big preference? Trackable, non-trackable??

I would rather see it happen than see it die. If it comes down to it, I'll finance a non trackable version and do the distribution. Just let me know via my profile. I don't check in here too often.

I am willing to help on this. I go direct like any other minter. I have a few questions:

1. Who would pay for the coins for the hiders? Do they have to buy there own?

2. How many people completed all the finds? (to date that is)

I would be willing to pront some money to hold stock for those who complete provided we can work the other details out. Let me know via mike @ atwellfamily.net.

Hope to see this thing completed. :(