One Gettysburg and one D.C. cache

EraSeek

I'm coming your way from Seattle soon and would like your advice.

Not a numbers person, I have always focused on an intrigueing cache to head towards and then find others along the way. So.. if you would..

Give me one cache that really stands out near Gettysburg, and one also in D.C. that really did the trick for you. If I only find one cache, these should be the ones.

(Besides, one may be all my wife will let me get away with :rolleyes: )

one also in D.C. that really did the trick for you. If I only find one cache, these should be the ones.
Hi EraSeek,

In the area where many (most) of the monuments are, there are many (only?) virtuals. If you 2 will be walking around among the memorials, you may be able to hit them all without going outside of the route you would take even if you are not geocaching. But: to your direct question, I was especially touched by these three:

1 - The FDR Memorial is beautifully and creatively designed, and I think the most aesthetically pleasing of all the memorials - in its physical scope, incorporation of flora, and in its accessibility. Try not approach it the way that I always seem to do it (backwards, i.e. from the Jefferson). If you enter through the entrance on the NW side, you can actually enjoy the phases in chronological order.

2 and 3 - Last stop for a weary traveler had a cool twist, in my opinion. My log there is a continuation of my mindset at So We Will Remember Them.

Also, jpatton made this bookmark list which might also be helpful: DC Caches Near Metro

I looked at that cache, Mopar, and was sad to see the "needs maintenance" icon along with all the logs saying that e-mails to the owner are bouncing. Its days are numbered, since grandfathered caches can only be adopted with the participation of the original owner. Eventually the cache will make it onto the European Google Cache bookmark lists and the logs will get polluted with "greetz from Holland" and "Danke for the cache."

On a far happier note, let me tell Northeast readers who we are helping here. EraSeek is one of the best cache hiders in Washington, a state with a lot of good cache hiders. Two of his caches are on my all time favorites list and one, Ebey Bluffs, is near the front of my Top 10 list. Miss Jenn and Mopar would agree with that. So, please let's be as helpful as possible to someone who has provided great enjoyment to visitors in the Evergreen State.

EraSeek, when will you be travelling? I am planning a big trip to Gettysburg for Memorial Day weekend. Soon I will begin scouting out the "destination caches" that I don't want to miss. I'd be happy to share a bookmark list as my planning progresses.

Also, are you constrained by family obligations so that long hikes are not possible? If so, I'll concentrate on short but high quality caches in the immediate Gettysburg area.

I'll bet you could hit at least 10 DC caches without your wife noticing :laughing: Just about all of the monuments have an associated Virtual Cache.. and I'd recommend walking around to all of them whether you're caching or not!

I particularly liked the Jefferson Memorial Virtual. It was a little trickier than your typical Virtual (just a little) and the Memorial is well worth the long(er) walk. If not for the cache, I probably would have enjoyed the memorial from the other side of the water, so I'm glad there was a cache there!

You can get a virtual and a benchmark at the same spot at the ZERO MILESTONE. On the northern point of the ellipse with a great view of the White House. Brush up on your Roman Numerals as you have to email the regular number for virtual credit.

Stop in at the Forest Service Information Center to see Smokey Bear. Copy down the required information inside the front door for another virtual.

Thanks for the wonderful compliments! Yes Ebey Bluffs is an awesome spot.

On the Last Stop for a Weary Traveler, just by the first line "No matter where our troops went, he was there first." I know exactly what the subject is and even the answer. It will be fun to visit even if it gets archived. In fact I think my wife will really get into these virtuals. She's very attached to history and patriotism. I did a quick read on Summer house and I know that Fredrick Olstead designed some parks around here as well as I recall.

Memorial Day is my daughters birthday as well as our wedding aniversary (a number of years before) and we will be back here by then. We will be heading out there May 15 and back here on the 23rd. My son is graduating from Gettysburg College on the 20th.

I'll take a closer look at all your suggestions and visit them if possible. I'll keep a watch on this thread for further input. And thanks for your help. :laughing:

I looked at that cache, Mopar, and was sad to see the "needs maintenance" icon along with all the logs saying that e-mails to the owner are bouncing. Its days are numbered, since grandfathered caches can only be adopted with the participation of the original owner. Eventually the cache will make it onto the European Google Cache bookmark lists and the logs will get polluted with "greetz from Holland" and "Danke for the cache."

Eh, don't lose hope, Lep. There's a virt within 50 miles of my home coords that is so easy to look up on the internet, it's not even funny; and the European's haven't found that one......yet. :lol:

I believe we still haven't heard about any Gettysburg virts?

As in DC, caches in the Gettysburg National Battlefield are all virtual. Of those, my favorites are the 90th PA Infantry and Peact at Gettysburg, which are close to each other and High on Longstreet if you don't mind heights. My favorite find in that area is actually eight miles north in Biglerville in a wonderful community park, Still Not a Bomb has a colorful history. Bring your lunch and stay a bit, or sign log and run. We have been in Gettysburg three times in the last two years and will be returning again sometime this summer (my 12 y.o. son is a student of the Civil War; I'm going for the caches).

Maybe not so practical in the "if you can only hit one cache" vein, but wanted to offer at least one non-virtual D.C. cache to this discussion, and that is The Silent City (GCQYTG).

It is a bit off the beaten path for tourists, but it is only a few stops away from the Mall on the Metro, and a few blocks walk through a pleasant residential neighborhood. You'll also need the cache page in some form, either on paper or a PDA to do the calculations, as it is a 5 stage multi-cache.

This is however the one physical cache in Washington, D.C. that pretty much everyone who has found it that I've talked to agrees is excellent!

I have to add a reply-I have cached in both DC and Gettysburg. While both are wonderful places, I have to agree that "Last Stop for a Weary Traveler" (in DC) should not be missed. It is my favorite virtual of any I have done, and one that most people would probably never see if not for geocaching.

In Gettysburg. What an amazing place. Now I know why people make a life study of this battle. There is so much to it, and so many sacrifices.

I did Peace at Gettysburg, 90th PA and Unsettled Spirit today in amonst thunderstorms, rain and much wind. Made it all the more dramatic!

a8e15976-1cd0-4cae-9663-2c95c35a87c7.jpg

Edited by EraSeek

In Gettysburg. What an amazing place. Now I know why people make a life study of this battle. There is so much to it, and so many sacrifices.

I did Peace at Gettysburg, 90th PA and Unsettled Spirit today in amonst thunderstorms, rain and much wind. Made it all the more dramatic!

I'm glad to hear you didn't let the rain deter you. It really is the most amazing place to visit. We've been going down several times a year since the mid 90's and we still find new parts of the park every time we visit and are constantly awed by what took place there. :D

Last day here. We are off to DC again. We went to Gettysburg, Antetium, Happer's Ferry, and DC. We were right there when the president landed on the white house lawn. Cool! Ment a geo-lady from the netherlands. Saw some awesome things. Thanks all!

bbab6ce1-fe55-45c5-8d0e-ceb1af18ca80.jpg