New cache in park

We are thinking of placing our first cache. We have thought of several locations/containers. After scoping the area out today we are getting ready for number one.

It would be in a park with playground toys. The location would be right in the middle of the playground. It is a small village with a population of <3000. We dont think this location will be muggled.

Our concern was this, will people be irritated if they come to the park and they cant search for it? (Because of the muggles?) If you looked for it in this location- you would definitely draw attention to yourself and what you are doing.

I dont know how often kids play there- but i know they play there enough.

We think its a great location, but want to be sensitive to other cachers ideas/thoughts.

What are yours?

I have gone to plenty that are in parks, and some in large cities. I have passed a few because of the activity that was around, and just planed to go get them later when I felt it wouldn't be quite so busy. I would plant it and those that don't feel comfortable being watched, well, then it is just there loss. It's all part of the game. Have fun with your first cache. When you do place it, I would like a link to it and see how it goes. Just being curious. Take care, Have fun, Be safe--- YB4

I wouldn't put a cache in the middle of the playground . . . :rolleyes:

Aren't there some perimeter areas of that same park where you could put the cache?

We looked around a bit. No where that i would want to place one.

We planned on a small cache- not a micro.

Not really a lot of tees or anything.

Ixnay on playground caches! Whether the final or the first waypoint for a multi/mystery cache. (There is a thread running on this subject...) Let's see... I'm a middle aged man, counting the 'tiers' (oh those were supposed to be 'tires'?), or 'black rolers' on playground equipment to figure out the final location of the cache? Albeit, I did those on a Sunday morning, with no playgrounders present. I did not feel comfortable being there. If there were a bunch of kids playing there while I tried to count the 'number of platforms' (which was off by one), I might well have been reported to the police. Unless, of course, you want to rent me a kid?

Ah, I was looking for a benchmark in a playground once. It was placed in 1933 on a rock ledge. It seems that some parent (about half my age) took exception to my being there. He started spewing obscenities and threats (in front of his small children, no less. I do not use that sort of language! And never in front of small children!) Be that as it may. This sort of hide seems to be asking for trouble. Unless you ad an ALR of "This cache may only be logged by geocachers accompanied by children. Post picture of child to insur compliance."

Nope. Bad idea.

People of any age have a right to be in a park. I am very sorry that you have had trouble in the past.

We cache with/for the kids. We enjoy all the different parks that we visit.

I would not shy away from a park if i didnt have a kid. Its a public place and anyone should have the right to be there.

It is a messed up world though. Every time i lose my puppy i drive around looking for him. I usually ask kids i see to help me find my puppy and the police always show up. What did i do wrong?

I wouldn't place or look for a cache in such a spot. There are some places that might not be addressed in the

guidelines that are still bad ideas.

People of any age have a right to be in a park.

Technically true. In the real world however a middle aged stranger hanging around a children's playground will attract unwanted attention.

Edited by briansnat

I have gone to plenty that are in parks, and some in large cities. I have passed a few because of the activity that was around, and just planed to go get them later when I felt it wouldn't be quite so busy. I would plant it and those that don't feel comfortable being watched, well, then it is just there loss. It's all part of the game. Have fun with your first cache. When you do place it, I would like a link to it and see how it goes. Just being curious. Take care, Have fun, Be safe--- YB4

I agree with yankeeboy4.

If the cache meets the guidelines and you are willing to do the maintenance if it gets muggled repeatedly, go ahead and place it. Some people will never search for it. Others will pass it by and try it again on another day. That's their perogative and has nothing to do with whether the cache should be placed and listed.

I wouldn't place or look for a cache in such a spot. There are some places that might not be addressed in the guidelines that are still bad ideas.
Technically true. In the real world however a middle aged stranger hanging around a children's playground will attract unwanted attention.
Luckily, no one forces anyone to go after any cache. If the park is populated when we go to look for the cache, we middle-aged strangers are free to blow it off and try at another time. We are also free to wait it out and answer any questions posed of us.

People of any age have a right to be in a park. I am very sorry that you have had trouble in the past.

We cache with/for the kids. We enjoy all the different parks that we visit.

I would not shy away from a park if i didnt have a kid. Its a public place and anyone should have the right to be there.

It is a messed up world though. Every time i lose my puppy i drive around looking for him. I usually ask kids i see to help me find my puppy and the police always show up. What did i do wrong?

If you cache with/for the kids, then don't place a cache on the playground equipment. Kids are naturally inquisitive, and your cache will soon disappear. Parents will watch cachers with a suspicious eye. They will see the cacher find your geocache, they will investigate, and most likely call the local Law Enforcement, and give them the cachers license plate number.

Mr. Cacher is going to be pissed off when he gets tracked down by a Sheriff's Deputy, and questioned. Caches placed on playground equipment, are not against geocaching rules, but they are not a good idea.

Take it from someone that has two young children, and 10 years of working for the Sheriff's Dept. :rolleyes:

What would you think?

The hobby of geocaching is quite unusual when compared to most leisure activities. It relies on annonymity and discretion--stealth even.

It relies even more on being able to hide geocaches on other people's property for our colleagues to find. Geocaching cannot exist without discretely placing geocaches where others can find them. This usually means on property we don't own, either public or private. Let's think about how our hobby looks to others.

Pretend for a moment that you are a normal person.

You look out your window toward a greenbelt in your neighborhood and see a stranger lurking about with a strange device, obviously trying hard not to be noticed. Then you see several other strangers doing the same thing over the course of a weekend. You might even spot them looking for something hidden, or hanging around for a few minutes and then hiding something before leaving.

What would you think? You find yourself overlooking an open area near a train station, or even an airport. A stranger comes to the area, and furtively walks around with a strange device (looks like some kind of homing system or remote detonator like they use in spy movies!). He stops for a while, repeatedly pushing buttons on the device. He then gets an olive drab container with military markings out of his car and hides it! The whole time he has obviously been on the lookout for anyone watching him, and generally looked very sneaky!

What would you think? Suppose you happen to notice a lot of folks showing up, for no reason that you can think of, behind the local convenience store. They seem to crawl around on the ground for a while, feel there way around trash containers and electrical boxes until they find a small container. They surrepticiously take this container a short distance away, all the while looking around to see if they are being watched. They rifle through the contents before, just as secretively, returning the container where they found it and then making a quick getaway!

What would you think? Okay, enough trying to think normally!

Let's think like a geocacher planning a cache hide (much easier than thinking normally for many of us). The importance of considering appearances is growing by the day. We need to consider how unusual activity at our cache location looks to observers who know nothing about geocaching. In today's society, most of us recognize that there can only be a limited number of responses by various bomb squads before they start comparing notes and decide that geocaching is a waste of resources and/or a potential cover for other covert activities. If communities begin to consider geocaching in this light, it would be easy for them to decide it should simply be banned. So how do we keep from bringing geocaching to the attention of regulatory bodies who may feel the need to help us keep things from looking bad? By behaving responsibly, and encouraging our fellow geocachers to do the same. Start by always following the spirit of the geocaching.com submission guidelines. This includes getting permission BEFORE placing a geocache, where appropriate. Most of the folks I have approached and discussed geocaching with have been happy to allow geocaches to be placed on property they administer. Obviously, the cache must be placed in an appropriate area, and designed to not cause conflicts or difficulties. If you have communicated with the property manager or owner, it should reduce the likelihood of calls to the police. Be prepared to take "NO" a an answer! There are plenty of places to hide a geocache in southern California. For a bit more information on selecting a cache location, please read: "Ready to Hide Your First Geocache?" We should all encourage other geocachers to place responsible caches. If you find a geocache that you think may draw unwanted attention or is in an area that is questionable for geocaches, you should contact the cache owner and explain your feelings. They may not be receptive, but you will have done your part. A diplomatically worded email could draw their attention to something they may not have considered. We shouldn't have to form the "cache police", but we do need to encourage each other to behave responsibly. If we continue to have bomb squads respond to geocaches, we will draw even more attention of a type we don't want. I am not trying to re-ruffle feathers or salt any recent wounds, but this is a topic we have to discuss openly for our hobby to survive! A bit of background about why I am concerned about where geocaches are being hidden, and why I think we all should be: "Phone Home" at DL 'Pinched'

Edited by Kit Fox

I appreciate the thoughts and ideas.

I really dont think kids would find this spot, although anything is possible.

I dont have a problem with anyone getting the police called on them. Its the nature of the sport. We have been caching for less than 5 weeks and this has happened twice to us.

I appreciate the reminder of getting permission. We totally agree with this and often are upset at the lack of people doing this and placing caches.

Not actually. I visit/cache in The City a lot. Many of the playgrounds/parks do have signs stating "Adults permitted only in the presence of children." This is, however, where the public restrooms are located. They were public restrooms long before the 'must be accompanied by a child' rules were put into effect. The general public should rebel and force changes to these restrictions. But, sadly, they do not. It was only in one of these that I was accosted.

I dont have a problem with anyone getting the police called on them. Its the nature of the sport. We have been caching for less than 5 weeks and this has happened twice to us.

In five years of caching, I haven't had the cops called on me (bumped into campus cops once, who were suspicious because the fence we were near had been vandalized recently). I have to say your experience thus far isn't typical. If caching got the cops called on me regularly, I wouldn't be doing it, legal or no.

I don't think playground caches are a good idea, but I won't tell you not to do it. I typically check them out once or twice and give up on them if the situation is never condusive to a discrete search. I have no problem ignoring a cache that doesn't appeal to me.

It's not the nature of the sport. It's the nature of carelessly placed caches. Re-read Kit Fox's post. He gets it.

Regularly having the police called to respond to geocachers is not good for our sport in the long run.

I wouldn't place or look for a cache in such a spot. There are some places that might not be addressed in the

guidelines that are still bad ideas.

I guess we are lucky enough to live down here where a middle age man is still innocent until proven guilty. ;) Ok, i know what you're saying, but the truth of the matter is that everyone has a right to go into a public park, children or no children. Also, i'd betcha that the cache won't be hidden so well that it would cause a cacher to look like he/she was "hanging" around.

It may not be the best area for a cache as far as having to worry about muggles are concerned but it still may be an interesting place for placement of a cache. You certainly can't please everybody so there is no doubt that some won't care for it. For the op, you've found a few caches and you know what you like. Go ahead and place it if it feels good to you! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind looking for this cache. It might be a bit of fun. If someone gets paranoid, then shucks to them.

I don't reccommend it as a first cache. Make your first cache safe and muggle-free. Don't tempt the fates the first time around, or you'll get bitterly disappointed when it goes missing...

...and then you might go missing, too. We'd miss you.

It's not the nature of the sport. It's the nature of carelessly placed caches. Re-read Kit Fox's post. He gets it.

Regularly having the police called to respond to geocachers is not good for our sport in the long run.

I agree for the most part about carelessly placed caches.

I do not think it is good for the sport.

This is why i get frustrated with the sport. While i think that some cachers get permission to place caches, i think far too many assume "adequate permission". I wish that each cache had a checklist to show whether or not permission was actually granted or whether it is assumed.

Just because permission is granted though, doesnt stop others from calling the police. Even if the police know about it, to my understanding, they still have to respond. (That is a good thing though. :rolleyes: )

I cache with kids and would be happy to find your cache. I, however, won't be able to find a scuba cache if you hide one ... or one that requires climbing gear ... or one in a sewer ... or one more than 300 miles away ... or a difficult puzzle ... or ...

so, I guess those with out kids are just outta luck.

Chris

Edited by Muddy Chris

I think you would be shocked at where kids will look and what things they will find. Playground equipment makes for bad cache placement because of the extreme high muggle factor. Taking apart the equipment in any way to hide a cache is not a good idea either.

Second, Whether we like it or not - it remains a simple fact that a slightly overweight 40ish male with a ziploc full of kids stuff (swag) and electronics is going to attract a very bad kind of attention in today's world while hanging around kids in a park. I never even try such caches unless my own kids are with me or the park is totally empty.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but please try and find a better place for a cache. One that can be enjoyed more openly and one that stands a better chance of lasting.

Its great to get such different feedback.

One of the neatest finds/containers that we have found was in a park on/in the playground equipment. While no one was there when we found it it was a great hide. Very enjoyable. It was such a good hide that even some of the people who looked for it didnt find it. :rolleyes: We almost missed it!

I would never consider taking apart any equipment to place a cache.

It's clear that caches in caches in parks with kids arent for everyone. I can understand not wanting to go if kids are there, but i dont understand not wanting to go if the park is empty. My main concern was placing the cache and having others show up when they might not be able to try to find due to muggles. That would be a bummer.

Only way to really know is place it and see, but my bet is you underestimate kids' innate ability to explore and get into things.

If it is in the middle of the playground, I'd bet it lasts less than a month in prime "kid season."

I have hidden caches where i though no one goes only to have them muggled in short order. I'm sure that is a common experience.

But I have also been surprised with the longevity of some that seemed too obvious to last.

One thing I can pretty much guarantee is that as soon as the first kid finds it, it is doomed. And that often includes local cacher kids. Kids just HAVE to show off. It's a law. :rolleyes:

Edited by Confucius' Cat

I would suggest that if you do choose to put a cache in/near a playground, that you mention this in the log so people know in advance.

For what it is worth, I would look for a cache near a playground if I was with one of my kids, but I would not do it alone.

Yes, we all have a right to be there and its shame the world is in its current state, but a single man hanging out in playgrounds attracts all kinds of attention. Encouraging people to hang out around playgrounds makes its easier for the pervs to blend in. Playgrounds are for kids! Kids have so few places were they can play nowadays, us geocachers should just leave their space alone!

I really think there should be some type of sortable cache type (beyond size classification), so that we can more easily screen caches (rather than going to Google Earth).

My 15 yr old son was down by the river working on a biology project when he found some classmates climbing around some boulders (these boulders are railroad car sized... BIG boulders). There just happens to be a very well-hidden cache near those boulders. One of the other kids mentioned that he had heard there is a "treasure" buried nearby. Yes, there is a cache. Nick checks on it occasionally when no one is near. He didn't show them where it is, although as he stepped over the spot (it is hidden in a cleft between two rocks), he heard a muffled thunk. It is well-hidden by fallen leaves, and actually took us several trips to find.

My point is, yes, word does quickly get out about "hidden treasures" and if a local kid were to find it, most likely it would disappear. One of mine disappeared recently in probably the same way. It may not have been hidden as well as we would have liked, and some kids exploring the small "cave" under the boulders found it. (There was also a beer can in the cave.) We are going to replace it with a smaller (and cheaper) container and see if it lasts. If not, well, the cache was fun while it lasted! These are not placed in a commercial playground, but in nature's playground.... lots of boulders! I don't know about anyone else, but my kids like to explore those huge boulders.

... Encouraging people to hang out around playgrounds makes its easier for the pervs to blend in. ...
I disagree with this comment. In my opinion, the more people are honestly using any area, the less likely someone will be able to use that area for bad purposes. This is true whether it is your corner playground, an out of the way 'pickle park', or backwoods area eyed by meth-heads or pot growers.

Regardless, I'll stand by my sister's position on caches in playgrounds. If her kids (well, grandkids) are playing on the playground, it doesn't matter if there are other people milling about because she's watching the kids.

I think it's curious that there are always more 'thumbs-down' responses in playground threads that are made by single men, rather than parents of small children.

Your concern seems to be for cachers who cannot hunt the cache due to the presence of children. I think you have it backwards. Cachers should be prepared for disappointments. But the children and their parents or guardians shouldn't be made to feel uncomfortable at the playground that they paid for.

The idea that the fun of finding the cache trumps the discomfort of those who witness the hunt seems wrong to me, and is at the bottom of why I strongly dislike playground hides. Even if a cacher gets in, gets out, gets cache, their behavior may well upset, or discomfit others present.

Regardless, I'll stand by my sister's position on caches in playgrounds. If her kids (well, grandkids) are playing on the playground, it doesn't matter if there are other people milling about because she's watching the kids.

I think it's curious that there are always more 'thumbs-down' responses in playground threads that are made by single men, rather than parents of small children.

Parent of small children here.

Your sister's stance is a good one, but that doesn't help the cacher who's accosted by a more paranoid parent.

I'm less concerned with disturbing parents than disturbing kids. The last time I called off a playground hunt, I didn't notice any parents, just a lot of kids. And frankly I was glad to see that some kids are still allowed to play without constant supervision. I didn't want to upset that by being the weird guy sticking his head under the merry-go-round.

I have one playground cache and one waiting to be published. They are both puzzle caches with questions most kids should be able to answer. Some adults, especially those without kids, may have problems answering the questions without research. My kids cache with me a lot and I wanted something fun for the families to do together on these.

However, I placed both caches in areas near enough to the playground for the kids to get excited about the chance to play after finding the cache, but far enough away where an adult should be able to find the cache and not be too uncomfortable. Both parks have a lot of times when no children at all are present and should make for an easy find. In fact both parks are used by adults without children for various activities too.

When you place your cache, just think like the other cachers and muggles will think and place it in a place YOU wouldn't feel uncomfortable looking or if you were a muggle where you wouldn't look strangly at a person.

I appreciate the thoughts and ideas.

I appreciate the reminder of getting permission. We totally agree with this and often are upset at the lack of people doing this and placing caches.

:rolleyes:

How do you cache?

I've never even been approached by muggles, much less the police. I also cache with kids, and I've never done anything that would draw that kind of suspicion.

Back on topic......

As far as the unwanted attention directed toward the cachers, you know your area better than an outsider, but do think before you place. I'm not going to argue about the ethics of hunting or hiding a cache in a park and the perceptions of others. That's been done adequately here and elsewhere in the forum.

I would not place that kind of cache for one main reason. The fact that the cache WILL be muggled. In any area where kids play regularly, they will investigate everything and anything at all and they will find everything. Young children are curious by nature. When they find something new or different in their play area they will investigate it. It doesn't matter that the caches is very small or very well hidden, because if an adult can find it, then a kid will find it. I've seen it happen before.

If you want to place the cache somewhere else in the park go ahead, but I wouldn't put it on the equipment.

would not place that kind of cache for one main reason. The fact that the cache WILL be muggled.

I have to agree with this one. I haven't been caching for that long but I have a one year old and know that kids find EVERYTHING that you dont want them to find. Also, about the suspicion this could draw, I think as a general rule, cachers think more attention is drawn to what we are doing than what actually is. I did a cache in a park this past weekend (behind the actual playground and in the woods) that was flooded with muggles and nobody even noticed my wife, my sister in law and I trudging through the woods. That being said, I think something in the middle of a playground WOULD draw suspicion. Also, the fact that it will be muggled.

I'm sorry...but this statement makes you sound like you care less about other cachers...only about yourself. Why would you not care if others get the police called on them while searching for your cache? As a cache owner, you should always be mindful of other cachers' safety and well-being in the search for your cache.

I agree with another poster when they said that police intervention is NOT a nature of the sport. I have been caching for over a year now and have never had any interactions with law enforcement.

I notice your forum title is "Don't Ruin It For Everyone Else." How are you living up to this by placing a cache in a playground, knowing the possible ramifications?

There have been plenty of places I would have liked to have placed a cache but didn't; I don't want to be known as the guy who gets others in trouble just for the sake of this sport.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian
... Encouraging people to hang out around playgrounds makes its easier for the pervs to blend in. ...
I disagree with this comment. In my opinion, the more people are honestly using any area, the less likely someone will be able to use that area for bad purposes. This is true whether it is your corner playground, an out of the way 'pickle park', or backwoods area eyed by meth-heads or pot growers.

I'm a both a parent with two young children (7 & 8) and a geocacher. My position is that playgrounds are for kids and it is beyond me why some adult geocachers want to impinge upon their small area for THEIR sport. I like geocaches in parks and hiding one a few hundred feet from a playground is OK, but please lets try to put the kids first and leave them their space. It is just so uneccessary and in my opinion selfish.

Plus I seriously doubt anyone from a parks department would approve placing a cache in a childrens playground, so we can add irresponsible to selfish.

How do you cache?

I've never even been approached by muggles, much less the police. I also cache with kids, and I've never done anything that would draw that kind of suspicion.

I dont know how we cache.

The first time we were approached is when someone from a business saw us and reported us as suspicious looking men with children. (Myself and another friend of mine.)

The second was when my son and i were using our flashlight to find a cache in the dark after a day of caching.

So far two people have said that they have not been approached by police and basically its just us. Well, sorry, but both of you have less than 300 finds. If you had 3,000 then i would wonder.

I'm a both a parent with two young children (7 & 8) and a geocacher. My position is that playgrounds are for kids and it is beyond me why some adult geocachers want to impinge upon their small area for THEIR sport. I like geocaches in parks and hiding one a few hundred feet from a playground is OK, but please lets try to put the kids first and leave them their space. It is just so uneccessary and in my opinion selfish.

Plus I seriously doubt anyone from a parks department would approve placing a cache in a childrens playground, so we can add irresponsible to selfish.

I'm a father of a 2 and 5 yr old, and I fully agree with Geomann. The concept of placing caches on the playground equipement sounds like fun "if your a kid," but isn't much fun for adults.

Anyone remember the dingbat girl that was hiding razor blades in the sandboxes of the local parks. They had officers do stake outs of all the area parks, until they caught her in the act. Imagine if you were a homeowner, or a park patron, and you see an adult, visiting the equipment at "odd hours," trying to act discreet, while snooping in and around the different pieces.

People have vivid imaginations, when they see this type of activity. I guarantee that someone woud dial 911. I own two "park caches" and neither one of them, is that close to the playground equipment. They have both been succesful caches, because I place my caches to last.

Dirftwood is 1.5 years old and has never been muggled

Park It! is 2.5 yrs old and has never been muggled

Edited by Kit Fox

I'm sorry...but this statement makes you sound like you care less about other cachers...only about yourself. Why would you not care if others get the police called on them while searching for your cache? As a cache owner, you should always be mindful of other cachers' safety and well-being in the search for your cache.

I agree with another poster when they said that police intervention is NOT a nature of the sport. I have been caching for over a year now and have never had any interactions with law enforcement.

I notice your forum title is "Don't Ruin It For Everyone Else." How are you living up to this by placing a cache in a playground, knowing the possible ramifications?

Why should anyone care if the police are called? If you havent done anything wrong then what is there to worry about? Just because the police show up doesnt affect someones safety. In fact, if they are called, in most cases you should be happy that people/police are doing their job. Police are not the enemy.

I have read the forums and we are not the only people to have been questioned by police.

"Don't Ruin It For Everyone Else." is for those that dont play by the rules. In no way have i suggested not playing by the rules.

How do you cache?

I dont know how we cache.

The first time we were approached is when someone from a business saw us and reported us as suspicious looking men with children. (Myself and another friend of mine.)

The second was when my son and i were using our flashlight to find a cache in the dark after a day of caching.

So far two people have said that they have not been approached by police and basically its just us. Well, sorry, but both of you have less than 300 finds. If you had 3,000 then i would wonder.

Then I'll ask those who do have thousands of finds. Anyone with a thousand finds or more run into trouble with the law while caching?

And if it's that bad, why would you even consider placing a cache that would bring trouble like that on other cachers?

What are you talking about? How would the cache bring trouble? Im not suggesting anyone do it when the park is full! ;)

Maybe not, but you said you don't care if it does happen.

I dont have a problem with anyone getting the police called on them. Its the nature of the sport.

That just seems funny to me. But then I don't have that much experinence so who knows. :laughing:

Edited by Totem Clan
Why should anyone care if the police are called? If you havent done anything wrong then what is there to worry about? Just because the police show up doesnt affect someones safety. In fact, if they are called, in most cases you should be happy that people/police are doing their job. Police are not the enemy.

I would care because it takes time out of my day to deal with it. Depending on the cop and his level of suspicion, you can be detained for a few minutes or a few hours. It's something I'd rather not deal with.

I have read the forums and we are not the only people to have been questioned by police.

In 6+ years and over 700 cache hunts I've never been questioned by the police. Once I was warned not to walk on the highway when a passing state trooper saw me in a field about 50 yards from the shoulder, but I don't count that.

I've never been approached by the police while Geocaching in almost 5 years and just over 1,300 finds. I've been questioned 2 or 3 times by non-cachers, and once by a mall security guard, but not the police.

Just out of curiosity is there something that is inherently special or unique about this playground?

I usually skip on playground hides unless there is no one around, and even then I may still skip it in preference of a more interesting cache. At least around here, there are playgrounds all over the place, and in my opinion, just because there's an open space there doesn't mean it has to have a cache.

As you can see I've only hidden a few caches. This isn't because I'm selfish, or don't like hiding caches, but I like to have a reason for hiding a cache beyond the fact that I simply could hide one there.

That's just my opinion, and I'm only one person, so feel free to ignore me. :laughing:

Maybe it isnt the nature of the sport.

From what i have observed on these forums is that most likely you will eventually come into contact with police. (For whatever reason. If you dont beleive me then do a search.)

So while it may not be the nature of the sport, it is a possibility.

What are you talking about? How would the cache bring trouble? Im not suggesting anyone do it when the park is full! ;)

Maybe not, but you said you don't care if it does happen.

I dont have a problem with anyone getting the police called on them. Its the nature of the sport.

That just seems funny to me. But then I don't have that much experinence so who knows. :laughing:

Since when is getting the police called the "nature of the sport"? I do not remember reading that anywhere in the rules, guidelines and so forth. Can you point me to that reference please.

As far as putting a cache in a playground you will really have to think about your situation and act accordingly. I have an adopted cache that is in a playground in a town of less then 500 people. In that situation it is not a big deal.

Ultimately the question should be "Is there a purpose for this cache to be here, other than to rack up some numbers?"

Maybe it isnt the nature of the sport.

From what i have observed on these forums is that most likely you will eventually come into contact with police. (For whatever reason. If you dont beleive me then do a search.)

So while it may not be the nature of the sport, it is a possibility.

I once cut through an alley that ran behind a museum and across from the police station. I was stopped by some bored officer and warned to never use the alley again. I was on my way to the museum by the way, but it seems they were having problem with vandalism in that area.

My point here is that you can have contact with the police no matter what your intention or actions. Caching should not raise that possibility.

Just out of curiosity is there something that is inherently special or unique about this playground?

I usually skip on playground hides unless there is no one around, and even then I may still skip it in preference of a more interesting cache. At least around here, there are playgrounds all over the place, and in my opinion, just because there's an open space there doesn't mean it has to have a cache.

As you can see I've only hidden a few caches. This isn't because I'm selfish, or don't like hiding caches, but I like to have a reason for hiding a cache beyond the fact that I simply could hide one there.

That's just my opinion, and I'm only one person, so feel free to ignore me. :laughing:

Nothing too special about it. It is a nice park, and there are very few caches in this area. (Although there is another one in this park .12 miles away - near, but not on playground equipment.)

The reasoning was not simply just to hide a cache. It was to hide one in an interesting area in an interesting way.

"Don't Ruin It For Everyone Else." is for those that dont play by the rules. In no way have i suggested not playing by the rules.

Why? Because the police might have a real situation they could be investigating, instead of being called to talk to an innocent Geocacher who appeared to be acting suspicious.

I have more than 2000 finds and have never had to talk to the police and this quote concerns me very much.

Having the police called is not "the nature of the sport." :laughing: If you think it is, and you also think a children's playground is a good place to hide a cache, the outcome of that attitude and the cache placement worries me . . . ;)

Not that I am agreeing or disagreeing with your choice... I just don't "get it" so-to-say...

Are you planning on attaching a cache container or holder to a piece of playgound equipment?

Are you planning to bury it under sand/wood chips?

What would be hiding the container?

See... I just don't "get it"....

It may be true that if you are an innocent cacher that you should not have anything to fear from the cops. However, the police are going to arrive thinking about potential problems and not with potential innocent behavior. There is a chance, however slight, for a misunderstanding between them and the cacher. Why invite this?

I agree that having police show up while you are caching is a possibility - that is the nature of the sport in a (sub)urban setting. However, placing your cache in a playground invites more suspicion and increases this likelihood.

Sure we all have the right to be there. Place it if you want, but discretion seems to be the better part of valor in this case.

VKsnr

I've never been approached by the police while Geocaching in almost 5 years and just over 1,300 finds. I've been questioned 2 or 3 times by non-cachers, and once by a mall security guard, but not the police.

As a finder of at least 2 of your caches, let me be the first to commend you on those you HAVE placed.

That being said...I cannot come up with a single good reason to search for a cache placed in the middle of a playground. I realize that according to the guidelines, they are "fine", I see little to no redeeming value to them, and will pass them up time and again. Granted, there are plenty of other caches that fit the "no redeeming value" category that I have logged...but none of them have placed me in the type of situation that a playground cache would.

As Mr. nil said...

That's just my opinion, and I'm only one person, so feel free to ignore me.

We are thinking of placing our first cache. We have thought of several locations/containers. After scoping the area out today we are getting ready for number one.

It would be in a park with playground toys. The location would be right in the middle of the playground. It is a small village with a population of <3000. We dont think this location will be muggled.

Our concern was this, will people be irritated if they come to the park and they cant search for it? (Because of the muggles?) If you looked for it in this location- you would definitely draw attention to yourself and what you are doing.

I dont know how often kids play there- but i know they play there enough.

We think its a great location, but want to be sensitive to other cachers ideas/thoughts.

What are yours?

And to answer the original question...I wouldn't look for it if there were anyone around, especially kids, or there was any possibility I could look 'suspicious' to someone else.

www.geocreed.info

When placing or seeking geocaches, I will:

Not endanger myself or others

Avoid causing disruptions or public alarms

Use caution where children play. Parents are understandably concerned when strangers are near their children.

I found three lines of the creed that are appropriate in this situation. :laughing: