Garmin Map Software

I'm heading to Scotland in a couple of weeks and I want to grab a couple of points over there. I haven't purchased a GPS unit yet, but was leaning towards a Garmin Venture Cx. I wanted to get some maps on the unit for scotland, and then BAM!! I saw the price... $300 dang dollars. More than the GPS unit!!

Anyone have any alternatives? It seems like a large expenditure for 3 weeks. But I'd love to have data like that for the trip.

Thanks,

Scoob

I'm heading to Scotland in a couple of weeks and I want to grab a couple of points over there. I haven't purchased a GPS unit yet, but was leaning towards a Garmin Venture Cx. I wanted to get some maps on the unit for scotland, and then BAM!! I saw the price... $300 dang dollars. More than the GPS unit!!

Anyone have any alternatives? It seems like a large expenditure for 3 weeks. But I'd love to have data like that for the trip.

Thanks,

Scoob

You can buy Topo map segments on MicroSD cards - you might be lucky and get your intended area on one card - the areas covered are shown here

Hi Scoob,

I am a complete newbie looking for mapping answers, too. I picked up a 76csx this weekend and love it so far, but I really don't want to spend another US$140 on mapping data yet.

Question for the experts out there:

I'd like recommendations for getting street level maps at a state or county level for now. I'll eventually purchase the full Garmin set, but need to wait a while. Is there a 3rd party software you suggest that's provides at a more local level?

Thanks much,

Clair

(yes, I searched first ... ...)

For that $140.00 amount, if you shop around, you should be able to get the Garmin City Navigator maps along with a beanbag auto-mount and cigarette-lighter adapter, both of which are very useful.

That is a great GPSr you purchased and you will be amazed how useful it will be with the maps installed, so it can auto-navigate you around unfamiliar areas.

Thanks Chris, That should do the trick. I think I should be able to squeeze the data I need from 1 card. Isle of Skye. Very Beautiful place!!

Clair,

I'm thinking of getting that same unit. Where did you buy?

Thanks,

Scoob

Hi Scoob,

It's a long story, but the short version is that I got an offer too good to turn out from the manager of my local marina store so I splurged. I got to work with the 76 even more this afternoon and I'm in a total love affair with it.

I hope you find the perfect unit for you, too, and if I don't see you on the boards before you leave, have a wonderful time in Scotland. Sounds like a great trip!

Also to the others, thanks for the tip on maps...I think I incorrectly assumed that TOPO maps were focused on elevation -- something I don't need here much in flat Florida, but I'm going to check out those options.

Happy hunts --

Clair