Travelbug Rescue (again)

Jaz666

After a long weekend stuck at home, instead of being out caching, I've had another look at my Travelbug Rescue project.

Instead of messing around with gsak macros and custom mapping, I've figured I can do exactly the same with the tools gc.com provides.

I've started the project again with a list of Caches that have had a TB or Geocoin in residence for more than six months (a lot of them are on top of mountains for some strange reason). I haven't gone down to 4 or 3 months this time, as it's an awful lot of cache and TB listings to look through.

I hope someone finds the list useful, you can also view the caches in Google Earth if you have it.

Just follow the links down in my Sig line.

For two of these caches, Drumguish and Good King MacBeth, there are only a few dedicated cachers who are going to visit.... :lol::)

Unless someone is able to incorporate a trek to the cache into a SGDO, of course...... :D

The Drumguish cache is in the middle of the most boring piece of countryside I have been to in a long time - peat bogs / moorland and no real features. It's on Confluence point. The one saving grace for the TB that was put there is that it was placed by its owner. It took me most of a day to bag this one, even using a mountain bike.

Now Good King Macbeth is a fiendish puzzle cache. probably the most difficult I have solved. You have to visit first to get some info then go away and try to solve it. This will dissuade most folk to start with. As the FTF, I spent quite some time getting to grips with it - loads of emails to the setter (Jango Fett) - there were a few problems which made it much more difficult, but these are all sorted now. My caching companion Thunderbird 30 accompanied me to the cache - I did tell him how to solve it but his eyes glazed over after the first half hour.... Interestingly, it contains a TB that is part of a series to collect. A certain well known cacher from the W. Midlands alledgedly offered inducements to TB30 to divulge the TB info or leave it in his front garden for collection!

For two of these caches, Drumguish and Good King MacBeth, there are only a few dedicated cachers who are going to visit.... :D:laughing:

Unless someone is able to incorporate a trek to the cache into a SGDO, of course...... :laughing:

Now that's a good idea, Sally. You can count me in :laughing:

Whoops... forgot, I'm not Scottish :D

For two of these caches, Drumguish and Good King MacBeth, there are only a few dedicated cachers who are going to visit.... :anicute::anicute:

Unless someone is able to incorporate a trek to the cache into a SGDO, of course...... B)

Now that's a good idea, Sally. You can count me in :lol:

Whoops... forgot, I'm not Scottish :o

But your half brother McPharisee is! :)B):)

For two of these caches, Drumguish and Good King MacBeth, there are only a few dedicated cachers who are going to visit.... :anicute::anicute:

Unless someone is able to incorporate a trek to the cache into a SGDO, of course...... B)

Now that's a good idea, Sally. You can count me in :lol:

Whoops... forgot, I'm not Scottish :o

Oh, I think we might let you in. But if you come after the May elections, you may need your passport :)

There's a tentative plan for another SGDO to climb The Cobbler (aka Ben Arthur - 2 caches on it) sometime in the summer. Keep your eyes open for that one. :)

Assuming the sun stays out, I'll be taking a colleague who wants to get back into caching out to find Merythr Marathon 9 - looks like it should be an easy lunchtime find.

Mission successful! And, we left a geocoin in there as an incentive for someone else to go visit it. Lovely views, and very easy to get to, so I'm surprised it hadn't been found for more than 6 months...

Simon

For two of these caches, Drumguish and Good King MacBeth, there are only a few dedicated cachers who are going to visit.... B):D

Unless someone is able to incorporate a trek to the cache into a SGDO, of course...... :D

Now that's a good idea, Sally. You can count me in :D

Whoops... forgot, I'm not Scottish :)

It's never stopped you before! :D You know that you are welcome, and so is any other cachers that wish to come along.

Not quite on topic, but not so far off to warrant a new thread.

Yesterday we took These Boots TB from a cache where it had been for about 6 months (cache had been temp disabled due to flooding/works). Anyway, the last entry on the TBs page was of it being placed into the cache, and there had been no activity on the cache either on line or in the pages of the log book, yet the TB was listed as being in the hands of another cacher - who I couldn't find at all in the TB's history, although the TB shows up on that cacher's Trackables tab.

Anyway I "grabbed" the TB. a) Was that the right thing to do? (people often grumble about "grabbing") b. How did that situation arise?

Because it was in the hands of the other cacher, it will not have shown up on the TB rescue list.

Edited by Team Sieni

Rescued TB - Full Steam Ahead from GCW8AB, Norfolk's Quiet Lanes cache, one we'd FTF'd a while ago, seems like its too quiet around here. Went on a ramble checking up on a few micros on the way and found one micro leading to this cache is missing. I'll of course inform the setter.

One of those I have done and I could potentially visit on my way home, to rescue the trapped geocoin. I don't much fancy a return trip to the mosquito infested swamp, but I could do it I suppose....

I will also give the owner of another of the local ones a kick (he is conveniently seated nearby) and get him to move along the TB stuck in his own cache for some months.

I understand this is absolutely an outside chance, but is anybody planning a trip to Petra in Jordan anytime soon? :D

It looks like a fantasic place from the gallery photos, but I would love to have my 'Legless Lizard' travel bug rescued from the cache of the same name and moved on. (GC282A)

Can anybody help me out?

:blink::D

I note that some I have done are now on the list!

I am hoping to cache in the Trowbridge area this weekend - I'll swing by Forgotten Footpath and see if I can rescue the TBs

Hi

Just noticed that you have one of my caches on your list - Beautiful Borrowdale. Not sure how I feel about it - 'rescue' seems to imply something negative/critical. If it's about encouraging people to go and find caches that haven't been found for a while, that's great.

My cache is being actively managed, checked on it a month or so ago, it's just waiting for someone to figure out the conundrum and go get it. If a TB or coin had been there for six months I would have gone and got it myself, and would be happy to 'rescue' it if the owner asked. I guess that's why it feels a bit critical.

As it happens, a quick check of the TB page shows that Elly Fant arrived in the cache on the 24th March this year. So I guess it shouldn't be on the list.

Obviously, I would still very much encourage anyone to check the maps and go find the cache as it's in a very pleasant spot! You don't even need detailed maps of the lakes, a road atlas should suffice! :shocked::(

Cheers

Ahh, sorry. That one slipped through the net.

It appears that the person who dropped the TB deleted their note from the cache page, so I assumed it had been in residence since last year.

I'm looking through over a hundred cache listings a week, with 70 currently bookmarked, so mistakes are bound to creep in.

I hope someone visits your cache soon, it looks very nice.

I note that some I have done are now on the list!

I am hoping to cache in the Trowbridge area this weekend - I'll swing by Forgotten Footpath and see if I can rescue the TBs

Now archived = luckily I checked before I went there! :laughing:

edit: got the quotes wrong

Edited by macroderma

Yep, you are right, I didn't check closely enough.

The bug in that other cache hasn't moved since July 2005, and the cache hasn't been found since February 2006, and it also needs adopting!

I'll keep a particular eye on that one.

Edited by Jaz666

GCQ6HZ

Suffolk Sudoku Final

A cache by SuffolkChief Hidden: 8/18/2005

Size: (Regular) Difficulty: Terrain: (1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)

Unfortunately one of the caches you need to solve inorder to get the final cache seems to still be out of order. So i am unable to rescue it. All the others are too far away. Will let Tb owner know and see if they can get co-ords so that it can be rescued.

I was looking around the forum being relatively new to all this and I found your rescue a TB. After checking out the bookmark, I decided that as it tis the season to be jolly an' all soon we would try and venture out and do the Advent Calender one GCZY3R hopefully at the weekend if all stays slightly dry!!!!

Wish me luck as it will be my first puzzle cache! :unsure:

Gosh, what a coincidence! As we have a local event this Friday I've just been on my own rescue mission to recover some TBs from 2 of my less frequented (harder!) caches where they have been languishing for several months awaiting the next visitor. Having just logged them into the event I come onto the fourm and I cop this thread!

However, I twice emailed the owner of a geocoin which has been similarly been in our Let's Go Caving! Burrington Combe cache making the same offer only to have no response so I've deliberately left it put.

I've personally never been really into the coin/TB thing so I suppose I'm wondering whether we should be 'rescuing' coins/TBs without the owner's prior blessing? Surely it's curteousy to ask first? As the owner of some less frequently visited caches it's great to have a resident coin/TB as further encouragement for others to visit it.

Of course I've no problem if the 'rescue' is by a new visitor to the cache, after all that's what it's all about. However, to have the owner or others re-visit just to specifically move on the item is a different kettle of fish IMHO - that's why I asked the owners first.

Now I bet that's :lol: !

PS: Excellent bookmark and utility Jazz666

Edited by FollowMeChaps

I've personally never been really into the coin/TB thing so I suppose I'm wondering whether we should be 'rescuing' coins/TBs without the owner's prior blessing? Surely it's curteousy to ask first? As the owner of some less frequently visited caches it's great to have a resident coin/TB as further encouragement for others to visit it.

Whereas I agree that it may be curteous to inform the TB/coin owner before a rescue, as far as I am concerned to object of my travellers is to do just that, travel. I hate it if any of mine get stuck in a cache for a long time and hope that they will soon be moved. :lol:

Well tha's my two pennyworth.

Tony

<snip>I've personally never been really into the coin/TB thing so I suppose I'm wondering whether we should be 'rescuing' coins/TBs without the owner's prior blessing? Surely it's courtesy to ask first? As the owner of some less frequently visited caches it's great to have a resident coin/TB as further encouragement for others to visit it. <snip>

The point of the list, though, is that the caches haven't been visited and aren't attracting any cachers no matter what's in them. They do need moving, hence the word "travel" in TB :ph34r:

The Northwest cachers forum winter wander on anglezarke moor mounted a tb rescue yesterday.

despite the atrocious weather, gales horizontal rain and poor visibility, the 8 members and 4 geodogs effected a TB rescue at Spectrum white and repatriated tb '42' stuck on the moor since march07

hurrah :lol: