Skeletons on the Cache site

adm4984

My wife and I went caching yesterday with my ten year old sister in law. She had never been before and was very excited at the prospect of finding stuff hidden in the woods. After two DNFs :rolleyes: because of the recent flooding Connecticut had, we went to our third and final stop for the day. The cache was located about 1/2 mile from the parking lot and about 250 feet into the woods. After circling the area, my sister in law calls out that she found something-not the cache though. Tangled in some low lying branches was-get this- A SPINE!!!! :rolleyes: After loooking at it for a while, we determined that it looked eerily human and I decided that maybe we should call the police. I led them to where it was and we all had the same opinion: if there had been a body at the bottom of the lake, the flood could have washed it up. However, after much examination, it was determined it wasn't human. We dont know what it was, but the important part is that it wasnt human. After that, we were able to continue our search and my sister in law found the cache!!! :laughing: Has anything like this ever happened to anyone?

It's not uncommon to find deer skeletons this time of year, since deer season recently ended in many areas. I visited a cache two weeks ago beside which someone had dumped a deer carcass sometime in February. Recent logs talked about how revolting it was, but by the time I visited, all that was left was a few bones and some fur.

I made a cache out of deerbones as my firest hide. (added a LARGE waterproof container inside to keep it dry)

I did find a human once while caching, it was still fresh. Cops said it was a suicide.

Otherwise, lots of deer, beaver, skunk, racoon, Coyote, and porcupine. Weirdest I came across though was what looked like a cattle body dumping ground. It was a valley between 2 cattle farms, and it looks like various cow parts had been thrown into it. Oh well, nothing like a breeze of fresh air!

My wife and I went caching yesterday with my ten year old sister in law. She had never been before and was very excited at the prospect of finding stuff hidden in the woods. After two DNFs :rolleyes: because of the recent flooding Connecticut had, we went to our third and final stop for the day. The cache was located about 1/2 mile from the parking lot and about 250 feet into the woods. After circling the area, my sister in law calls out that she found something-not the cache though. Tangled in some low lying branches was-get this- A SPINE!!!! ;) After loooking at it for a while, we determined that it looked eerily human and I decided that maybe we should call the police. I led them to where it was and we all had the same opinion: if there had been a body at the bottom of the lake, the flood could have washed it up. However, after much examination, it was determined it wasn't human. We dont know what it was, but the important part is that it wasnt human. After that, we were able to continue our search and my sister in law found the cache!!! ;) Has anything like this ever happened to anyone?

Well sort of... mine was while drawing an orienteering map and it was human...

Let's see, Deer, Possums, Raccoons, Feral Pigs, (several, they're a problem in S. FL), Snakes, Lizards, Frogs, but no Humans. (so far, :rolleyes: ) I've also had encounters with the LIVE variety of some of these, which is MUCH MORE scary! Best Adrelaline Rush, encountering a Florida Panther while doing "THE GHOST ORCHID" Multi. GC112JY)

GM

PS: OOPS! And of course, a GATOR! (~3 foot one, nothing really scary)

Edited by Gator Man

Yep, sure have. Deer seem to be the most commonly found. Just this weekend I found a young deer skull. The horns are more like stubs..Looks kind of like a devil skull. Also, I have found dead racoons, a dead fox rotting close by caches. It adds to the hunt if you ask me.

I've been caching for 4 months now and am surprised by the number of bones I've run across. These include skeletons of deer, dogs, cats, racoons and other unidentified remains. My cache found number is just over 80 so my conclusion is that if you are hunting woodland or non suburban caches you are likely to find dead critters. Finding humans remains would be a shocker.

You know there is no undertaker in the wild so to find dead animal remains is not only common but shows there is still some wildlife ! Does not last long before scavengers and maggots make everything disappear.

I hunt and usually I return to mother nature the carcass of my preys after having butchered them. This is recycling, and is not disgusting.

while searching for a new cache site to hide came upon a complete deer skeleton and ended up making a multi-cache named Boneyard GCYJYV and incorporated some of the bones as part of the cache. Last week while on a cache we found a dead bird with no head on it, still had feathers & everything but no head?! :(

Edited by mdegarmo

I found a dead frog body (just the head) with my newbie cacher. Actually, he's been doing most of the work for me because I broke my toe just under two months ago. Broke = shattered.

We were looking for a traveling cache and found the micro near there instead. We wanted to grab it because its last known location was right by a dyke and this is "flood season" so I wanted it to make sure it didn't get sent out to sea.

I find bones all the time and in fact made a cow skull into a really neat cache container. I called it Dummkopf. That's German for "block-head." I remember my grandfather using the term on more than one occasion, usually when I was riding in a car he was driving. The last guy to find my cow head cache said it was the best cache container he had ever seen. That was the last time anyone saw it. It headed off somewhere right after that. :(

-it

I have a gas-saver, 4 caches on one long-ish trail. Someone puts out deer carcasses to attract coyotes. It's a bit disconcerting to some of the cachers, but it's one of the approved uses for that parcel.

Edited by Kacky

while searching for a new cache site to hide came upon a complete deer skeleton and ended up making a multi-cache named Boneyard GCYJYV and incorporated some of the bones as part of the cache. Last week while on a cache we found a dead bird with no head on it, still had feathers & everything but no head?! :(

Ozzy Osbourne's a geocacher?