Deleting Multiple Waypoints from Garmin Venture CX

I have a Garmin Venture CX.

My gps is full and won't allow me to enter any new waypoints. I'd like to delete a large number of the ones I already have loaded (especially from other states I don't plan on visiting for awhile), however, the Garmin instruction book only details how to delete the waypoints one at a time. This is time consuming and I'm wondering:

1) Is there a way to delete more than one way point at a time, like when you delete multiple pics from a digital camera?

2) Is there a waypoint managing software program that can go in and clear these out?

or

3) I have a SD Card installed, which I think only stores maps for me (though I don't have any installed). Can it be used to store additional waypoints so I don't need to delete as many?

Thanks for your help.

I have the Vista C and to delete Waypoints I go to Find Geocaches/Menu button/Delete. Then I delete by symbol. Because there are waypoints I want to keep in the GPSr, I only delete the Geocaches, Geocaches Found, and "stale" waypoints.

Someone else can come along and help you with the card information. If you load Geocaches as POIs, as I understand it, you can have thousands of them.

1-2) ... or when on the waypoint list (find..waypoint) menu button / delete / delete "by symbol" or "all".

3) Yes, you can store waypoints as POIs on the card. And images, mp3 files etc :laughing: You need this program:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1673

and then look here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...mp;hl=poiloader

Edited by Maingray

I have a Garmin Venture CX.

My gps is full and won't allow me to enter any new waypoints. I'd like to delete a large number of the ones I already have loaded (especially from other states I don't plan on visiting for awhile), however, the Garmin instruction book only details how to delete the waypoints one at a time. This is time consuming and I'm wondering:

1) Is there a way to delete more than one way point at a time, like when you delete multiple pics from a digital camera?

2) Is there a waypoint managing software program that can go in and clear these out?

or

3) I have a SD Card installed, which I think only stores maps for me (though I don't have any installed). Can it be used to store additional waypoints so I don't need to delete as many?

Thanks for your help.

Another option that might be quicker assuming your not wanting to get rid of all your waypoints with the same symbol would be to upload all of your waypoints to Mapsource, then you can view all of them easily and quickly and higlight all of the ones you want to get rid of, then delete your highlighted waypoints all at one time. Then erase all waypoints from your GPSr and download your new Mapsource file of waypoints. If your are going through 500 waypoints and wanting to view each one to decide whether to save or delete it, this may be your quickest method.

I have a Garmin legend CX and I need to know the same thing. There is nothing on my screen that allows me to delete by symbol. I have less than 500 waypoints so something is eating my memory. I have no map software nor any fancy stuff. The above suggestions didn't work and I am not that crazy about doing the POI software, Help. Leaving for Chicago in 2 days and I can load any caches to do while I am there.

I want to delete all my waypoints and start fresh. LTTB

I have a Garmin legend CX and I need to know the same thing. There is nothing on my screen that allows me to delete by symbol. I have less than 500 waypoints so something is eating my memory. I have no map software nor any fancy stuff. The above suggestions didn't work and I am not that crazy about doing the POI software, Help. Leaving for Chicago in 2 days and I can load any caches to do while I am there.

I want to delete all my waypoints and start fresh. LTTB

To delete Waypoints by symbol on GPSr: this is with a 60 series GPSr but the Legend Cx will do the same thing, the buttons are just labeled differently. Find > Waypoints > Menu > Delete > "Used Symbols" and select "All Symbols" or just the waypoints with all the same symbol to delete.

In Mapsource you can hold the Ctrl key and select multiple Waypoints and delete as many as you want to with one push of the Delete key.

I'm bringing this topic back to life because I never figured out a way to delete waypoints on the PC.

I mean, I can push waypoints from the GPSr to the MapSource application, but deleting them on the application doesn't have any effect on the GPS unit.

Is there a way to selectively delete waypoints from the GPS unit but using the PC?

Another option that might be quicker assuming your not wanting to get rid of all your waypoints with the same symbol would be to upload all of your waypoints to Mapsource, then you can view all of them easily and quickly and higlight all of the ones you want to get rid of, then delete your highlighted waypoints all at one time. Then erase all waypoints from your GPSr and download your new Mapsource file of waypoints. If your are going through 500 waypoints and wanting to view each one to decide whether to save or delete it, this may be your quickest method.

What he said.

I'm bringing this topic back to life because I never figured out a way to delete waypoints on the PC.

I mean, I can push waypoints from the GPSr to the MapSource application, but deleting them on the application doesn't have any effect on the GPS unit.

Is there a way to selectively delete waypoints from the GPS unit but using the PC?

BaseCamp has this feature.

On my Legend CX there is a menu screen, and on that menu screen there's an option called "trip computer". Choose that. Then press the menu button (down low on the left) and from the context menu choose "reset". "Delete all waypoints' is unchecked by default, so you'll have to check it or choose "select all". That does what you want.