Interception Cache - Archived!

Interception cache has just been archived. I understand why because the final cache calculations are a picture file which was hosted on Dan's buckscaching.co.uk, which is now defunct. I'd probably be happy to take over maintenence for it, although it's a bit outside of my 'easy visit' area, but I'd be happy to take it over unless anyone else wants to, and we can arrange it with Dan / the powers that be.

Does anyone have better contact details for Dan than the gc.com website? I've emailed him through there, but not had any response.

Anyone any ideas? I suppose if we can't adopt it, then we could just place a new listing with the same location and clues, but that would lose the cache page history.

The Ring and Burial Mound have also gone. I would look after either (or both, at a push) if I wasn't in the process of thining my own 140 caches down to more managable levels. Such a shame if they've been archived for good, but Burial Mound at least needed an image on the page which is now missing. :laughing:

Edited by Simply Paul

All these 3 were on my watchlist - so I received the archive notices too. They were all highly-rated caches, and it's a great shame to see them disappear - especially (for me) Interception - since I've held all 3 TBs, and I'm just waiting for a chance to visit the final...

Someone recently posted an image of the required formula - so that's not an issue with this one. Perhaps someone who knows him could persuade Dan to pass these out for adoption?

Baz.

Hi Guys,

I just contacted Dan. He should get back to me asap.

I know he doesnt have Internet in his new place which is the reason he hasnt responded to anyone....

I am pretty sure he won't want Interception and The Ring and Burial Mound to be archived so he should get back to me asap.

Hi all, and sorry to any one who has mailed me on this topic who I have not got back to, as Ben said I don't have internet in my new place and have to do a 30 mile round trip to my parents to get online.

I would be quite willing to adopt any of these 3 caches out, perhaps I can pass my account details to Pid who could do the business for me. I don't however, have the details for interception so someone who has found the bugs and has the numbers needed and the final coords would need to pass those details on to whoever takes over and recreates the bugs etc.

The ring is the one cache it would be really sad to see vanish in my opinion. If anyone wants to take that onboard I would be really chuffed but a new box is needed and all parts would need a maintainance visit.

I just don't have the time any more unfortunatly, working split shifts means there just arn't the tim gaps there used to be and days off I have more important things like drinking to be doing :laughing:

As I don't have access to the computer on a regular basis if anyone is interested please send Pid an email and he can pass on my mobile number!

Cheers, Dan

Thanks for the response Dan. I'd be happy to adopt Interception unless anyone closer wants it. It'd be a great shame to see it go.

The formula for calculating the final co-ords has been put into the cache gallery by Subarite, and the cache box is healthy (well it was when I found is 2 months ago), so there's very little needed to get it back up and running.

I'd probably be happy to take over maintenence for it, although it's a bit outside of my 'easy visit' area, but I'd be happy to take it over unless anyone else wants to, and we can arrange it with Dan / the powers that be.

I have been in contact with Dave Palmer (Deceangi) and he is willing to unarchive it and allow it to be adopted - see the post I have placed on the Interception cache page.

Thanks for volunteering to take this on - I, amongst many, really appreciate it.

All I need now is to get over there and visit the cache...

Regards,

- Dick

Well, the cache has now been un-archived, I've adopted it and updated the links and solution.

I seem to have adopted this without giving anyone else a chance, so if anyone else did particularly want to adopt it, let me know and you can have it. I just wanted to make sure it didn't get archived.

My thanks to Dan, Pid and Deceangi.

Well, the cache has now been un-archived, I've adopted it and updated the links and solution.

I seem to have adopted this without giving anyone else a chance, so if anyone else did particularly want to adopt it, let me know and you can have it. I just wanted to make sure it didn't get archived.

Excellent Nick, you have just made my day - thank you.

Not yet in a position to find the cache as I have only managed to get one of the 3 TBs so far (watching the others but not been able to get my hands on the little blighters and was rather sad to think it was no more). So the challenge is still on – I wonder if the wife would like to go for a drive, just a couple of hundred miles should do it :laughing: .

Congrats on the adoption Nick. I'm glad to see it saved as it was the one I'd kept for my 500th find :D

Well done Nick. Now, does anyone have the map from Burial Mound squirreled away somewhere? If so, I'd be happy to adopt it. I'll just have to handle the extra workload :laughing::D

I've a B&W printout of the cache page if that's any use to you. I can't tell if it's printed the full width. I'll scan it and email it to you.

Edited by The Bongtwashes

Thanks for bringing this cache to my attention. It's now on my to do list - fortunately one of the TBs is close by!

Interception cache has just been archived. I understand why because the final cache calculations are a picture file which was hosted on Dan's buckscaching.co.uk, which is now defunct.

Was there any reason that the final co-ords were given as an image rather than text?

Was there any reason that the final co-ords were given as an image rather than text?

No, although the image makes the text look 3D with shadows, but I expect that can be done in html. the main problem was that Dan hosted the image on his own website, which has now closed. If he'd added the image to the cache gallery and linked to that, it would have carried on working. I think most people now use the cache's own gallery for images on the page.

Why don't more cache setters host the graphic files they use on their cache pages on the GC servers? Simple for others to adopt caches then as the pictures don't go missing. Or is this a "too easy" option?

The vast majority do host them on geocaching.com. These particular caches were created a long time ago though, and music files were also linked to, which can't be hosted on geocaching.com. It made sense to keep the images and music files in the same place I guess?

The vast majority do host them on geocaching.com. These particular caches were created a long time ago though, and music files were also linked to, which can't be hosted on geocaching.com. It made sense to keep the images and music files in the same place I guess?

But why not host these on GC now instead of personal / individuals servers? Perfect time to do it.

Can't be ar*ed to change them all. Anyway... I have no intention of letting anyone else have any of my caches. If I can't maintain them, they're gone!!! :anicute:

<POLITE MODE>Why?</POLITE MODE>

Cos they're MINE, MINE.... all MINE, I tell ya. Set with my blood, sweat and tears :D:)

And anyway.... nobody in their right mind would want 'em!!

Well done Nick. Now, does anyone have the map from Burial Mound squirreled away somewhere? If so, I'd be happy to adopt it. I'll just have to handle the extra workload :anicute::)

Cool! I already emailed Dan/Pid to ask if I could adopt this cache, but I'm happy for SP to look after it. I'm sure Mrs HF will be happy I don't have even *more* caches to maintain too!!

But if you're not that bothered, SP, I'll happily take it over. It's up to you. :D

Well done Nick. Now, does anyone have the map from Burial Mound squirreled away somewhere? If so, I'd be happy to adopt it. I'll just have to handle the extra workload :D:mad:
Cool! I already emailed Dan/Pid to ask if I could adopt this cache, but I'm happy for SP to look after it. I'm sure Mrs HF will be happy I don't have even *more* caches to maintain too!!

But if you're not that bothered, SP, I'll happily take it over. It's up to you. :(

All I'm worried about is ensuring this fine old cache has a safe future, so as long as you're happy to look after it, I'm happy for you guys to take responsibility for it. I'll email you the map I was sent for it. :(
It's now on my to do list - fortunately one of the TBs is close by!
Or so I thought! Can anyone help me understand how or why Interception Bug 2 is currently 'in' a micro (GC10VQD)? ;) Thanks!

I'm investigating that missing TB. It was logged into that micro by mistake, but dropped into another cache, and has been picked up by someone. I'm not sure whether they know how to handle TBs, so I've emailed them to ask about it. If I don't any response soon, I've got all the materials I need to release a copy of the TB.