Geocaching with City Navigator V8?

turjohn

I just recently installed City Navigator V8 on my 60CSx, and when I first took it geocaching I noticed that on the compass page, it no longer gives the option to mark the cache as "Found". I can't figure out how to get that back, plus I am not crazy about having the autorouting on while geocaching. Is there a way to not use the City Navigator while I am geocaching, and then turn it back on when I am 'roadtrippinit' ?

I just recently installed City Navigator V8 on my 60CSx, and when I first took it geocaching I noticed that on the compass page, it no longer gives the option to mark the cache as "Found". I can't figure out how to get that back, plus I am not crazy about having the autorouting on while geocaching. Is there a way to not use the City Navigator while I am geocaching, and then turn it back on when I am 'roadtrippinit' ?

The unit will not show the option for found if you are currently routing "on road". When you get out of the vehicle hit the menu button and select reroute. Then select off road. You might need to set up the unit to ask you how you want to route instead of having a default of "on road"

The unit will not show the option for found if you are currently routing "on road". When you get out of the vehicle hit the menu button and select reroute. Then select off road. You might need to set up the unit to ask you how you want to route instead of having a default of "on road"

I am considering CN V8 NT for my 60csx along with a 2 gig micro card. Does anyone have recent pros or cons for this?

Thanks.

dad2jnk

I am considering CN V8 NT for my 60csx along with a 2 gig micro card. Does anyone have recent pros or cons for this?

Thanks.

dad2jnk

I geocache with City Nav 8 all the time...works well for me. I just have to make sure that once i am in the area i turn off follow road because that will really mess with you. I have also found that if the cache is near a park or something that is near an interstate the auto routing will want you to get on the interstate to get to the cache. This is rare and more of an annoyance than a problem.

Over all i am very pleased with city nav you just need to know when to turn it off.

Pros: You can upload the entire mapset for all of the US, Canada and Puerto Rico on the 2GB card. (It takes about 3 hours to upload 'em all).

Cons: ?? None that I can think of! :laughing:

Thanks.

dad2jnk

you can upload the entirety of city nav in about 20 minutes or less if you use and external SD card reader. If you do it through the GPS it will take a very long time.

Thanks. If I get the micro SD from Amazon, it comes with the mini SD adapter which will fit into the wife's printer. That should work shouldn't it?

Thanks for the advice. Any others?

dad2jnk

I recently got a 2G card and found that all of North America would use up less than 1G of memory. I still had lots of room for a substantial amount of Topo etc. Of course the limiting factor is that the max. # of maps that can be put on is 2025. I maxed that out at about 1.6G. I think many people are waiting hoping that Garmin will get around to increasing the max. # of maps. I am really happy with it though.

I recently got a 2G card and found that all of North America would use up less than 1G of memory. I still had lots of room for a substantial amount of Topo etc. Of course the limiting factor is that the max. # of maps that can be put on is 2025. I maxed that out at about 1.6G. I think many people are waiting hoping that Garmin will get around to increasing the max. # of maps. I am really happy with it though.

Only 1G for all of North America. That is less than I thought. Cool!

That brings another question...what is the difference between CN v8 and CN v8 NT? The web site says the compression on the DVD, but is there any reason to get one over the other? The 60CSx is supposed to be compatible with the NT version.

I am sure there are many threads answering this question. Thanks for your patience.

dad2jnk

It is my understanding the the NT version will fit in less space on your memory card, but some users have stated that transitions are a little slower with that version than with the regular City Navigator. I am still using City Select Version #6. Waiting for City Navigator Version #9. I figure it will be coming out in the next couple of months.

Only 1G for all of North America. That is less than I thought. Cool!

I'm not sure which program you were using, but CN8 takes 1633.8MB for all of North America (including the route calculation data). Without the route calculation data, it's still 1165.4MB.

Some of the older maps are likely smaller, I'd imagine.