Etrex Legend CX

You might want to consider the Venture CX it's cheaper than the Legend CX. It is essentially the Legend CX without the memory card, USB cable and Waypoint Manager software. Most people replace the memory card anyway with a more capacious one, so no point in paying for one that will sit in your desk drawer. Also if you have a digital camera or certain cell phones you are likely to already have the USB cable (or can buy one for under $10) and nobody I know uses that lame software anyway.

Anyway, neither the Venture CX or Legend CX are units that you will outgrow quickly. They take memory cards up to 2 gigs and you can download a variety of Garmin's mapping software packages to them as your needs change.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks for your quick response.

I do have a cable for my digital camera (Nixon)- are they universal?. You mention upgrading the memory card- about how much can the size provided hold- one city? half a state? (realizing that Oregon is less populated that NJ so that might not be a coherent question).

Can the mapping capabilities be used for navigation when in a car? To supplement a mapquest search prior to departure, or as a stand alone?

Many thanks for your time. Need to get this figured out quickly, on son is taking our etrex on a backpacking adventure shortly.

You might want to consider the Venture CX it's cheaper than the Legend CX. It is essentially the Legend CX without the memory card, USB cable and Waypoint Manager software. Most people replace the memory card anyway with a more capacious one, so no point in paying for one that will sit in your desk drawer. Also if you have a digital camera or certain cell phones you are likely to already have the USB cable (or can buy one for under $10) and nobody I know uses that lame software anyway.

Anyway, neither the Venture CX or Legend CX are units that you will outgrow quickly. They take memory cards up to 2 gigs and you can download a variety of Garmin's mapping software packages to them as your needs change.

I use the eTrex yellow for work, and I have an eTrex Legend CX at home. The legend doesn't have a memory card. The USB cable is not interchangeable with my digital camera, or anything else that I own, for that matter. Perhaps it's different with the Venture? Not sure where Briansnat is getting his info. Maybe I'm confusing myself. Who knows...

but the Legend CX is pure joy to use, compared to the yellow. However, I have had some minor glitches to deal with, but they don't present a huge problem.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

I use the eTrex yellow for work, and I have an eTrex Legend CX at home. The legend doesn't have a memory card. The USB cable is not interchangeable with my digital camera, or anything else that I own, for that matter. Perhaps it's different with the Venture? Not sure where Briansnat is getting his info. Maybe I'm confusing myself. Who knows...

but the Legend CX is pure joy to use, compared to the yellow. However, I have had some minor glitches to deal with, but they don't present a huge problem.

There may be a little misunderstanding here. The -X GPSr's from Garmin all have the ability to use memory cards. Perhaps nonaeroterraqueous does not have one installed or perhaps his unit is actually a Legend C.

I believe Briansnat has nailed your question. I once discussed getting a Legend Cx with someone from Garmin and he recommended the Venture Cx for exactly the reasons cited.

Offhand, I can't tell you how much mapping you can get on the 32 or 64MB card sold with the Legend Cx, but it takes 512 MB to 1 GB to have the whole Mapsource North America on your card. Micro SD cards of this size can be had for from $15-65, depending on how hard to look for a bargain. Hence, buying the Venture Cx plus a separate card, and using the USB cable you already have, gets you a better set up than buying the Legend Cx, at a slightly lower price.

PapaDean

There may be a little misunderstanding here. The -X GPSr's from Garmin all have the ability to use memory cards. Perhaps nonaeroterraqueous does not have one installed or perhaps his unit is actually a Legend C.

:laughing: yep, that's it. I knew I was confusing myself. I have a Legend C, not a CX. I'm going back over to the off-topic forum if anybody needs me :rolleyes:

(nevermind)

Re: Map source city-

How do I find out what cities are covered? I live in a smaller city (Salem, OR)- would really like detailed maps of Oregon and Southern Washington to leave on the GPS, and just load other cities when I travel one by one.

This is what you need i love it works great on and off road!

and you can get a 2 gig micro SD for about 15$ and just scrap the one it comes with.

If you go with CityNav you can fit all of Oregon on a 32mb card. If you have a 64mb card you can fit all of Oregon and Washington, or do Oregon with both CityNav and Topo. If you spring for a 1gb card (not too hard to find under $20) you can do just about anything most people would need. Salem coverage looks pretty good, check out the Garmin's map viewer to see what's available.

This is somewhat of a new topic, but relates to the existing topic of the eTrex Legend Cx. I recently upgraded to an eTrex Legend Cx. I mostly like it, but the documentation is not very helpful. The same goes for the documentation for the Mapsource and teh Trip & Waypoint Manager. In fact, it's practiacally worthless for geocaching. I have more or less figured out how to use the Trip & Waypoint Manager and the Mapsource software in a rudimentary way, but I'm not thrilled with it. There are a lot of things I would expect to be able to do, and I can't figure out how to do them. I would like to correspond with someone who is comfortable working with software to manage waypoints.

Here are some of the issues (I have many others):

1. I use the my.garmin website to get geocache waypoints and download them into my gps. From there, I upload them into the mapsource software and try to organize them. For example, I change the waypoint names to English names and I select categories for the waypoints. Then I load them back down to the GPS.

Is this the best way to do this?

2. Every time I do this, I seem to end up with duplicate waypoints in the GPS and in the Mapsource (the ones with the GCxxxx name and the ones with the English names). It also seems to erase the categories.

3. I can't figure out how to group the waypoints with a particular map. All of the waypoints seem to come up with each of the maps (in Mapsource).

4. The my.garmin downloading site only lets you get regualr geocaches, not multicaches, virtual or puzzle caches. How can I get the other types?

5. I also seem to be downloading unwanted things, mostly with blue flags, like Garmin offices and shrimp restaurants. Every time, I delete them, and then the next time I download, there they are.

6. When entering coordinates manually, It seems you can only put them in waypoints, not in geocaches. But sometimes they seem to magically end up in geocaches anyway. What is going on.

7. Most of my questions could be solved if I had a decent user's manual. Is there a book or some website that has USEFUL instructions?

8. Is there a way to store the maps on my computer so I don't have to keep swithching diskettes every time I want to look at a different area?

9. Can I use "found" on the gps to upload somehow the found caches? I'd like to create a file of them in the Mapsource.

I would really appreciate some help. I'd like to be able to e-mail someone that understands this stuff.

Thanks for any help.

I just got a Venture Cx . I am very pleased with it. Its the same as the Legend Cx except less expensive. I got a 1GB micro Sd card at J&R.com for around $14 and I had a USB cable with a mini B plug. I dont plan on buying maps in the imediate future so I didn't need the Map Source program. I can upload any free maps with IMG2GPS. It has great battery life and takes standard AA size batteries.

One small thing I slightly got caught on was that the Venture Cx (and Legend Cx) doesn't output NMEA data. So in order to use it with the likes of Microsoft's Streets and Trips you need to buy GPSgate. (Its only around $10.) .Its a small program that creates a virtual com port and translates Garmin's proprietary data into NMEA. (It doesn't work with Garmin's similar free Spanner program)

Also I discovered the Venture Cx can be powered by a car charger like Motorola's for the Razor.

see here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2857440

Note: when i say car charger : it doesn't recharge the batteries in the unit in only powers it.

One other small thing I like: the VentureCx is bright yellow -easy to find if misplaced out in there in the wilderness!!

Edited by passdump

This is somewhat of a new topic, but relates to the existing topic of the eTrex Legend Cx. I recently upgraded to an eTrex Legend Cx. I mostly like it, but the documentation is not very helpful. <snip>

Since you are a Premium Member, you can create Pocket Queries. Here is an excellent site explaining pocket queries. :D

Although there is other completely-free software available, many people end up using GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). Using it you can Export in the Mapsource format so you can see where the caches are. You can also send the caches to your GPSr. And, if you already have a PDA, you can Export from GSAK in the correct format for Cachemate if that is the program you decide to use.

Sorry I didn't answer all your questions, but I think this will help.

Welcome to the addiction! <_<