Palm Tungsten TX

skeiter

Looks great, sure we would use it lots, for paperless Geocaching amongst other things. Looking for opinions from anyone who has used for caching. We have the Garmin 76CS & are quite happy with it. Would like to get rid of paper though so thinking of getting a PDA that will do a variety of things, as long as the caching is good since that is our main consideration. Opinions anyone?

If you plan on using it for something other than caching, it's a great PDA. You'll need to exercise caution in any inhospitable climates, because they are fairly delicate, as compared to your GPSr. One good "Plunk" in a creek, and it becomes a paperweight. I learned that the hard way with a Garmin Ique 3600 PDA. Fortunately, I had an extended warranty, so Garmin was able to breath new life into my paperweight. As a back up, I bought a used Palm Zire 21 on E-bay for $20. It handles all my geocaching needs just fine, and I won't sweat dropping it.

Looks great, sure we would use it lots, for paperless Geocaching amongst other things. Looking for opinions from anyone who has used for caching. We have the Garmin 76CS & are quite happy with it. Would like to get rid of paper though so thinking of getting a PDA that will do a variety of things, as long as the caching is good since that is our main consideration. Opinions anyone?

I just got one to go with my Garmin 60csx. It's a significant improvement to my caching experience. I spent the extra bucks because I planned on using it for other things as well. Get a case for it. I've dropped it twice from my shirt pocket when bending over to look for a cache. No damage, but I may have been lucky. There was a good price on Amazon for it a week or two ago.

I use a Palm TX for going paperless and when I'm not using it for caching, I like that it has an expandable memory port for SD cards that I load up with my favorite MP3's. Yep, I use it as an ipod replacement. Usually I either listen to it on the trainhome while sleeping or playing solitaire if I can't sleep. It had wi-fi, blue tooth, VPN, network.. and a bunch of other features. I do use the standard hot sync though the unit I have is a bit goofy, if I don't reset it before putting it in the cradle, it will lock up and I have to reset it anyway. I don't know that this is a feature of the nit or if I havea flaky unit. I use cachemate in my TX and make sure to place all my info into specific database files since I've lost info when I reset the unit if they are in the default db.

If you are going to use it for ANYTHING other than geocaching it is a ausome unit. We purchased one over a year ago and have been paperless ever since, the one big selling point for us was that if the battery goes dead you dont loose all your info, and that it is WiFi and Bluetooth compatable, the WiFi is nice if you have TB's or Coins to log or just to log in general. We also check for new caches at hotspots if we have been away from home for a few days, we geocache miles and sometimes days from home and it is a allaround ausome unit

I would purchase another one if this one ever dies

Sweetlife

I have purchased 4 PDAs since I started geocaching.

My favorite is not a palm, it's an Axim pocket PC.

The one I use for geocaching is the one that cost 20 bucks, a Palm III, cause I don't care if it breaks, (and you will break it eventually if you take it geocaching)

Paperless caching rocks! So much less prep to go caching, and fewer dead trees. Just export a file from GSAK into the PDA and off I go.

As for PDAs.... My first PDA was a Palm, and when I needed a new one, I was defaulting to Palm again. Then a fellow cacher showed me his HP iPAQ 2495 and I was sold, even though it's not cheap. Plenty of memory, slot for a memory card, runs Streets & Trips (thanks to Windows OS), Bluetooth and wireless.

The T|X is my 4th Palm PDA, via one Axim which I gave back. The T|X is expensive so get a hard case (I favour the Proporta.com aluminium cases) . I use Palms for a lot more than cachemate, the WiFi is a very nice touch and coupled with Bluetooth makes it a very good device for caching. Have you tried the downloadable Google Maps app for it? wow. The screen is a great size for this and such things like Tom Tom. Battery life is great.

Cons: I agree with CR, the screen brightness is neither low enough (for subtle in bed reading) or not bright enough (for direct sun). You can at least fix the former problem with the brightness fix at http://palmpowerups.com/modules.php?name=D...nload&cid=2 , but you'll have to live with upper limit.

It's (dynamic) memory system can be flaky at times, sometimes a noticeable delay happens with cachemate when it has to futz it's memory around when loading in new caches or performing a "nearest cache" search. But it's usually lightning fast, far far faster than my ole T|T at sorting caches.

Great device, but probably a sledgehammer for just Cachemate.

Edited by Maingray

I just got and registered CacheMate to use on my TX, which I bought long before I knew anything of geocaching. I haven't used either yet to locate a cache, but onc eI do I will reply to this thread as to my experience with both the software and the TX itself (speed, easyiness, brightness, etc). Looking forward to my first paperless geocache!