how much $ is in your cache bag?

maugin

after i thought i misplaced my cache bag, i started calculating how much $$ is actually in that bag.

GPS 300.00

Extra battery 40.00

Accessory cable 30.00

Camera 250.00

Extra batteries 10.00

First aid supplies & meds 30.00

Swag 30.00

Walkies 40.00

Batteries 10.00

misc stuff 30.00, pens, paper, etc

WOW! almost $800.00

think i'll keep a better eye on it.

How much is in your bag??

oil_lamp.gif

between GPS, cell phone, MP3 player, camera, and other goods I would guess I may be carring about $500 worth of stuff.

What amazes that so many geocachers will carry several hundred bucks worth of stuff with them when they go geocaching, but the sign their logs TNLN.

What amazes that so many geocachers will carry several hundred bucks worth of stuff with them when they go geocaching, but the sign their logs TNLN.

What amazes me is that so many geocachers will carry several hundred bucks worth of stuff with them when they go geocaching, but then come here and complain about Premium Member caches.

What amazes me is that so many geocachers will carry several hundred bucks worth of stuff with them when they go geocaching, but then come here and complain about Premium Member caches.

I have a GPS-Map60CSX, Palm TX, Digital Camera, Walkie Talkies for deep deep caching...and I'm a Premium Member...Yea Baby!!!

Camelbak: $80

60CSx: $550 (I didn't wait for a sale)

Ique 3600 PDA: $500

8 rechargable batteries: $20

Olympus Stylus 770 SW camera: $400

Spare logbook & pen in baggie: $5

Baggie of handmade swag: $30(?)

50 pack of Goodies Powder for my blown out knee: $10

Total: $1595

Other expenses aren't kept in my pack, so I didn't count them.

I'll say $50 worth (my wife may see this thread).

Garmin 60CSX with 1gb card and topoCanada and metroguide

Sony DSC-H2 with 1gb card and polarizer lens and tripod

That's more than enough right there without adding PDA, Swag, Spare rechargeable batteries, MP3, cell phone, FRS radio's, flashlights and headlamp.

Throw in the 2 quads loaded with storage boxes, winches and other excessories we usually cache with and yeah, $50 bucks is about right.

Magellan 200 GPS ?.00 it was a gift

Flashlight ?.00 Secret Santa

Swag 0.00 Happy Meal toys, Mardi Gras Beads, Rubber duckies from some celebration at work

Swag 10.00 Play money from the Chinese Super Market, Three $2 bills in my wallet and a

George Washington dollar coin for those very special caches. (Micros usually don't

qualify. The $$ is usually for my own caches to reward a FTF but I've been known to

leave something for the owner )

Answer for me on this topic is not much money in my cache bag at all. In fact, I have no cache bag. I wear BDU pants for the pockets and unless I know I need a string with a hook or a gallon of water to extract the cache, If it doesn't fit in those pockets, I'll have to come back for it. :anicute:

"Camelbak: $80"

Saw this listed above, and I've heard a lot of cachers mention this expense in the past as well. I gotta say, I don't get it. Wally World sells their own brand of hydration packs (I believe Ozark Trail brand w/ a Tornado hydration bag) for $30 for the 2 liter size. We bought one 2 years ago, and it's still going strong. No leaks, no drips, no rips, no funky taste. And the bag has plenty of room for stuff in it too, so it also carries all of our caching gear. It's even big enough to cache-in a 50cal. ammo can.

Soooo, can anyone explain the Camelbak thing to me, other than the prestige of having a brand name on your back?

I don't set foot out of my Jeep. off pavement, without my survival vest. I have everything i need to survive for a week ( -10F to 110F the typical temp range for MT) in or on my vest (it's actually a miltary assault vest). Total value, well over $2500.

My survival vest:

GPS unit

Digital camera

K-Bar knife

compass

1 quart canteen with cooking/drinking pot

100 ft rope with two climb rated caribiners

military poncho/tent

fleece sleeping bag

complete trauma/first aid kit with ace wrap

leather gloves

mess kit (fork-knife-spoon)

insect repellantt

bailing wire

pistol (9mm or 45)

Bear spray

SHTF kit- 4" x 6" pouch;

FRAASS Clot-pak bandage

bandaids

handi-wipes

fishing gear

water purification tablets

pro-KI tablets

water drinking tubes

Anti-biotic tablets

emergency mylar blanket

super glue

cortaid

lock picking tools

Q-tips

5-in-1 fingernail clippers

diamond knife sharpener

magnesium fire starter

mirror

I may look like an extremest, but it's not that hard to get lost!

Wow. If I ever run across another geocacher in the woods, forget a conversation... I'm mugging one of you.

I have a $15 back-pack, free GPS (gift, not from mugging), maybe $10 worth of swag, $2.00 worth of water bottles, and sometimes my free digi-cam (another gift...) Even my wallet was a gift, though I did pay $34.00 to the motor vehicle commission to get my driver's license.

Camelbak: $80

60CSx: $550 (I didn't wait for a sale)

Ique 3600 PDA: $500

8 rechargable batteries: $20

Olympus Stylus 770 SW camera: $400

Spare logbook & pen in baggie: $5

Baggie of handmade swag: $30(?)

50 pack of Goodies Powder for my blown out knee: $10

Total: $1595

Other expenses aren't kept in my pack, so I didn't count them.

Hey Clan Riffster! :( I thought you filled your Camelbak with Guinness? :blink:

I, as often as not, go out with my GPS (GPSMAP 60Cx - $300?), my phone and nothing else (or so I thought - I always carry my mini leatherman and a Benchmade 3550 knife with me).

Of course, the GPS has $500 worth of maps on it and an $80 1GB MicroSD card in it.

When I bring my bag ...ohh.

Laptop, camera, hoodie, extra batteries, swag, cables, small emergencies kit, binoculars, phone, a couple more Benchmade knives (balisong and mini-griptillian), trash bags, cache repair kit and a few other things I'm sure I've forgotten.

Total value in the bag ...I dunno, maybe $3000, not including the GPS?

And if you're wondering, yes, that is a heavy bag. Often I will leave my laptop at home if I've printed out the cache descriptions.

Oh and I also used to work at Benchmade, so that's why I have so many of their knives.

I hope this thread doesn't create geo-stalkers. :laughing:

I take laptop, cell, gps and pda for my higher dollar items. Then I have a ton of misc. items like AC converter, cooler (that plugs in), digital camera, digital cam corder...

I need to check make insurance coverage. :grin:

I hope this thread doesn't create geo-stalkers. :grin:

:grin:May 10 by Geomugger (1278 mugged) I had a great day in the park today. The beautiful spring weather makes cachering that much better. This was the first of seven cachers we did today. This one needs some maintainence. We had to whack 'im over the head twice before he went down. T laptop, cell, gps and pda. L badly beaten cacher. Thanks for the Cacher.

:laughing:

Saw this listed above, and I've heard a lot of cachers mention this expense in the past as well. I gotta say, I don't get it. Wally World sells their own brand of hydration packs (I believe Ozark Trail brand w/ a Tornado hydration bag) for $30 for the 2 liter size. We bought one 2 years ago, and it's still going strong. No leaks, no drips, no rips, no funky taste. And the bag has plenty of room for stuff in it too, so it also carries all of our caching gear. It's even big enough to cache-in a 50cal. ammo can.

Soooo, can anyone explain the Camelbak thing to me, other than the prestige of having a brand name on your back?

I have both (and a few others besides) and use them frequently. The biggest difference seems to be the raw strength value is higher in the camelbak. The material seems to be nearly identical, but the stitching and taped seams are better in my camelbak and it's a bit more comfortable. In reality, I use the generic one I picked up at Gander Mountain more often though because it has a better pocket arrangement. Both water cells work perfectly after 2 years of steady use. What I don't understand is the spending $80 though. Don't get me wrong, I'll pay a mint for the right gear, but you can find it on sale if you look. My camel' was listed at about that price and I think I paid $26 through sierra trading post.

I have both (and a few others besides) and use them frequently. The biggest difference seems to be the raw strength value is higher in the camelbak. The material seems to be nearly identical, but the stitching and taped seams are better in my camelbak and it's a bit more comfortable. In reality, I use the generic one I picked up at Gander Mountain more often though because it has a better pocket arrangement. Both water cells work perfectly after 2 years of steady use. What I don't understand is the spending $80 though. Don't get me wrong, I'll pay a mint for the right gear, but you can find it on sale if you look. My camel' was listed at about that price and I think I paid $26 through sierra trading post.

Just purchased a hydration pack from Sams Club. If you have a Sams club near you, be sure to check out these hydro packs. It is a High Sierra for $19.97. You can check on the Sams Club website for availability in your area. Seems very well constructed and has allot of pockets and other cool features for this bargain price. Can't wait to use it for this summer! :grin: High Sierra does have a nice assortment of packs for the budget consumer. :laughing:

Back Pack-$80

GPSr-$170

Knife-$30

Multi tool-$25

Mini Binoculars-$20

Maps & compass-$30

Swag-$30

Rain Jacket-$50

Fleece Jacket-$30

Cliff Bars-mmmmmmmmm

Total-$465

Just purchased a hydration pack from Sams Club. If you have a Sams club near you, be sure to check out these hydro packs. It is a High Sierra for $19.97. You can check on the Sams Club website for availability in your area. Seems very well constructed and has allot of pockets and other cool features for this bargain price. Can't wait to use it for this summer! :o High Sierra does have a nice assortment of packs for the budget consumer. :o

You know, I think the High Sierra is the bag I picked up at Gander. I'll double check, but I'm reasonably certain that's the one. Just always remember to double-check the stitching around the zippers when you pick up any new bag. :o

Forgot to answer the OT! ok, here goes...

Garmin XL12 ($99 on ebay) water proof and tough as a brick!

Nikon Coolpix 2500 (gifted, but they run about $100 or less now since they're an older model)

Emergency gear including 1st Aid kit, whistle, compass, thermal blanket, poncho, etc. ($75)

MSR Rocket stove, cup and fuel ($45)

10-20 shiny new geocoins (???)

on occasion my Olympus E-10 (original MSRP was $2695, but got it ultra cheap used for less than $300)

Swag pack ($26-$65 depending on which one)

"Juice" multitool ($35)

too much to afford to lose, but now that I'm looking at the list... I realize that other than the geocoins, this was all in my pack before anyway - LOL. :o

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I hope this thread doesn't create geo-stalkers. :o

:oMay 10 by Geomugger (1278 mugged) I had a great day in the park today. The beautiful spring weather makes cachering that much better. This was the first of seven cachers we did today. This one needs some maintainence. We had to whack 'im over the head twice before he went down. T laptop, cell, gps and pda. L badly beaten cacher. Thanks for the Cacher.

:o

Uh...nevermind..After reading another thread about a real mugging,I couldn't leave my post here.

Edited by vtmtnman

I hope this thread doesn't create geo-stalkers. :sad:

:sad:May 10 by Geomugger (1278 mugged) I had a great day in the park today. The beautiful spring weather makes cachering that much better. This was the first of seven cachers we did today. This one needs some maintainence. We had to whack 'im over the head twice before he went down. T laptop, cell, gps and pda. L badly beaten cacher. Thanks for the Cacher.

:drama:

Funny post :wub:

but read my not-so-funny post. from today (http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=162977) I'm pretty sure the timing is coincidental, but the cacher who pointed me to this thread was wondering...

Edited by greenbriel

I hope this thread doesn't create geo-stalkers. :sad:

:sad:May 10 by Geomugger (1278 mugged) I had a great day in the park today. The beautiful spring weather makes cachering that much better. This was the first of seven cachers we did today. This one needs some maintainence. We had to whack 'im over the head twice before he went down. T laptop, cell, gps and pda. L badly beaten cacher. Thanks for the Cacher.

:drama:

Uh...nevermind..After reading another thread about a real mugging,I couldn't leave my post here.

That was me - go for it, I have a pretty evil sense of humour, so it's only fair :wub:

I hope this thread doesn't create geo-stalkers. :ph34r:

:DMay 10 by Geomugger (1278 mugged) I had a great day in the park today. The beautiful spring weather makes cachering that much better. This was the first of seven cachers we did today. This one needs some maintainence. We had to whack 'im over the head twice before he went down. T laptop, cell, gps and pda. L badly beaten cacher. Thanks for the Cacher.

:P

That was me - go for it, I have a pretty evil sense of humour, so it's only fair :P

TC made his post long before I saw your thread,so I added to the fun.Then I read your thread...I just couldn't bring myself to leave my post there.TC made a funny,we all had a laugh,we'll just leave it at that.

I hope this thread doesn't create geo-stalkers. :P

:DMay 10 by Geomugger (1278 mugged) I had a great day in the park today. The beautiful spring weather makes cachering that much better. This was the first of seven cachers we did today. This one needs some maintainence. We had to whack 'im over the head twice before he went down. T laptop, cell, gps and pda. L badly beaten cacher. Thanks for the Cacher.

:P

That was me - go for it, I have a pretty evil sense of humour, so it's only fair :)

As long as you keep your sene of humour you'll be fine. :ph34r:

As long as you keep your sene of humour you'll be fine. :ph34r:

Can't tell if you are poking a little fun at my British spelling, or just offering some advice, but either way, Thanks Cap'n!

You seem to have a good sene of humor too ;->

Edited by greenbriel

As long as you keep your sene of humour you'll be fine. :P

Can't tell if you are poking a little fun at my British spelling, or just offering some advice, but either way, Thanks Cap'n!

You seem to have a good sene of humor too ;->

All friendly here, although I see I made a typo of my own, should be "sense", not sene.

I have several British Forum pals, we love to discuss the "proper" way to spell words from time to time. :ph34r:

I'm fairly new but I take the same approach as I do when I go to the field in the military, I take only the essential items, usually a hiking stick, gps, water, and a hat for sun protection. All together I probably have just over $100 bucks in my kit.

This looks like fun... All of this goes in "The Danger Bag" as I call it. I like having one that slings over the shoulder so that I can comfortably dig into it without taking it off.

Satchel - $30

Garmin eTrex Vista Cx - $230

Canon Powershot SD500 DigiCam - $250

Swag - $10

Cellphone - $100

LED Flashlight - $15

Water Bottle - $1 (Leftover Poland Springs)

Crikey, maybe I should just stay home where my stuffs are safe.

Just purchased a hydration pack from Sams Club. If you have a Sams club near you, be sure to check out these hydro packs. It is a High Sierra for $19.97. You can check on the Sams Club website for availability in your area. Seems very well constructed and has allot of pockets and other cool features for this bargain price. Can't wait to use it for this summer! B) High Sierra does have a nice assortment of packs for the budget consumer. B)

You know, I think the High Sierra is the bag I picked up at Gander. I'll double check, but I'm reasonably certain that's the one. Just always remember to double-check the stitching around the zippers when you pick up any new bag. :rolleyes:

Forgot to answer the OT! ok, here goes...

Garmin XL12 ($99 on ebay) water proof and tough as a brick!

Nikon Coolpix 2500 (gifted, but they run about $100 or less now since they're an older model)

Emergency gear including 1st Aid kit, whistle, compass, thermal blanket, poncho, etc. ($75)

MSR Rocket stove, cup and fuel ($45)

10-20 shiny new geocoins (???)

on occasion my Olympus E-10 (original MSRP was $2695, but got it ultra cheap used for less than $300)

Swag pack ($26-$65 depending on which one)

"Juice" multitool ($35)

too much to afford to lose, but now that I'm looking at the list... I realize that other than the geocoins, this was all in my pack before anyway - LOL. :huh:

It was indeed the High Sierra brand :huh:

I'm a recent beginner myself, so my GeoPack isn't completely optimized, yet...

Backpack - Blood, Sweat and Tears... (Well, half a liter of Blood at the local bloodbank)

Multitool - Also a gift from the bloodbank. (I also have heaps of towels and suchlike... )

Emergency rainwear - $2

Synthetic Chamois - $5 for those times the rainwear wasn't enough...

Emergency sleepingbag made of the same stuff as those foil blankets - $40

Dry socks - $4, but really priceless...

GPSr Magellan eXplorist 100 - $150? (Didn't check the exchange rates when I bought it)

Palm Zire 31 - $50 (online auction) with a 1GB SD-card ($25)

Camera - Canon PowerShot A100 - Can't be worth more than $50 now, can it?

Camera - Olympus mju 35-70 zoom - $50 on auction site

Camera - Zenit Horizon 202 - $300 (add another $50 - $100 for postage, Toll and nonsense)

Tripod - $50 (old but useable and weighing in at just over half a kilo, it's indisensable)

8 x 2000mA AA cells - $20 (Things are expensive here in Norway)

Swag - $20 - $50, depending on mood.

1 - 3 'Gatorade' 1/2litre bottles filled with sports-drink - %.50 (that's the recycling value for all three)

If it's cold weather, possibly also a steel thermos (1/2litre) filled with tea... - Priceless...

Reusable pocketheaters - $15 for a pair.

A lot of the caches here in Norway are on very scenic places, so bringing a camera isn't just a good idea, but it also works very well as 'camouflage'. Nobody wonders about a guy with an expensive-looking camera on a tripod who continually moves it about and looks through the viewfinder and mutters to himself...

No geocaching bag here - I travel light, usually by bike if I can... So:

GPSr (used to be an Explorist 400 bit it was recently killed in action, so I am currently using a Foretrex 201)

Camera (ultra-compact Kodak v603)

Camelbak for hydration (usually with a granola bar in its pouch)

Palm Treo 650 cellphone/pda for paperless caching

That's it...

It seems like I travel very light, but it is still expensive for such a small amount of gear:

Foretrex 201: $104

Kodak v603: $250

Camelbak: $35 (a brand name one, "Classic" model - got on sale at Dick's sporting Goods)

Treo 650: $300

---------------------

TOTAL: $689

A bit shocking when I add it all up! :-)

Edited by irchriscdk