2 tadpole questions

Hello,

As you can probable tell by my "tadpole" standing, I am pretty new to this forum.

There seems to be a lot of knowledge and experience in this group , and I hoped you wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

1)is the "detailed basemap" we find in the basic Garmin etrex legend(the blue one) the same as the ones in the more expensive etrex legend c, venture c, vista and vista c?

2)Is there a website where one can compare the Garmin and Magellan basemaps side-by-side by plugging in the same coordinate?

Cheers,

GD

Like military intelligence, detailed basemap is a contradiction in terms!

All mapping GPSr come with a basemap. This includes major roads and such.

Most manufacturers then sell you detailed maps, or at least provide them on a separate CD.

I have had 7 GPS from 3 manufacturers and haven't noticed much difference in the base maps.

There is a huge difference in the detailed maps, however, even among the various map packages from the same manufacturer.

That begs the question of which detailed maps are best, a real can of worms! All of them are okay for basic street navigation (though none are up-to-date or accurate). If you want good detailed terrain maps try National Geographic TOPO!, Maptech Terrain Navigator, or DeLorme TopoQuad 3D.

On the comparison question, a Google search finds a few head-to-head map comparisons, but I didn't find one between MapSource and MapSend (Magellan (DeLorme) and Garmin)... if you find one I would like to read it!

OOPS,

before this goes any further, I should specify that I am looking for info on the pre-loaded "detailed basemap" already on the Garmins...not the maps one has to buy separately.

Basically will spending "X" dollars more on a higher level Etrex get me a better pre-loaded basemap.

cheers,

GD

OOPS,

before this goes any further, I should specify that I am looking for info on the pre-loaded "detailed basemap" already on the Garmins...not the maps one has to buy separately.

Basically will spending "X" dollars more on a higher level Etrex get me a better pre-loaded basemap.

cheers,

GD

The basemaps are all pretty useless, even driving down the interstate they will show you driving 50 feet off the side and they frequently miss bends in the road. If you want a decent map you have to load your own.

OOPS,

cheers,

GD

Sorry, I wasn't sure what you meant. Cpt.Blackbeard is right, those basic maps are just to give you a very general idea of where you are. The streets are just plotted as a vague generalization and nothing more. I think it's just there to make you want something better.

1)is the "detailed basemap" we find in the basic Garmin etrex legend(the blue one) the same as the ones in the more expensive etrex legend c, venture c, vista and vista c?

IMHO you're starting with the wrong question. This is like asking "which ATV has more cargo capacity?" without stating what you intend to transport. If your intention is to go on a wilderness camping trip, the question makes sense, but if your intention is to transport home appliances, it's kinda pointless. Yeah, I've seen pictures of people transporting a refrigerator on a moped somewhere in India ... but around here you're going to get pulled over if you try that stunt.

Many people here have years of experience using all sorts of GPS receivers on and off the road. You will get much better advice if you explain what you intend to do, than if you ask about specific details, that seem to be important from a beginners point of view.

Jan

IMHO you're starting with the wrong question....

... You will get much better advice if you explain what you intend to do, than if you ask about specific details, that seem to be important from a beginners point of view.

Jan

Hi Jan,

that seems fair enough.

I'm a hiking/canoing map and compass guy, in 2001 curiosity got the better of me and I purchased a base model yellow etrex with no basemap, just for kicks.

I've found it to be a very good tool and use it in conjunction with a good topo map. It allowed me to put my compass away (although I still carry it).

Now I am wondering if the pre-loaded(free) basemaps that Garmin mentions in there product comparison charts is the same in all etrex models, or if higher end model have better ones.

See Garmin chart:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...pareProduct=326

Ultimately I'm wondering the basic basemaps are good enough to allow me to put the topo map away. Do they show creeks, the accurate shape of a shoreline, elevation gradients to judge the steepness of a hill, etc...basically what one gets from a good topo map.

Answers so far seem to indicate that they are way inaccurate and too "cartoony" to be useful.

Cheers,

GD

Indeed, the basemaps are totally useless for what you want.

I am a hiker map+compass guy too.

A single tile of the TOPO maps that I roll myself currently is about 2-4 MB in size. That contains 30x30 seconds of 20 ft elevation contours plus hydrography information (no roads or trails ... someday I might add the Tiger data to them). The same tiles from City Select are 1.5-2.5 MB, containing roads plus routing information. There are about 5200 (fivethousandtwohundred) of those tiles for the entire US. You can find my TOPO maps for free on MapCenter.

The entire mapset of City Select (I didn't upgrade to CN yet) is about 1.6 GB. That still doesn't contain trails and the hydrography information on them is useless for hiking purposes (which is why I make TOPO maps). Now imagine how usefull the 8-24 MB basemap could be.

And those two maps together can't even replace a good paper map. That is because the tiny screen of a GPSr will never give you the big picture. They will however help you to keep your paper maps in good shape, because you will only need to use the paper map to plan you route, for which you need the terrain overview. Once you have plotted your trail, the small display of the GPSr will be quite enough to see where you are and where you want to be.

If you upgrade to a better GPSr but don't load it with any maps, you will not have much more than what you have now ... except for the color display.

Jan

Edited by JanniCash

Ok, so basically everyone agrees that it is essentially pointless to get a gps with a basemap and room to download maps if one is not prepared to buy digital maps for it.

Is this correct?

also:

A single tile of the TOPO maps that I roll myself currently is about 2-4 MB in size. That contains 30x30 seconds of 20 ft elevation contours plus hydrography information (no roads or trails ... someday I might add the Tiger data to them). The same tiles from City Select are 1.5-2.5 MB, containing roads plus routing information. There are about 5200 (fivethousandtwohundred) of those tiles for the entire US. You can find my TOPO maps for free on MapCenter.

Jan

Jan,

am I getting this right, you can make your own maps?

Just wondering,

GD

goggled-duck:

Another point: most units (all?) will only have the "detailed basemap" of the country (or countries) they are sold in / for. The rest of the world will be blank or maybe show only major freeways (or equivalent) only. Watch out if you travel international. Magellan sells a separate product "Worldwide Basemaps", which I found very useful in Japan and Europe (on my somewhat dated but still loved Magellan Meridian).