Additional Clues Posted in Logs

Sierra Rat

:) There is a new cacher in my area that likes to post additional clues in their logs to caches they find. For example, there is a cache in the area that is hidden next to a stone wall. It took me a lot of poking around before I discovered that the cache was in a rock type hide-a-key container next to the wall and not in the wall itself. When this cacher found the cache they posted, "I threw the cache out of the way because I thought it was in the hole not the rock itself". In fairness, the post was encrypted, but I still don't think cachers should provide additional hints to other peoples' caches.

In one of my caches that is located near a self-serve gas station, this cacher logged, "I've always been a fan of superman." This too was encrypted. Well, this narrows the search down to the phone booth. I have since deleted this post and send an e-mail to the cacher explaining the reason for the deletion and told them to re-log the find without any clues.

I'm curious as to others' opinions on cachers providing additional clues in their logs.

I have, from time to time, asked cachers to change their log when I thought it might ruin the cache for future cachers. No one has ever refused. It wouldn't bother me any to delete such an entry if I felt it compromised the hunt for future cachers, but it has never been necessary.

Edited by Snake & Rooster
:):laughing: How do you think we find half our caches? What would I do if I couldn't look at past logs? Just kidding. I guess I would say....it's your cache; if a log bothers you or if you feel it reveals too much...edit it out or ask the person who wrote the log to. You have that "right". I've been asked to change my log before and I had no problem at all.
:) There is a new cacher in my area that likes to post additional clues in their logs to caches they find. For example, there is a cache in the area that is hidden next to a stone wall. It took me a lot of poking around before I discovered that the cache was in a rock type hide-a-key container next to the wall and not in the wall itself. When this cacher found the cache they posted, "I threw the cache out of the way because I thought it was in the hole not the rock itself". In fairness, the post was encrypted, but I still don't think cachers should provide additional hints to other peoples' caches.

In one of my caches that is located near a self-serve gas station, this cacher logged, "I've always been a fan of superman." This too was encrypted. Well, this narrows the search down to the phone booth. I have since deleted this post and send an e-mail to the cacher explaining the reason for the deletion and told them to re-log the find without any clues.

I'm curious as to others' opinions on cachers providing additional clues in their logs.

There have been many times I've referred to previous logs for hints when I'm having problems finding a cache. Now I wouldn't want anyone to just give the exact location of one of my caches or one that I'm looking for; that would take the fun out of it.

I think you have the right to ask someone to change their log, but I would ask them to do that first before just deleting it. Let them do the right thing. If they don't want to, then delete the log. :laughing:

A Geocacher also has to be carefull when reading the logs if they don't want any hints. There is the warning above the previous logs: "Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links."

If the owner of the cache doesn't want any hints published in the logs, it should be so stated in the description. There is a cache in Yuma that states, no hints will be given and any hints logged will be deleted.

When anyone reads the logs, they are taking a chance that a 'hint' might be posted - There is already a standard warning about spoilers. If someone encrypts the spoiler hint, that's even better. You can read about their adventure, and not get the direct hint.

In many cities, if someone is unable to locate a cache, phone calls are made. If the first person doesn't know, they'll normally make calls to find an answer and get back with the original caller. Hints are also given at events, CITO's, and over email.

Some cachers - don't even look first, before they go for the encrypted additional hint. :anicute:

It's impossible to police cachers giving out hints. However if it's your cache, and you post the warning, you can do anything you want to.

Happy Trails

dave

Thanks to all who replied to my question. I have to agree with all of you about if I don't want additional clues listed in the logs I should say so up front in the cache description and if I have a problem with a log, I should let the logger know first. I guess I was just in a pithy mood on the morning of my post because we had another snow fall that morning, which meant 1) I had to shovel the driveway and 2) no caching. Again, thanks for the replies and keeping me a little more rational.

Thanks to all who replied to my question. I have to agree with all of you about if I don't want additional clues listed in the logs I should say so up front in the cache description and if I have a problem with a log, I should let the logger know first. I guess I was just in a pithy mood on the morning of my post because we had another snow fall that morning, which meant 1) I had to shovel the driveway and 2) no caching. Again, thanks for the replies and keeping me a little more rational.

Here's a suggestion for you. Hide up to fifty or more caches and then you will stop paying attention to issues like this. :laughing: