mapsource topo can't download

lories

Hi, I am ready to call Garmin support tomorrow, but wondering if anyone has problems.

I have gone through the tutorial and chosen and saved my maps, but when I go to download them to the GPS (I have a garmin venture cx) it only shows serial port. I click the tab for usb, and it says none recognized.

I have been able to download waypoints using EasyGPS, but can't seem to get the topo and maps in there. drivers from garmin are downloaded.

Has anyone had this problem and identified a fix for it yet please? thanks much.

I have not found one cache yet, so thinking the topo would really help. :)

Edited by lories

Need more information. You downloaded your maps? Did you have the Mapsource install CD? If so, your Mapsource will only know the location as your CD drive that you installed the maps. This means that your registry is pointing to the CD drive as the location of your topo. This can easily be changed by saving your maps from the CD to your hard drive and re-directing your registry to that location.

The other issue you state only recognizes your seriel port. If you have installed your maps from the mapsource CD, and its not a registry issue, then it may be you don't have the necessary USB driver for the transfer of your topo to your unit. If you have an older Mapsource installation CD, then you will need to download the necessary driver from Garmin. This is especially true if you are using Vista. Otherwise, it sounds like if you had the serial cabel, it wouldn't be a problem.

Please elaborate.

I would check (and try as required) the following things:

#1. Make sure your receiver device is not in mass storage mode.

#2. Make sure you are using the latest USB drivers (download from garmin).

#3. Make sure you are using the latest mapsource (download from garmin).

#4. Make sure you are running the latest device firmware (download from garmin).

Hope it helps...