What's the longest distance cache?

I was going to start a thread on a similar subject. We first got a GPSr for fell walking and still the majority of our enjoyment comes from walking the fells and moors around our caravan in Skipton. We don't charge around seeing how many 'drive by' caches we can bag in a day. We like to plan our walks to take in one or two caches, but don't really take the most direct route from the car.

An average day would be 7 - 9 miles with one or two caches. It does not push your total score up very quickly, but sure is a good way to spend the day.

We like to plan our walks to take in one or two caches, but don't really take the most direct route from the car.

Exactly what we do. We figure if a cache was put there, probably worth visiting.

On Saturday we found a new dogwalk route only 2 miles from home. :laughing:

We took the dog for a walk there Sunday; without the GPS, and got lost.

Now if I had the GPS. :rolleyes:

OK, this isn't quite on-topic because it's not a cache you walk, and it's not in the UK, but

GCJ3ME "MS-Special 716 km" is a multi where the cache is 716km from the first point. That's about 445 miles.

There is a two stage multi with the first stage in West Yorkshire and the final on the south coast, around 270miles by car. Surprisingly it has seven find logs in its two year life.

When I hopefully do WHW Day 7 (The Devil's Staircase) next month, I would have walked about 77 miles in about 24 - 36 hours. I would have bagged 4 other caches along the route as well though. Does this count?

I assume the 77 miles is for the series of caches rather than for one cache (whilst bagging others along the way).

It's not quite the same, but I wish you the best of luck. I guess the 24-36 hrs is not consecutive? I have to ask as there are some real nutters out there. :laughing:

When I hopefully do WHW Day 7 (The Devil's Staircase) next month, I would have walked about 77 miles in about 24 - 36 hours. I would have bagged 4 other caches along the route as well though. Does this count?

I assume the 77 miles is for the series of caches rather than for one cache (whilst bagging others along the way).

It's not quite the same, but I wish you the best of luck. I guess the 24-36 hrs is not consecutive? I have to ask as there are some real nutters out there. :rolleyes:

There is more on the walk but I have already found them. It is actually a series that covers 95 miles on the West Highland Way. The above cache will be the last cache on the route that I haven't done yet. I am actually walking the whole 95 miles in a 48 hour time frame. I will hopefully be getting my head down at least twice.

For more information on caches along the route, I have a route and Flyfishermanbob has a bookmark list made up for it.

While I'm up in Scotland in June, I'll be looking at placing one on the Knoydart peninsula. It's a long walk from anywhere! Just need to find a local to maintain it.
Is this in line with you reduction in caches owned plan mentioned in the other thread ? :laughing:;)
As I won't personally be maintaining it, yes! (Ha! Got you! ;))

There is, or was, a 10-mile walk cache in Bedfordshire, which some people almost got drowned doing in the floods. May be called the Beds 10-miler? Or similar.

Not walking, but my St Kilda event is a 90-mile+ round boat trip to reach. ;)

I was going to start a thread on a similar subject. We first got a GPSr for fell walking and still the majority of our enjoyment comes from walking the fells and moors around our caravan in Skipton. We don't charge around seeing how many 'drive by' caches we can bag in a day. We like to plan our walks to take in one or two caches, but don't really take the most direct route from the car.

An average day would be 7 - 9 miles with one or two caches. It does not push your total score up very quickly, but sure is a good way to spend the day.

Slightly off topic but...

It would be worth checking out the caches set by Dales Diva. They have been set by the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority and the ones I have seen have been a 7ish mile walk with a number of caches along the way. There is a group around Hawes, Malham and Buckden.

Two_tykes has also got an interesting tour around the lead mining area near Grassington, and a tour of Keighley Moor which has all the scenery of the Dales, but none of the crowds.

Edited by EagleOwl

This one, which starts in Dorset, looks as if there are stages on other continents?! Not sure, maybe I've got that wrong though. You can enlist the help of other cachers though, phew!

Edit: Ooh, the paranoia's setting in, perhaps it's all a bluff, and there are just two multis, hidden near each other. I may have to go and investigate...

Edited by ryme-intrinseca