GPS Unit as Gift - Buy in UK or USA?

chizu

I am looking at getting a GPS as a gift, but can't really afford a huge amount of money. As a family member is coming over from the USA in the next month and the £to$ is so good at the moment I thought this would be a good way to buy.

I am looking at a Garmin Extrex Legend as this is the unit I use and am most familiar with, however the US unit comes with US rather than Europe base mapping. Anyway around this and what are the opinions about how important this is? Are there any reasonably priced european maps I could get to solve the problem or would it negate the difference in buying in the States?

I know the base mapping is not hugely important to me, but it is for a newbie and they might think it odd if it didn't have the European data.

I am looking at getting a GPS as a gift, but can't really afford a huge amount of money. As a family member is coming over from the USA in the next month and the £to$ is so good at the moment I thought this would be a good way to buy.

I am looking at a Garmin Extrex Legend as this is the unit I use and am most familiar with, however the US unit comes with US rather than Europe base mapping. Anyway around this and what are the opinions about how important this is? Are there any reasonably priced european maps I could get to solve the problem or would it negate the difference in buying in the States?

I know the base mapping is not hugely important to me, but it is for a newbie and they might think it odd if it didn't have the European data.

Take advantage of the exchange rate and get a good deal (help support our American peso!).

As quigly points out, the base map is inherently useless, you will want to get additional maps anyway. Use the money you save on a good set of navigation-ready European maps.