explorist 500

tallyho22

hi.. i've got an explorist 500... what specifically do you need to know? Are you getting your computer to recognize it when you connect it?

Thanks for responding. my gps recognizes my computer. i can download gsak to my gpsr. when i try to brings it up on the screen no waypoints or caches show up any Ideas to try.

Byron

hi.. i've got an explorist 500... what specifically do you need to know? Are you getting your computer to recognize it when you connect it?

Thanks for responding. my gps recognizes my computer. i can download gsak to my gpsr. when i try to brings it up on the screen no waypoints or caches show up any Ideas to try.

Byron

I use the "magellan geocache manager" that the gps came with. Did you try that program? I'm not familiar with gsak. The MGM is a simple program once its installed and is insync with your gps... maybe you should try that.

The explorist can hold multiple files in either it's internal memory or on an SD card. After loading a file you must then activate the file you wish to use.

From any screen press the "Menu" button

Scroll down to "Preferences"

Scroll down to "Active Setup"

Scroll down to the "Geocaches" field

Click the "Enter" button

a second screen will pull up

Click on "Select File"

This is where you need to know where you sent the file

Browse to the location you've stored the file

Click on the file you wish to use for the day

Press Navigation button to return to which ever screen you wish to view.

This is the basic procedure to activate your detail maps and other options.

Hope this answers your question.

The explorist can hold multiple files in either it's internal memory or on an SD card. After loading a file you must then activate the file you wish to use.

From any screen press the "Menu" button

Scroll down to "Preferences"

Scroll down to "Active Setup"

Scroll down to the "Geocaches" field

Click the "Enter" button

a second screen will pull up

Click on "Select File"

This is where you need to know where you sent the file

Browse to the location you've stored the file

Click on the file you wish to use for the day

Press Navigation button to return to which ever screen you wish to view.

This is the basic procedure to activate your detail maps and other options.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing those steps and when I activate a file by going to the nav mode no cache ions show up on the map. It might be something in the create file or another window. any sugestions.

Once again thanks for responding to my problem.

Tallyho

Tell us how you are sending the file to the gps so we can trouble shoot.

You said you are using GSAK. Do you insure you are sending fewer than 200 caches in a file?

Filter your GSAK database down to fewer than 200 caches.

Then go to "file" "export" "Magellan explorist and SD card ..."

Insure the block "Required format" is selected to read "Explorist Geocaches"

Note where you are exporting the file to in the "file to create" block

If that doesn't solve it. Write the steps down you are using and we will try to trouble shoot.

Tell us how you are sending the file to the gps so we can trouble shoot.

You said you are using GSAK. Do you insure you are sending fewer than 200 caches in a file?

Filter your GSAK database down to fewer than 200 caches.

Then go to "file" "export" "Magellan explorist and SD card ..."

Insure the block "Required format" is selected to read "Explorist Geocaches"

Note where you are exporting the file to in the "file to create" block

If that doesn't solve it. Write the steps down you are using and we will try to trouble shoot.

SgtSue,

Thanks for staying with me. 172 waypoints ok on required format, file to create:E:\geocaches\manville.gs

Select from most recent: file=manville.gs path=\geocaches

geo id % smart

geo name %nameBy(%dif%ter) up top of page child waypoints not checked When I go to the nav mode it looks like a track route appears. do you think it could be my map set up.

thanks for your time.

tallyho22

I wouldn't think it's the map set up, but in case yours came a little different of maybe you played with it some - no not you the kids, yea blame it on the kids if it's set wrong.

Try Background Maps - Basemaps

Detail maps - off

Then go to Menu - Map Setup and try

Detail - Medium

While at the Map Set up click on the Display tab and scroll down to insure "geocache Pts is checked.

Let me know how that does

edit to add - after you get it to display your geocache icons then you can turn put some detail maps on and set detail to whatever level works for you. I believe when there is a problem to go to the base then start from there.

Edited by SgtSue

I wouldn't think it's the map set up, but in case yours came a little different of maybe you played with it some - no not you the kids, yea blame it on the kids if it's set wrong.

Detail maps - off

Detail - Medium

While at the Map Set up click on the Display tab and scroll down to insure "geocache Pts is checked.

edit to add - after you get it to display your geocache icons then you can turn put some detail maps on and set detail to whatever level works for you. I believe when there is a problem to go to the base then start from there.

Detail maps - off

Detail - Medium

SgtSue,

Negative on the last attemp. Everything was in the right mode on map setup. This is sure puzzling me.

I have five files on the sd card and not one shows any icons on the nav mode. I think it might be in the create window or the geocach window. I am confused on this one.

tallyho22

Sure it is something very simple we are missing. Hey mods can you move this to the "GPS Units and Software" section so someone smarter than I can have a stab at this? Also check with your local groups, I see where there is an event in Providence on May 3 someone there may be able to give some hands on help. I'll think about it, but I can't figure what you are doing wrong.

thanks for the try. my daughter came in from work and said tha I am on the computer alot with my gps.

Thanks again for your time,

Tallyho22

I had a problem with my geocache icons not showing after deleting found caches

I ended up reinstalling ver 2.03. Any more and I just install a new file and delete the complete old file when I want to update a file.

Vagabond,

it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cleared all my files on my gps and reinstalled the disk it camed with. I appreciate

the info.

Byron

Sure it is something very simple we are missing. Hey mods can you move this to the "GPS Units and Software" section so someone smarter than I can have a stab at this? Also check with your local groups, I see where there is an event in Providence on May 3 someone there may be able to give some hands on help. I'll think about it, but I can't figure what you are doing wrong.

SgtSue,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Vagabond info on reinstalling program worked. Now I am off

to find more geos. Trying to get my wife more interested. Those that are on the bike path are

more her type because you do not have to track into the wooods.

thanks once again for staying with me with your suggestions. and thats for serving in the military.

tallyho22

I upgraded to the european firmware 5 5.27 shortly after it came out and really love it the reciever seems to be more sensitive then it was before, and it seems to pick up the sats faster and with a stronger signal.

Plus with the new pages it reminds me more of my old maggy gold :laughing: