Geocaching software for Linux?

I actually wrote something because I couldn't find anything else that would do what I want... I wrote it on Linux, but it works on Windows and MacOSX too...

http://www.geoqo.org/

It's a full-blown database with a lot of extensibility to do just about anything you want.

Cool beans! :) Is it available in a Slackware tarball, or will I have to convert DEB/RPM files, or compile from source?

I actually wrote something because I couldn't find anything else that would do what I want... I wrote it on Linux, but it works on Windows and MacOSX too...

It's a full-blown database with a lot of extensibility to do just about anything you want.

Cool beans! :) Is it available in a Slackware tarball, or will I have to convert DEB/RPM files, or compile from source?

Rather than expecting folks to do it for you, you 'could' take 30 seconds and look at the link above, which answers your question.

Rather than expecting folks to do it for you, you 'could' take 30 seconds and look at the link above, which answers your question.

Wow. Snippy reply.

Incidentally, I have looked at the link, and the installation help (not the "link above," but TWO links further on) mentions a binary, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, and openSuSe... no Slackware and no source. Just because a tarball isn't mentioned doesn't mean it isn't (and/or won't) be available. So, no, the "link above" does not answer my question. Instead of posting a nasty response, why not guess that I was making a pitch for a Slackware tarball, and extend a little courtesy?

The only Linux software that I would require is the communicator plugin for firefox.

Actually, the garmin plugin by Andreas Diesner works fine for me:

http://www.andreas-d...ku.php?id=start

PS: openSUSE version: http://download.open...e:/garminplugin

SuSE user here too! Thanks for this link! Here is some support for it that it needs: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Application:/Geo/openSUSE_12.1/

Hang on there just a minute. I am about to convert my desktop to Linux, are you all saying I can't do my geocaching.com just like always?? What part of geocaching.com can I NOT do on Linux. Help! I use GSAK some, just learning to use it, I guess that won't work either? Can I do PQ's, and .gpx drag and drop??

Have a look at virtualization. I use VMware Player* (free download) to run Windows XP as a virtual machine (VM) inside my Linux setup. In that VM I run GSAK and MapSource, which I consider essential and which only run on Windows. VMware VMs run flawlessly.

Everything else (surfing, etc.), I do on the Linux host.

VMware Converter may be able to convert your existing Windows installation into a VM (I haven't tried this), which would essentially let you keep using your licensed Windows copy even though it's no longer running directly on the hardware.

* There are others.

Hang on there just a minute. I am about to convert my desktop to Linux, are you all saying I can't do my geocaching.com just like always?? What part of geocaching.com can I NOT do on Linux. Help! I use GSAK some, just learning to use it, I guess that won't work either? Can I do PQ's, and .gpx drag and drop??

Generally, you can do everything that you did before, with the exception of running Windows programs, which obviously includes GSAK. For virtually all general purpose tasks, such web browsing, managing files, zipping and unzipping them (which is all that's required for doing PQs), the system includes everything you need.

There's two ways of running native Windows programs, WINE and virtualization. I never had much luck with WINE, so I use VirtualBox as a VM if I need to run windows.

Converting your desktop is a big deal. You should look at the apps you use currently and whether you can do the same things on Linux or not (and if so, what workarounds you need to do). Even though I've been running Linux both personally and professionally for almost 20 years now (really - April'92) there are many many things I can't do under it. The apps just all aren't there.

Virtualizing works great but you might want to think about multi-booting as a cheaper alternative.

For geocaching, GSAK is a much have in my opinion. I multiboot my Macbook to Win7 via Bootcamp, after previously using VMware Fusion and Parallels as virtualization solutions. Linux virtualization works great as well, although products are pricier in general.

Depending on how hardcore you are re: caching and hiking, you're probably going to find that you need to run Windows for GSAK and mapping software. That stuff just doesn't exist other than under Windows. Unfortunately the app developers aren't porting desktop stuff to Linux for this kind of stuff.

Yes, you can drag and drop your PQ and .gpx files in Linux. The ONLY thing I use Windoze for is to update the GPSr firmware. And I wouldn't even need it for that if Garmin would bother to make their browser plugin compatible with Linux browsers like Firefox and Chrome (how hard can THAT be?).

I've run Linux as a desktop OS exclusively since 1997. There's plenty of alternatives to the mainstream Windows apps available. If you absolutely, positively, simply MUST run a Windows-only app, it's often possible to accomplish that with WINE or VMWare/VirtualBox.