He logged the same cache twice.

I have a cache in town that I was forced to move because it was being left out in the open. Here's the cache.

Cub's Cache

A fairly new cacher has logged a "Found It" twice now. Once on the old location, and once on the new.

I'm going to email him and ask him to change one of the logs. Here's the email I'm going to send.

--------

Thank you for taking an interest in caching. It's great to see folk start to geocache more here in the valley. I noticed that you recently logged a "Found It" log on the Cub's Cache. This is the second time you have logged this cache. Could you please change one of your logs to a "Note". Even though the cache is in a different location it still has the same GC# and is still the same cache. It is not considered proper to log more than one find on one cache. Thank you and,

Happy Caching.

--------

Is this the best way to handle this? What would you do?

How far did you move it? If you moved the cache a considerable distance and the hide is substantially changed, why not archive the old location and submit the new one as a new cache listing? That way he, and everyone else who has logged the old hide before, can log it again on the new cache page.

I have a cache that I ended up having to relocate almost 0.2 miles a while back. Since the theme of the cache was far more important to me than the actual (easy) hide, I left it as the same listing with new coords just like you did – but in my case I actually invited folks to come by and log it a second time if they wanted to.

If your modification was only minor, on the other hand, then your solution sounds fair to me.

Either way it's a judgment call, and ... you're the judge!

Edited by KBI

Seems easy enough.

I had one cacher find a cache of mine and they left a TB - yea go them. Well about 2 weeks went by and they found the same cache of mine again to get the TB they left. I checked their profile and saw that they were new and had only a few finds so I sent them a note explaning my feelings (I thought it was a nice, happy, polite email) and asked them to change their second find to a note. The nice :( email that followed suprised me - I got the impression that I was taking their first born from them.

It is your cache and your listing do as you see fit B)

How far did you move it? If you moved the cache a considerable distance and the hide is substantially changed, why not archive the old location and submit the new one as a new cache listing? That way he, and everyone else who has logged the old hide before, can log it again on the new cache page.

I have a cache that I ended up having to relocate almost 0.2 miles a while back. Since the theme of the cache was far more important to me than the actual (easy) hide, I left it as the same listing with new coords just like you did – but in my case I actually invited folks to come by and log it a second time if they wanted to.

If your modification was only minor, on the other hand, then your solution sounds fair to me.

Either way it's a judgment call, and ... you're the judge!

It's your cache, and you're the judge, but I think the practice of "allowing" a 2nd find on a moved cache is more common and widespread than you think. In my area, it even dates back to some of the real old school old-timers from 2001 who invite 2nd finds on moved caches. And I've even seem some crazy stuff re-appear with the same GC number, like a single traditional that was re-born as a 4 leg multi, a three leg multi that became a four leg multi with only one of the 4 legs the same. If you look at my profile, and see I have three or four "non-unique" finds in my itsnotaboutthenumbers.com stats, that's where it came from.

But it sounds like your cache wasn't moved to far, it's yours, and you do whatever you feel is right.

If it wasn't moved very far, it is the same cache, IMHO.

I have a second find on one cache . . . but it was moved more than a mile away from where I found it. I wouldn't have known about it, but my caching partner had it in her GPSr.

It was a completely new hunt, so I logged a second find.

If I moved a cache very far, I would Archive the original one and create a new cache.

Hi All! I am a big-time newbie myself (As evidenced by my number of finds), and I prolly would have made the same mistake the other newbie did, so I can see how the mistake could happen. If I had received your email, I would have understood (May not have been happy about losing a precious "Found It"), but I would have changed it.

You have to remember, us Newbies cherish these first finds like they are our children... well ok, maybe not THAT much... :-P

I don't see anything wrong with your email, and I would have changed it if it had been me.

I have a cache in town that I was forced to move because it was being left out in the open. Here's the cache.

Cub's Cache

A fairly new cacher has logged a "Found It" twice now. Once on the old location, and once on the new.

I'm going to email him and ask him to change one of the logs. Here's the email I'm going to send.

--------

Thank you for taking an interest in caching. It's great to see folk start to geocache more here in the valley. I noticed that you recently logged a "Found It" log on the Cub's Cache. This is the second time you have logged this cache. Could you please change one of your logs to a "Note". Even though the cache is in a different location it still has the same GC# and is still the same cache. It is not considered proper to log more than one find on one cache. Thank you and,

Happy Caching.

--------

Is this the best way to handle this? What would you do?

That's a fair way to handle it.

what's the problem?

if he went to find the cache after it was moved, and thinks it's worth a second log, what exactly is the harm? Logging more than once on a cache is not prohibited by the website.

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with creating conflict where none needs to exist. Leave both logs and everyone is happy. Start a fight with this guy, and one or both of you is going to be upset. all for what? who benefits by starting this into a conflict?

The last CITO event I went to, some people were logging it 10+ times for the different temp caches we found. I found about that many myself, but I logged the event once, I was either the only, or one of very few, people to do that, but that's just how I choose to play this game... probably why I have 99 finds after so many months while others get that in one day.

I'd ask that you let it go, and don't cause problems where none need to exist... there are enough problems and unhappy people around already, we don't need more created over a silly game with no real rules just because you want to play one way, and someone else wants to play another way.

Well, last fall I moved a cache of mine, GCWJAQ, about 200 feet because the original location was too easily muggled.

Accordingly, I also changed the clue.

Since the location is new, and therefore a new challenge to find, I posted right in my maintenance note that I welcome any past finders to search again and post another "Found It" log if they would like.

So far, nobody has logged it twice, but it's fine with me if they do.

This is a recreational game, not the Olympic tryouts.

I'm not gonna get my undies in a bunch worrying about how others play the game.

If I saw two found it logs on a cache that hadn't changed, I'd follow up.

But since your cache was in a new hiding place, I don't see the problem with someone finding it anew.

$.02, ~k

Well it was moved 497 feet. I guess whether its a new hunt depends on the terrain. If that 497 feet was in the middle of a Nebraska prarie or along a beach then it's lilkely pretty much the same cache. In other areas it could be an entirely different experience, in which case I would allow second logs, or better yet, archive the old and submit a new one.

I have had to move a few caches for various logistical reasons, but without having to archive the cache. What I do is to post a bold note in the cache description to call attention to the change in coords and another note inviting anyone who has already found the cache to "find it again for the first time".

It's quite common for folks to re-find a cache that's been moved.

It's the same container, but the hide is in fact different.

Moving it 50' I can understand, but moving it 500'? I'd have archived the old and created a new listing for it.

I have been invited to find and log a number of moved caches.

Plus, Why not be generous and flexible instead of stingy and rigid?

Thanks folks.

Having heard what you all have said; I have decided that it was moved far enough to qualify as a new find. The reason it was not archived and a new cache hidden was that it is my cub's (kids) cache. Thanks again for your help.

****Mods may close thread or leave open as they see fit. I got my answer.****

We had to move an easy find after it was destroyed by a cave troll, it is now a hard find deeper in the woods and we would welcome the first finders to find and log again. Good advice to state that in a log. I think I am even going to put a note in the cache description since the original log book was lost and it would be nice to have them sign the new log.

It's quite common for folks to re-find a cache that's been moved.

It's the same container, but the hide is in fact different.

Moving it 50' I can understand, but moving it 500'? I'd have archived the old and created a new listing for it.

I have been invited to find and log a number of moved caches.

Plus, Why not be generous and flexible instead of stingy and rigid?

I agree with the above. This is just a game, its for fun. Why worry about who logs a cache. IT DOES NOT MATTER! I place caches with my kids because it is a way for us to do our part and help other people have some fun. If someone wants to refind a cache that has been moved - great. I like it when people log my caches.

The one group of caches I do avoid are ones where one has to e-mail the owner to get permission to log, or where the owner threatens to delete logs. Way too hard core for me.

I archived a cache that became missing.A few months later I put a differant cache near the same spot.This one has been in place since last fall.A local cacher logged the new cache a couple weeks ago and while he was at it he logged the archived cache as well.What should I have done.I did nothing.He must have had the old cache loaded into his GPS and didnt know it was archived.Maybe I should delete his find on the old one but if he wants to log an archived cache I guess thats how he wants to play.

Maybe I should delete his find on the old one but if he wants to log an archived cache I guess thats how he wants to play.

I would ask them to delete the find on the archived cache. If they have more than about 50 finds (meaning that they are now experienced geocachers), and, if they ignored my request, then I would delete that find.

I really don't like the "I play the game my way" approach. It is clear enough that when there is no container in place a Found It log is inappropriate.

I have a second find on one cache . . . but it was moved more than a mile away from where I found it. I wouldn't have known about it, but my caching partner had it in her GPSr.

I agree with this and, in the past, have allowed people to log two finds when I made a substantial change. And as BD said, this is not a good item to get into a hardline headbutting over.

I don't believe we can move caches very far anymore without volunteer reviewer agreement and that should reduce this condition substantially.

I archived a cache that became missing.A few months later I put a differant cache near the same spot.This one has been in place since last fall.A local cacher logged the new cache a couple weeks ago and while he was at it he logged the archived cache as well.What should I have done.I did nothing.He must have had the old cache loaded into his GPS and didnt know it was archived.Maybe I should delete his find on the old one but if he wants to log an archived cache I guess thats how he wants to play.

Bit of a different issue here.

Maybe the archived cache is in fact still in place and he found both? I have done that... I have found several archived caches still in place.

One of my archived caches is still in place, I haven't been to pick it up (it's on my property) but was found and logged recently. Kewl, archived or not, he found the cache, good log.

I suppose I would email him and ask, maybe he found the archived cache a while back and is just logging it now.

If the archived cache is no longer there and he can't tell you about finding it then logging it is a complete lie and I would delete the log without qualm!

If it's archived, the cache is removed, and he can't describe the container and location - delete!

I agree with this and, in the past, have allowed people to log two finds when I made a substantial change. And as BD said, this is not a good item to get into a hardline headbutting over.

I don't believe we can move caches very far anymore without volunteer reviewer agreement and that should reduce this condition substantially.

I didn't know that the cache had been moved that far from the old one when I commented above. But I was wondering why someone would continue to watch his found caches instead of just finding new ones. I guess if there are only a handful of caches in the area it would make sense. At any rate, it would have been much better to archive the old one and make a new cache.

Kinda off topic from the direction the thread has taken, but I double logged a cache once when I was a noob. I submitted my "Find", then logged a TB into the cache using a "Found It" log instead of a "Write Note" log. The cache owner wrote me a very nice E-mail pointing out my error, and asking that I edit my log type. Until I saw that E-mail, I didn't even realize what I had done, and I was quite happy to make the suggested fix.

On a similar note, I had one of my puzzle caches come up missing. It was hidden next to a tree on a county right of way, adjacent to a large tract of land used as a hunt camp. In my travels as a deputy, I have established a rapport with the owner of the hunt camp, and he asked me what all the folks were doing near his fence. I explained the idea to him, but he wasn't receptive to it, and although I did not need his permission for a hide at that location, out of courtesy to him, I opted to move it several miles away. The puzzle changed only enough to generate new coords, so I opted to keep it alive on its original cache page. In retrospect, I think this was a bad idea, and if I had it to do over again, I would archive the old one and type up a new one.

-Sean-

Bit of a different issue here.

Maybe the archived cache is in fact still in place and he found both? I have done that... I have found several archived caches still in place.

One of my archived caches is still in place, I haven't been to pick it up (it's on my property) but was found and logged recently. Kewl, archived or not, he found the cache, good log.

I suppose I would email him and ask, maybe he found the archived cache a while back and is just logging it now.

If the archived cache is no longer there and he can't tell you about finding it then logging it is a complete lie and I would delete the log without qualm!

If it's archived, the cache is removed, and he can't describe the container and location - delete!

The origanal cache was MIA.I searched for 2 hours and didnt find even a morsel of it.Although I have never seen a bear in the area I still named the replacement "Bear Bait"....The cacher said he found where the first cache was.It was only ovious because it was the only stump on a grassy hillside.

Edited by halffast

The origanal cache was MIA.I searched for 2 hours and didnt find even a morsel of it.Although I have never seen a bear in the area I still named the replacement "Bear Bait"....The cacher said he found where the first cache was.It was only ovious because it was the only stump on a grassy hillside.

Nah, if it was an active cache and he found it to be missing, and confirmed that with you, that's one thing. I would allow the log so he didn't have to go back to the same spot once I replaced the cache.

Finding the spot where an archived cache used to be is in no way a find.

This is a bit off the subject, but recently, I selected "Write Note" from the list to drop a TB in a cache I found two years ago. When the log went through, it was as a "Found It." I noticed that and edited it right away. On that same day, I noticed a DNF log for a cache I have on a Bookmark List come through as a "Found It." I emailed the cacher about it. He had not noticed the "Found It" and remembered selecting DNF before submitting the log.

Mistakes happen, and a polite email can remedy those.

About six months into caching, I visited a cache with my son which I'd previously found. It had been moved approx. 50' feet from it's original coords (as noted on the page). I figured that since it had been moved and I didn't know where it was before I got there, I figured it was worthy of a second found log.

I even specifically noted in my log that it was a second find. If I'd gotten a note from the owner, I would have been happy to change it, though. I don't think I'd do it again if the situation was similar, though. Perhaps if it was moved a bit farther.

Do agree if it moves significantly, it should be archived and republished as new listing. However, if the owner doesn't do that, it doesn't change the fact that it SHOULD have been done and should count as a unique find.

There's a webcam cache not far from me that encourages the "Finder" - the cacher in the picture - to log a find, as well as the cacher who takes the picture. Some teams split up to get two finds for the same search.

For me, sitting on my duff and taking the picture is not the same as locating the spot and getting someone else to take the shot, so I would never log a find as the picture taker. Even though the cache owner sets up the rules this way, I choose not to play that game.

Polite enough, and very explanatory.

Ask once, then delete.

Fair enough. I agree.

If you moved the cache enough to where it's a new experece even though it shares the same waypoint number...You can consider allowing people to find the cache in it's new location. Your call. If you do the latter, i'd post it on the cache page that old hands can find it again.

I understand that people have different ways they prefer to play this game.

Could someone please show a link to me on the site that forbids people from logging the cache a second time after it was moved. I'm assuming there must be one, since so many are talking about deleting this guys log.

thanks. :laughing:

I understand that people have different ways they prefer to play this game.

Could someone please show a link to me on the site that forbids people from logging the cache a second time after it was moved. I'm assuming there must be one, since so many are talking about deleting this guys log.

thanks. :laughing:

I know you are talking about all caches in general, but rest assured in this case his log was not deleted and the cache find is still there.