"Outed" Caches

Team Rampant Lion

Recently, I have been getting a number of logged visits to different caches I own that include a reference to the cache "sitting out in the open". I was recently out hiking with my family in the Sparta Glen area and as we were walking alongside the river could see from a distance that my Sparta White Water cache was just sitting on top of the rock it was supposed to be under. Further up the hill, the Buttcracker Suite was also out in the open.

I got a note yesterday suggesting The Motherload cache in the same area was gone. While this may be a completely unrelated event, it is very frustrating.

I want to remind everyone how important it is to take the time to hide the cache just as you found it. As a cache owner of just a few, I also wanted to say that I never hide my caches out in the open so if you find it very visible please rehide where you think it ought to go and then drop me a note so I can check.

Putting together a cache, finding a hide spot, getting permission and placing caches takes time, effort and investment. I enjoy doing it so if you could help with a little "Neighborhood Watch" attention, I sure would appreciate it.

Anyone else having this issue in NJ?

Kevin, we haven't found any like that in a while but we'll keep our eyes open.

Recently, I have been getting a number of logged visits to different caches I own that include a reference to the cache "sitting out in the open". I was recently out hiking with my family in the Sparta Glen area and as we were walking alongside the river could see from a distance that my Sparta White Water cache was just sitting on top of the rock it was supposed to be under. Further up the hill, the Buttcracker Suite was also out in the open.

I got a note yesterday suggesting The Motherload cache in the same area was gone. While this may be a completely unrelated event, it is very frustrating.

I want to remind everyone how important it is to take the time to hide the cache just as you found it. As a cache owner of just a few, I also wanted to say that I never hide my caches out in the open so if you find it very visible please rehide where you think it ought to go and then drop me a note so I can check.

Putting together a cache, finding a hide spot, getting permission and placing caches takes time, effort and investment. I enjoy doing it so if you could help with a little "Neighborhood Watch" attention, I sure would appreciate it.

Anyone else having this issue in NJ?

I haven't found mine in the open, but have noticed that some move. Only a few feet in any direction, but they change from being sorta hard to get to, to just grab it. It seems some people like their spots better than mine. To much effort putting them back? or just want to make it easier for future finders? I don't know, but still frustrating. :(

We have a micro that occassionaly"wanders" from it's original hiding spot. It's usually swiped soon after.

We place it in a certain area for a reason.

Not sure if folks don't care, or forgot where it was.

Unfortunately, we can't move it to another location, as another cacher thought it would be a good idea to

place HIS exactly 1/10 mi away.

Your situation is different... For a larger cache to be completely exposed, they have to intentionally do it.

Possible the last finders were one of those who try to get over 50 caches in a day ?

CJ and I have gone to a few after the "100 in 24 hours - hurray for us !" cachers and found swag from caches outside the container and strewn on the ground, with undecipherable scribbles in logs (gotta do this quick ! ), so nobody knows what happened to that T.B. or geocoin, and exposed containers.

Or, similar to folks who put broken Mctoys in caches and taking something nice out, they simply

figure, "I got mine...".

Shame on them.

The 100 in a day sounds right to me. Although I think it took me a good few hours to get all the ones TRL put on that mountain, so I think those guys might target different caches.

Maybe non-cachers? Maybe somebody found them by accident, and didn't know they should have covered them back up.

Could be anything, you didn't piss somebody off did you ? lol

Could be anything, you didn't piss somebody off did you ? lol

Hmmm...well I did cut that one guy off on Rt 80. But no I don't think so.

It could be a number of things so I won't point fingers. I have taken a number of groups of kids from Sparta up around Sparta Glen to show them how geocaching works (as I know has some others), there are a fair amount of muggles in the area and there are some illegal hunters who sneak around the area. So rather than speculate, I am asking others to give a hand in keeping the caches well hidden. If it seems out of place (per the clue) or is out in the open, please rehide well and drop me a note.

I did check on The Motherload today and it is gone. I sent a number of "I regret to inform you thet your TB is gone notes". Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a similar container for sale to replace (not that my wife minds as the cache cost me $5 to purchase but $35 to ship when I bought it). So I archived the cache.

Somebody stole the motherload? Thats horrible. :)

What in the heck would some body need that container for other than a crazy geocache?

They must have really wanted it to carry that thing out.

Yes, it's gone. I had just bought two more lacrosse sticks to stick in it as a prize too. Well, now those are underneath the Buttcracker Suite cache as they were too big to go in it. These are a great prize for kids so I hope someone with a family gets them.

there's dialog on a local webforum about this subject. I've had some of mine move a bit esp. the nanos. one reported out in the open and the finder did put it back. the new ones I just put out the finder covered them better then I had-which is fine cause they are in muggle areas. it's hard to predict what the finder will do (cacher or not). I'm glad when the logs reflect the condition like out in the open etc. the logs that say tnlnsl tftc aren't real helpful to know that everything is okay. I'm guilty of this cause sometimes I can't remember which cache may need some owner's attention (have to start writing these things down). as owners of the cache we prob. just need to do maint. more often.

Cache migration is a different story from caches left out in the open. I've found some poorly hidden caches that I could spot from a distance. Mostly, there was not any better way to hide it. That is not the case in any TRL cache that I've found. They are always well hidden!

Some cachers are not good at rehiding caches. Some do not seem to care. Is there one cacher who found those soon before they were discovered exposed? Might just be a sloppy cacher?

Cache migration is a different story from caches left out in the open. I've found some poorly hidden caches that I could spot from a distance. Mostly, there was not any better way to hide it. That is not the case in any TRL cache that I've found. They are always well hidden!

Some cachers are not good at rehiding caches. Some do not seem to care. Is there one cacher who found those soon before they were discovered exposed? Might just be a sloppy cacher?

I don't mean to disagree but it is probably that I am getting to them after you. In February, I had found several TRL caches out of the open a few months ago. It struck me as odd that they would be that way

I felt so odd about it at the time and mentioned it in some of the logs.

I hid them much better than I had found it. The caches were in an area that was mixed TRL and treequest and also a few other caches. Only the TRL caches were out in the open. Though TRL is making it easy for everyone. Just the opposite of treequest.

They were in there hiding spot but uncovered and could be seen from a good distance. Instinctively, I thought that it was wrong so I hid them well.

These are the caches I visited

Totally in open:

Bearbait

In open:

MounTom's Invention Spot

TomE's Drop Spot

This was OK:

Jack's Trail Marker

I visited these caches on February 7th.

I am having a cache migration issue with this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...19-b3ad6a18e6e3

ITs mine and I can not locate it. IT is not were I placed it. You can see several promoinent cachers could not find like Trowel32 but others say they have found it. IT is very perplexing.

I found it covered with tons of pine needles within 10 feet of my Garmin's GZ. It was the first ammo box I had seen on that cache journey - many micros and tupperware... it was about 6 feet from the water and about 45 feet from the road or so... it was totally hidden and just started moving pine needles and kicked the can.

Caches left out in the open is a problem here in South Carolina too. I have had several post in the last few months where a log entry stated that one of my caches was found just sitting out in the open. I believe Team Rampant Lion's theory about cachers trying to fill some number quota of caches in a day and in their haste to move on not rehiding the cache back properly is right on the money. If finding a huge number of caches in a day is what a cacher likes to do, then that is great. However, please be responsible enough to rehide the cache back as it was found. It couldn't possibly delay anyone that much to rehide a cache. TRL is also correct in stating that finding a good location, getting permission, purchasing a container, putting contents in a container, spending time creating the web page for the cache and going out and actually placing the cache all take time and a little money. So please be courteous to all the members who take the time to give you something to hunt and leave a cache like you found it, that is unless you find it out in the open.

Wow, thanks Never Lost In Him. NOw I have a basis for trying to locate the ammo can again. Originally it was in a fork of a tree and lightly coverdd with mostly sticks & some Pine Needles.

Heh - I'll have to go look for that one again with this new information :anicute: There was also snow when I was there, so its no wonder I couldn't find it. That's a really beautiful area to explore.

Well I had my one and only cache "muggled." It's gone, so I am going to get a microcache capsule and be evil. :)

HaHa. I just know this will help the cache not get MIA by civilians because it will be so well hidden, only cachers will be looking for it where it is at and will see it and recognize it.

I have been wondering about this since i started caching.

This may have been said already, if it has im sorry.

Im not talking about caches obviously left in open, but those, particularly in holes in tress that have moved out into the open. I was thinking about it this yesterday and today. And my thinking was although some people dont care too much about rehiding something, maybe critters visiting the holes move them about? Although not always the reason, im sure it happens.

And my thinking was although some people dont care too much about rehiding something, maybe critters visiting the holes move them about? Although not always the reason, im sure it happens.

I have had critters move (and outright eat) some of my caches. But I can't blame them for moving a four foot tall, 14 inch wide, 8 inch deep, 20 pound metal cache hidden under a log.

Recently, I have been getting a number of logged visits to different caches I own that include a reference to the cache "sitting out in the open". I was recently out hiking with my family in the Sparta Glen area and as we were walking alongside the river could see from a distance that my Sparta White Water cache was just sitting on top of the rock it was supposed to be under.

Got a note from a trusted cacher that this one was now not in it's hiding place but out in the open in the parking lot! Unfortunately, I have to archive it as someone clearly has decided to mess with it. <_<

Recently, I have been getting a number of logged visits to different caches I own that include a reference to the cache "sitting out in the open". I was recently out hiking with my family in the Sparta Glen area and as we were walking alongside the river could see from a distance that my Sparta White Water cache was just sitting on top of the rock it was supposed to be under.

Got a note from a trusted cacher that this one was now not in it's hiding place but out in the open in the parking lot! Unfortunately, I have to archive it as someone clearly has decided to mess with it. <_<

I enjoyed your event and dissapointed this cache had so much trouble. I will remember it fondly as I was able to find it in a group of about 13 who were looking for it. My first multi-person cache and a great time was had by all!

Any chance that the container was displaced by recent flood waters. I have had this occur several times in flood areas. One that I archived was found about 50 feet away from hiding spot, or roughly the entire length of the rope I had tied it with.

Nope. The waters didn't get that high up here and it was under a very sizable rock.

Any chance that the container was displaced by recent flood waters. I have had this occur several times in flood areas. One that I archived was found about 50 feet away from hiding spot, or roughly the entire length of the rope I had tied it with.

Nope. The waters didn't get that high up here and it was under a very sizable rock.

Could it have washed down?

No, you may remember the historic flood Sparta had in 2000. They built up the banks of this stream to handle that type of flow and more. It would have had to come up and over the top to reach the cache and then have enough momentum to move the rock and cache. I came by the day of all the flooding in NJ and it was nowhere near the top.

I retrived the cache this morning. It was about 0.2 miles from the hiding place behind a large rock across from the parking lot. I have a feeling someone thought about taking it, got to the parking lot and likely saw other people there so just abandoned it.

No, you may remember the historic flood Sparta had in 2000. They built up the banks of this stream to handle that type of flow and more. It would have had to come up and over the top to reach the cache and then have enough momentum to move the rock and cache. I came by the day of all the flooding in NJ and it was nowhere near the top.

I retrived the cache this morning. It was about 0.2 miles from the hiding place behind a large rock across from the parking lot. I have a feeling someone thought about taking it, got to the parking lot and likely saw other people there so just abandoned it.

I mean more that it was washed down the mountain, not by the stream, then someone picked it up and moved it further..

Edited by briansnat