Micro Caches Are Not Traditional Caches

South Lyon Trekkers

Long-winded explanation to my thinking: During a recent multi-cache I began thinking about micro caches. The multi was made up of five stages, each a micro cache (in the woods). The final stage was an ammo box. While looking for the final stage we had lost track and believed we were on stage 5 and looking for a micro cache. We ended up not finding the stage. While logging the cache we realized our mistake. The point here is that we had the mindset to look for a micro container. If we had remembered to look for an ammo box we would have approached the hunt much differently.

What I'd like to see: Micro caches are not traditional caches. The placement, the search techniques, and environment are often vastly different to the search for a container in the woods. There is usually nothing to trade, only a log book to sign. I'd like to see micro caches given it's own cache type. The would affect a few things, stats being one. But more importantly, to me, how the information appears on my GPSr w/o reading the eBook from the PQ. It would also, with its own icon, appear differently in cache searches on Geocaching.com and would allow for filtering.

I like urban micros and full-size caches in the woods. I have hidden both and search for both. Sometimes I would like to be able to differentiate the cache types by filtering or what have you.

If you use a program like GSAK to upload to your gps (at least it works for my Garmin) you can set icons to be different for Micros, trad, multi, events, caches owened by you etc. Play around with the GPS upload page, if you use these programs, if not try it out its free for 30 days, and then after that you get a nag screen but full program still works, but it is worth the 20 bucks for the program.

Multis are often mixed sizes as in the OP's example. Unfortunately, we have to just have to learn to read the description for multis and mysteries.

I'm not sure how you could not see an ammo box when looking for a micro. I remember looking for a multi where we had miscounted the stages and thought we were looking a regular and we couldn't find a micro. The following day after we had reread the description the micro find was easy. The error was ours; not a system problem or an owner error.

If you use a program like GSAK to upload to your gps (at least it works for my Garmin) you can set icons to be different for Micros, trad, multi, events, caches owened by you etc. Play around with the GPS upload page, if you use these programs, if not try it out its free for 30 days, and then after that you get a nag screen but full program still works, but it is worth the 20 bucks for the program.

What I do is insert codes into the waypoint that tells me a bit about the cache. Size, type, difficulty and terrain are inserted. I can easily tell a lot by 4 characters.

As a side note, I also recode the waypoints down to 3 characters to fit the newer caches and the 4 data characters into the 8 character limit on my GPS.

Micro is a Size of Traditional cache . . .

This is true.

However they create enough angst in their own right to deserve their own catagory.

I can see it now:

Cache Types

• Angst-ridden Micros
  • Traditional Cache
  • Unknown Cache
  • Multi-cache
  • Virtual Cache
  • Letterbox Hybrid
  • Webcam Cache
  • Event Cache
  • Cache In Trash Out Event
  • Project APE Cache
  • Mega-Event Cache

B):(:)

I would love to see them separated.

me too.

I already filter them out of my pocket queries, but I used to like using google maps before the micro explosion here destroyed my ability to do that. would be nice if there was some separation available, there are lots of places where it's difficult to see that a cache is a micro.

My opinion (worth 2 bytes) is that since there's second party software capable of doing this already, it's not likely to be a priority for developers here.

You can see the cache size on every cache page, you can filter for it on PQs, you can filter for it in second party software, you can have the size included in either or both the cache name or code in second party software.

On using google earth, you can PQ for no micros, then drop your micro free PQ results onto google earth.

And "traditional" as defined by this website means "cache at coords", it's not an indication of size.

During a recent multi-cache I began thinking about micro caches. The multi was made up of five stages, each a micro cache (in the woods). The final stage was an ammo box. While looking for the final stage we had lost track and believed we were on stage 5 and looking for a micro cache. We ended up not finding the stage. While logging the cache we realized our mistake. The point here is that we had the mindset to look for a micro container. If we had remembered to look for an ammo box we would have approached the hunt much differently.

. . . I'd like to see micro caches given it's own cache type. The would affect a few things, stats being one. But more importantly, to me, how the information appears on my GPSr w/o reading the eBook from the PQ.

How would what you propose have prevented the mistake you made, which was to forget what stage you were on? The cache was a regular sized cache, so nothing about this particular cache's listing would have been changed. What I think you are saying is that there are so many micros included within the "traditional" category that you sometimes assume (incorrectly) that the traditional cache you are looking for is a micro. If that's true, it simply reflects a failure to read the cache description. But that isn't even what happened in this case - you simply forgot what stage you were on. I don't see that as justifying a change to a classification system that already makes sense. Rather, it's a good reminder to resist assumptions and actually consult the cache description - especially if you're having trouble finding the cache! :rolleyes:

The issue of being on one stage and thinking it was another is my own fault. It just made me realize that hunting for micros takes a different mindset than hunting for a regular size cache.

GENERALLY speaking, hunting for micros takes stealth, a keen eye, patience, and the ability to think of the absurd. A regular cache in the woods GENERALLY does not. The cache itself is often different in that it holds only a log, not bugs, coins, or swag. There are often placed for different reasons as well. Micros are often placed to give the cacher a challenge to find it (or pad stats). An ammo box in the woods is there, partially, in theory, to bring the cacher to an interesting spot. Don't many cachers get a bit frustrated after a mile hike into the woods for a micro?

Calling it a Traditional because the cache is at the coordinates is misleading. A multi-cache is at the coordinates, at least in part. It has it's own icon. It is there to inform the cacher that he or she needs to approach this cache with a different mindset. One that indicates there are multiple parts and gratification will come with the sum of the whole.

It seems to me that the OP has a valid point, but in light of all the talk here in the not-so-distant past about returning to the 'original intent' of geocaching maybe it should go a step further.

We got rid of reverse caches because you looking for something and report the location. That's not geocaching.

We got rid of virtuals because they don't have a container. That's not geocaching.

Well, didn't the original cache have a container full of trade swag and not just a logbook (or a slip of paper)?

To follow this line of thought, can a micro really even BE a "real" geocache?

Maybe micros should not just be a specific type. Perhaps they should be moved to their own website and their own game.

Of course, that still leaves us with the whole benchmark anomaly and the Earthcache resurgence.

Hmm.

:laughing:

It seems to me that the OP has a valid point, but in light of all the talk here in the not-so-distant past about returning to the 'original intent' of geocaching maybe it should go a step further.

We got rid of reverse caches because you looking for something and report the location. That's not geocaching.

We got rid of virtuals because they don't have a container. That's not geocaching.

Well, didn't the original cache have a container full of trade swag and not just a logbook (or a slip of paper)?

Maybe micros should not just be a specific type. Perhaps they should be moved to their own website and their own game.

Of course, that still leaves us with the whole benchmark anomaly and the Earthcache resurgence.

Hmm.

;)

And WebCams . . . don't forget WebCams . . . where's the container? Where's the logbook? What is someone without a cellphone supposed to do with those . . . ? ;)

Hmm.

;)

And WebCams . . . don't forget WebCams . . . where's the container? Where's the logbook? What is someone without a cellphone supposed to do with those . . . ? ;)

And CITO! If there was a log book there in the first place, it would have been bundled up in a garbage bag and taken to the city dump.

And don't forget Event caches and Mega-event caches. Of the seven currently-active and two grandfathered cache types, only three allow you to have a log book. (This is why I don't take Groundspeak's reasons for killing Virtuals seriously, but what are you gonna do?)

dave

So a little old lady asks you for help in a parking lot. She has lost her car. After a two hour search row by row, car by car she remembers to tell you that it is a hotwheels car she had bought for her grandson. You feel like you have had a successful day. :laughing:

i agree i would love to have them seperated, (then we wouldnt have to do all those "tricks" suggested to keep them straight). it is a much different hunt and we should be able to filter them. i personnally dont care for micros (especially in the woods, come on!!) and so it would be nice to have that filter so i could avoid them in the search pages and not spend most of my time weeding them out of the search results when i want to hunt Normal sized caches.

So a little old lady asks you for help in a parking lot. She has lost her car. After a two hour search row by row, car by car she remembers to tell you that it is a hotwheels car she had bought for her grandson. You feel like you have had a successful day. :laughing:

A hotwheels is not a car. It's non-working model of a car. A micro is still an actual cache.

What was that crashing sound? Oh, it was your analogy falling apart.

Clean up on aisle six! :D

A hotwheels is not a car. It's non-working model of a car. A micro is still an actual cache.

What was that crashing sound? Oh, it was your analogy falling apart.

Clean up on aisle six! :D

I think a hotwheels is as much of a car as a micro is of a cache so the analogy works for me. Maybe Micros are bigger in Texas. :D

And CITO! If there was a log book there in the first place, it would have been bundled up in a garbage bag and taken to the city dump.

And don't forget Event caches and Mega-event caches. Of the seven currently-active and two grandfathered cache types, only three allow you to have a log book. (This is why I don't take Groundspeak's reasons for killing Virtuals seriously, but what are you gonna do?)

dave

Every event (CITO included) I have ever attended included a logbook.

Mega is a Size of Event cache . . .

Unfortunately, TPTB really screwed up with the name and description of a Mega-Event as an event with more than 500 attendees. The Mega-Event should have been called a special event. And the definition should have been to emphasize that this event is not just a local group of geocachers but an event whose intent is to bring together geocahers from a region, nation, or international. The 500 attendees is an indication that event is attracting cachers from outside the local area, but it should not be the only reason for an event to get the "mega" or "special" designation. But given the current definition you are right and therefore to be consistent, micro-sized traditional caches should be given their own cache type. :)

I concur - "Mega-Event" would have been better labeled as "regional" or "ultra-event." "Mega-" implies size. "Ultra-" implies power. And by calling it a "regional" event it also gives the impression that this is more than your run-of-the-mill get-together.

One suggestion I have for you is to use a tool like GSAK to encode the type & size into the waypoint name so that when you are looking at your GPS compass screen, you'll have the type and size right in front of you. I also encode the difficult and terrain (the four attributes mentioned use up 4 characters of the waypoint name). I find that this is usually all I need to know to begin my hunt.

--Marky

...or by the icon on the GPS. I use City (Small) for smalls and micros on my GPS76S since it is a smaller dot than the standard waypoint. Then I know by looking at the icon on the screen what the container is without messing with the waypoint name.

Have to agree micro is a size and not type, don't need any more icons on my GPS beyond found, owned, disabled and go find it, type and size is in the description. If it were a type what would I use to describe it? mn, micro nano?, what about multi that is a micro, or would that be mm but then it is 2 types, a multi and a micro so what would be first with my type/size scheme, too confusing, like it the way it is now. I also don't know how this would work with your multi being a mix of micro and regular caches, being a multi you usually do require the cache page to know what you are looking for at the start, a cache or maybe a plaque ;) oh no, a virtual stage.

It does.

micro.gif = micro

small.gif = small

regular.gif = regular

large.gif = large

other.gif = other

not_chosen.gif = not chosen

I would love to see MICRO cache have a separate icon on the search page so I would know at a glance. Some times I am specifically looking for a traditional (i.e. one I can leave something in - TB).

That should read:

Some times I am specifically looking for a traditional regular or large cache (i.e. one I can leave something in - TB).

Multi caches and Letterbox Hybrids can have travel bugs if they're large enough, right?

Edited by Markwell

Wow, lots of discussion.

I really think micros should have their own status. The search techniques required, the fact that no swag or TBs fit, etc. I have searched for one too many caches only to not find them and later learn that it was a micro, but the owner didn't say so on the page.

Either that, or make it a requirement that except for mystery caches, the owner say it is a micro.