GMail delivery problems

Geofellas

I have not received any notifications to my GMail account since 149am EDT today. I know there should have been some since I have posted logs to caches I have a watch on as well as to my own TB and I know that others with non-gmail accounts have received notifications of these. There was a problem with delivery to gmail some time ago so I wonder if it is happening again?

That's four

I did just get a private e-mail but there must be a holdup with all the other notifications. It does seem to affect only gmail since notifications for the same caches/TBs have reached people who are on different domains.

Time for TPTB to comment perhaps :rolleyes:

Same troubles as before...although I am getting PQs, no notifications are arriving. I sent GMail a trouble report using the below URL yesterday (you might try cutting and pasting and submitting a report too)

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/request...port+your+issue

Received an auto-acknowledgement from them, but no "fix" yet.

Thanks

Here is what I wrote to Google:

In common with hundreds of other geocaching.com and gmail users, regular e-mails originating from geocaching.com do not appear to be arriving. Similar e-mails sent to other email services (yahoo, sympatico.ca, rogers.com etc.) etc. are arriving normally which indicates that the problem lies with gmail and not geocaching.com

A similar situation occurred a few week ago and it was reported that google was throttling or blocking emails from geocaching.com. It appeared to have been resolved until yesterday morning

This is highly inconvenient and totally unnecessary. These emails are not spam but a very necessary part of a worldwide game played by thousands of people.

Please see if you can fix this issue and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks

While this appears to let geocaching.com off the hook I believe they could be helpful in getting this resolved rather than just ignoring this thread.

Still no e-mail

Earth to Groundspeak...

So you post a thread Friday afternoon, just before quitting time on the West Coast, and expect an answer before the sun comes up on Saturday?

The best way to alert Groundspeak is to email them. Try contact@Groundspeak.com. An important issue like this will likely be looked into much sooner that way than hoping they read this particular thread.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

So you post a thread Friday afternoon, just before quitting time on the West Coast, and expect an answer before the sun comes up on Saturday?

The best way to alert Groundspeak is to email them. Try contact@Groundspeak.com. An important issue like this will likely be looked into much sooner that way than hoping they read this particular thread.

Hmm - 355pm PDT on Friday is a problem for an organisation that supposedly provides a 24 hour service (this is an IT issue after all)? I'm sure the office isn't closed and the doors all locked over the weekend.

A thread entitled "GMail delivery problems" should attract attention I would have thought. In fact it's rather surprising that the IT folks hadn't noticed this issue earlier in the day since by then it had been going on for many hours and since it had occurred on a previous occasion should have been one of the issues that would have been watched for. From many other threads one has little confidence that contact@geocaching.com is an effective means of achieving anything. In fact on http://www.geocaching.com/contact/ it explicitly says "We get thousands of emails each day, and as a small team it is difficult to respond to each and every email in a prompt manner." Not very confidence building... In addition it goes on to say "After checking out the knowledge base and the forums if you do not see the answer to your question, you may email us directly. " clearly indicating that the forums are the first line of contact to use and then, if that doesn't work, giving us permission to send an email.

There was once a support URL http://support.Groundspeak.com/Support/index.php but that seems to have fallen by the wayside as it is no longer accessible. Shame - that was a very good way of submitting problem reports - you got a ticket number etc. Seemed very professional and started to give confidence that it was a maturing organisation.

Oh well - the problem is fixed now however it was caused - hopefully it will not reoccur.

I too have received NO PQ's since the 20th - and this is the THIRD time I have had this happen. The other two times Groundspeak's fix was to recreate them. Funny how they worked for 4+ years and suddenly in 6 months I have to continually recreate them... All that seems to have done is move me waayyyyyyy down in the que.....

And I also cannot access the Groundspeak help page to log a problem...

Jeesh... Time to spend some subscription cash on upgrades fellas!

I checked and gc's e-mail address is NOT in the spam/blocked file PLUS just now I got an e-mail copy of a message I just sent to another cacher! I logged a find dropping a coin in then grabbing it back to log milage. I usually get 2 e-mails for that but got nothing. Odd, huh!!!

You guys need to realize that this is NOT a Groundspeak issue - it's a GMail issue. There's only so much that GS can do about it.

(Yes, I work in the email industry).

GMail (Yahoo!, Hotmail ,etc.) receive millions of emails through their systems each day, and they have more issues than you know about. Usually, you receive your email instantly, so any delay seems like an eternity to wait, I know.

Keep in mind the following:

- Marketers are sending messages through their systems (ISPS/domains, not GS's).

- MANY of these are SPAM campaigns and trigger SPAM complaints which can cause temporary hold-up/shut downs at the ISPs/domains. They SHOULD only affect the IP address sending the SPAM, but these are humans. It's not unheard of for the person reacting to this to accidentally block/queue ALL email.

- People use the REPORT SPAM button to block users who mail them through the GS website thinking it will prevent them from contacting them again. It only hurts the GS domain/IP, not the sender.

- The servers at the ISPs/domain go down ALOT. This causes mail to queue up, get blocked/rejected, etc.

- One of the many systems that handle email (Ironports for example) go down, causing HUGE issues for everybody

- It's technology, it breaks :anicute:

What can you do to help:

- Put the FROM ADRESS in your address book/known senders list

- Do NOT report emails as SPAM if somebody SPAMs you from the GS site - report it to GS and let them handle it

- Be patient, these things happen

- Don't always blame Groundspeak :anicute:

Added: I could go on, but I think you get the jist of what I was saying.....

Edited by kealia

how do you know it's not a Groundspeka issue?

Based on experience.

I don't think this is a gmail thing. I have scheduled PQ's (with Friday checked) which just didn't run at all this friday.

This isn't about PQ's not running, this is about messages getting to Gmail accounts.

From the OP:

I have not received any notifications to my GMail account since 149am EDT today.

Another data point:

I've been getting PQ's, contact emails, and copies of emails promptly. I haven't received any watchlist or notify emails since 1pm (MDT) on Thursday. And I know there are several I should've received.

I'm not on gmail, it's my cable ISP (shaw.ca).

Nor have I been getting my watch list e-mails or my own hides. I got a PQ very late, responses from gc.com reporting my problem but nothing else. The @geocaching.com OR @Groundspeak.com is the SAME! These were to a hotmail account. I've checked EVERYTHING to make sure the e-mails aren't being tagged as spam.

Experience that!

Not sure who has the issue but I have not received any notifications in 2 days and not using a gmail or yahoo or any other free email account. We are shawmail (shaw.ca) and a caching friend has not had any problem and he is telus.net. At other times when this problem crops up he has nothing and I get everything. Very wierd. Shaw has asked for all message source info when I finally receive the missing notifications to try and track the problem. Somethimes the servers just hate talking to each other.

Another data point:

I've been getting PQ's, contact emails, and copies of emails promptly. I haven't received any watchlist or notify emails since 1pm (MDT) on Thursday. And I know there are several I should've received.

I'm not on gmail, it's my cable ISP (shaw.ca).

Follow-up:

I switched my account email to my work and I started getting notifications again.

I switched back to Shaw and they stopped, even when I posted a note on one of my own travel bugs.

I switched to my work again and everything's fine.

So now I'll see what Shaw has to say.

I bounced between my hotmail account and my sbcglobal account. Not a large change so I went back to the hotmail and all of a sudden, stuff started coming thru! ALL I did was change from one e-mail to the other.

Hope everyone else here gets the same results soon!