Member only caches and why I hate them.

Zop

Yes, and in that vein, if I remember correctly, I once created a cache where valid find claims could be made only by chain-smoking full-blooded Lithuanians with type A- blood who were full and active members in the third synod, fourteenth convocation, ninth conference, 1984 revision of a particular religion. The cache never had any finders. sigh. :(

Not true - I found that cache. I just never bothered to enter an on-line log because I knew you would just delete it. Check the log book in the cache if you don't believe me. B)

Holy Mackerel! I thought that you were pulling my leg, but I just visited the cache and checked the logbook, and, yep, you did sign it! Wow! There was one other cacher who logged it (again, logbook only) as well, two months after you did.

Yes, and in that vein, if I remember correctly, I once created a cache where valid find claims could be made only by chain-smoking full-blooded Lithuanians with type A- blood who were full and active members in the third synod, fourteenth convocation, ninth conference, 1984 revision of a particular religion. The cache never had any finders. sigh. B)

Not true - I found that cache. I just never bothered to enter an on-line log because I knew you would just delete it. Check the log book in the cache if you don't believe me. :(

Holy Mackerel! I thought that you were pulling my leg, but I just visited the cache and checked the logbook, and, yep, you did sign it! Wow! There was one other cacher who logged it (again, logbook only) as well, two months after you did.

It was a really great cache, by the way. But I knew when I was going after it that I wouldn't be able to log my find on-line (I'm a non-smoker, and I missed the fourteenth convocation).

But we've gotten off topic, and for that, I apologize. This discussion is about PMOCs. Or maybe Family Memberships. I forget which.

Actually I use the pocket queries all the time and yes I am aware of the options available but Why would I want to carry two GPS's and two PDA's? I try and find whatever pops up in the area I'm caching. Am I to wipe both my GPS & PDA when ever my kids come with me? I think not.

Hi All, I just know the topic has been discussed and the title is sure to get a lot of flack but let's face it. Members only caches cause a lot of sad :) faces when out caching with my kids or new comers who just want to know what it's all about before diving in the way I did.

Several times now, my kids have been along with me for a day outdoors caching. Most of the time they have a great time - until they come home to log their finds only to find out that some may be "Members Only". :laughing:

Don't get me wrong! I'm a member and will continue to be one but my kids are not. Not that $30 is a lot of money - $90 is. And we're a small family!

I became a member not to find these off limit caches but to support the hard work behind geocaching.com and all they have done. As a member I do take advantage of pocket queries and download waypoints several times a week. Since most of the time, we are using my PDA and my GPS, there will be "Members Only" caches in my tools.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any way to determine which is which when on the road! So, when we get home after a fun day caching, my kids often find that they are excluded from logging their finds. This, in a nutshell, SUCKS.

I have only 350 or so finds so far but I have yet to see a "Members Only" cache stand out above the rest. I understand that members (myself included) want to encourage support for those who put this all together and keep it going but there should be some sort of "Family" membership that can allow for situations where spouses and children are covered or at least a way to let them log a find.

Just my $.02 worth.

With 350 finds, you should already know how to use the tools available to you, (like pocket Queries.)

Yep, you're right. The GPX file doesn't have any way of marking which are MOCs. But there is the "back door" method that CYBret linked to, so your kids can log them.

Wrong!

0ba569a6-d764-4a3c-b71b-2c8e135d399c.jpg

I often "Plan ahead" but my kids are at that age where things are getting very spontaneous. They will often be out with friends, at their mom's or wherever. When they are wanting to spend time with Dad, it's LET's go!

From my perspective, the issue really isn't with MO's so to speak, it's the inability to filter the MO's in the GPS and/or PDA.

Now that we know how to 'backdoor' log, it will be less of an issue for the kids and newbies I drag along with me. :)

Zop,

Haven't you ever bothered to plan ahead, and review caches before you go caching. Things like checking the status of the cache (disabled, PMOC, not kid friendly, etc.) If you plan on taking non PMOCs with you, try taking the time to plan ahead.

The easiest way to mark off MOC in GSAK, is to run a extra PQ of the area that returns only MOCs. Then import that into GSAK with these options checked:

Set user flag

If matched, ONLY update user flag

Clear all user flags first

Now the database has all MOC caches flagged. Filter to user flag (F8) and do Database=>Global Replace to place "MOC" in User Data or User Data 2. Then anytime you don't want MOCs in your output, just filter them out.

The easiest way to mark off MOC in GSAK, is to run a extra PQ of the area that returns only MOCs. Then import that into GSAK with these options checked:

Set user flag

Now the database has all MOC caches flagged. Filter to user flag (F8) and do Database=>Global Replace to place "MOC" in User Data or User Data 2. Then anytime you don't want MOCs in your output, just filter them out.

Thanks for the tip but do these flags show up on a PDA or GPS?

Yes, and in that vein, if I remember correctly, I once created a cache where valid find claims could be made only by chain-smoking full-blooded Lithuanians with type A- blood who were full and active members in the third synod, fourteenth convocation, ninth conference, 1984 revision of a particular religion. The cache never had any finders. sigh. :laughing:

Not true - I found that cache. I just never bothered to enter an on-line log because I knew you would just delete it. Check the log book in the cache if you don't believe me. :rolleyes:

I think I have made this point before, but this post represents it well.

You can put all the restrictions in the world on what you will accept for online logs but as long as the cache remains in a publicly accessible place, it will be found and signed by whomever wishes to do so.

The only practical relevance of the online logs is for the owner to "check on the cache" by proxy and for people to keep public record of their find counts- neither of which are really all that important in the over-all scheme of things. (And yes, I agree the online logging DOES add to the sport but it is not NECESSARY by any means)

There is a back-door method of logging MOC caches which has been published in the forums. Whereas granting more than one username access to a single premium membership ("family membership") might be a worthwhile option for GC to consider (obviously for an additional fee, say $5 per extra username up to a limit of 5 or so), one can totally play the game without it.

There is a back-door method of logging MOC caches which has been published in the forums. Whereas granting more than one username access to a single premium membership ("family membership") might be a worthwhile option for GC to consider (obviously for an additional fee, say $5 per extra username up to a limit of 5 or so), one can totally play the game without it.

I at first thought that it would be easy to implement a "family" type of plan but then i realized that this plan would probably get abused quite a bit as well. Kinda like the AOL thing where one person buys the plan and then let's friends, neighbors, and whoever make a screen name to use. What could possibly be done is to allow only certain benefits for the $5 members, such as being able to see and log MOCs.

I doubt there are very many that would abuse it and seeing as how basic membership is free anyway GC really doesn't have a lot to lose.

Simply limiting the number of "family members" on a single account would be sufficient to keep the losses down.

XM radio has a 'family plan" where a regular subscriber can add up to 4 additional radios for each about half price of a regular subscription. I don't think they are hurting from abuse.

Actually, I assume it would generate more income... otherwise I'm sure XM would not be doing it.

i doubt many "close friends" would use this method to steal a premium membership. These kinds of arrangements tend to tarnish friendships when the "master" forgets to pay the bill or the extras fail to ante up their part.

Naw, i don't think the potential for abuse is high, providing there IS a fee for each additional username.

If you read the cache page, I think it is evident . . .

It is the site of a plane crash. The cache owner doesn't want anyone who is not a Premium Member of the site to have access to the coordinates.

I read and still do not understand.

Pillaging wont happen if someone pays $3 a month?

No, but if it's a MOC, the owner gets something they wouldn't if it weren't a MOC: an audit trail. the MOC cache feature comes with a logging trail - you can see who's accessed your cache page. And, if you either know or are pretty sure who the local pillager is, and said LP is not a member, then yeah, it's pretty easy to keep said pillager from getting your cache info if he / she can't access the page.

Set user flag

Thanks for the tip but do these flags show up on a PDA or GPS?

When you set them up in GSAK, you can also tell it to put an "M-" or some such in front of the cache name when it uploads it to your GPSr, as was suggested upthread. THAT will flag it in your GPS. Simple, no?

If you don't wish to change the cache name in your GPS, then tell GSAK to put "MOC" or "Members Only" or something in the comments section of every MOC when you send it to the GPS.

Far's the PDA goes, if you're using CacheMate, you can create separate folders for your MOCs. Flagged by way of being in a separate database on the same PDA.

Problems solved.

Edited by PAWSitraction

I doubt there are very many that would abuse it and seeing as how basic membership is free anyway GC really doesn't have a lot to lose.

Simply limiting the number of "family members" on a single account would be sufficient to keep the losses down.

XM radio has a 'family plan" where a regular subscriber can add up to 4 additional radios for each about half price of a regular subscription. I don't think they are hurting from abuse.

Actually, I assume it would generate more income... otherwise I'm sure XM would not be doing it.

i doubt many "close friends" would use this method to steal a premium membership. These kinds of arrangements tend to tarnish friendships when the "master" forgets to pay the bill or the extras fail to ante up their part.

Naw, i don't think the potential for abuse is high, providing there IS a fee for each additional username.

You're probably right! I do figure that some would try to use the "family member rate" just to keep from paying the whole $30 but it wouldn't amount to much, if any, revenue loss for GC.com. Still, it might not be a bad idea for GC.com to make available a lower priced, less benefits member type plan. In this case, a cheapy plan for those who wish to find and log mocs.

There have been times when my wife caches with me that I wished there was a family membership. On those occasions I use the back door, and have never had a cache owner delete her logs, though I have heard of instances on these forums when others have not been so lucky. I would be willing to pay and extra 5 to add my wife. I would think that somewhere in the signup you would have to list the additional members on line names though to keep things on the up and up.

Here is one example of why someone makes a cache Members Only, and keeps it restricted.

I can't read the listing because I'm not a PM. That alone should say there are problems with the system.

Why I think PMOCs are bad for GC.com and for geocaching in general:

1) Loss of revenue to gc.com. How much, I don't know. I'd be quite happy to put up the money for the other PM features, and in fact I do put up money for access to quite a few web sites. But gc.com is losing my money because of the existence of PMOCs.

2) PMOCs smack of elitism. True, it only takes a one-month membership to get the coordinates. It's the smack, not the money.

3) Hypocrisy: refer to the PM page, where it says "Some caches are only available to Premium Members" and then just a few lines later "Do I have to pay to go Geocaching now? Never!" (yes, including the exclamation point). These statements conflict. I'd drop this objection if they changed "Never!" to the Gilbert and Sullivan quote "No, never! What, never? Well, hardly ever!".

4) In some places, I simply cannot hide a cache without being a PM, because there are enough PMOCs hidden that I have to know their coordinates to place another cache. Yes, it's true that in such places there are probably too many caches already anyway. But I'm familiar with one popular loop trail where one cacher saturated the trail with PMOCs (now however changed to regular). It just left a really bad taste in my mouth that one of the first areas I looked at on gc.com was saturated with PMOCs and I could only find empty areas if I were a PM.

5) If excessive traffic is really an issue, a PMOC is a poor tool to address it. There are much more effective ways to restrict access. An idea that pops into my head is to make it an offset cache, with the offset obtained by contacting the owner, who will give the instructions to anyone with 100 or more finds, and only to such people. More experienced cachers probably have better ideas. The point is that anyone can get the coordinates of a PMOC for $3 without demonstrating any skill or level of responsibility.

Edward

Oh, and of course I forgot one thing. I understand why hiders might want to see who has been visiting the cache page. So make this a PM feature -- one more benny for PMs. But make it a benny for a hider who is a PM, unrelated to the hide being a PMOC.

Edward

Ed -

Just a couple comments on your points...

Point 1 - The revenue gained far exceeds any revenue lost. In fact, not collecting revenue isn't truly "lost" revenue in an economic sense.

Point 2 - Matter of opinion. I disagree, but I see your point and I am sure others share the opinion...how many is hard to tell.

Point 3 - It isn't hypocrisy. At best you might make a case that it's somewhat misleading, but the statement is factually correct. You never have to pay GC.com to geocache.

Point 4 - Premium Member or not that is still going to be an issue.

Point 5 - I didn't realize that was their point in membership...so I can't argue that, but I'd like to see where that is published as their reasoning if you can link it.

At the end of the day...even a yearly membership isn't hardly a hill of beans. I could easily redeem enough money from can returns doing CITO per year to cover it and still eat a steak dinner. :laughing:

Here is one example of why someone makes a cache Members Only, and keeps it restricted.

I can't read the listing because I'm not a PM. That alone should say there are problems with the system.

1) Loss of revenue to gc.com. How much, I don't know. I'd be quite happy to put up the money for the other PM features, and in fact I do put up money for access to quite a few web sites. But gc.com is losing my money because of the existence of PMOCs.

2) PMOCs smack of elitism. True, it only takes a one-month membership to get the coordinates. It's the smack, not the money.

3) Hypocrisy: refer to the PM page, where it says "Some caches are only available to Premium Members" and then just a few lines later "Do I have to pay to go Geocaching now? Never!" (yes, including the exclamation point). These statements conflict. I'd drop this objection if they changed "Never!" to the Gilbert and Sullivan quote "No, never! What, never? Well, hardly ever!".

4) In some places, I simply cannot hide a cache without being a PM, because there are enough PMOCs hidden that I have to know their coordinates to place another cache. Yes, it's true that in such places there are probably too many caches already anyway. But I'm familiar with one popular loop trail where one cacher saturated the trail with PMOCs (now however changed to regular). It just left a really bad taste in my mouth that one of the first areas I looked at on gc.com was saturated with PMOCs and I could only find empty areas if I were a PM.

5) If excessive traffic is really an issue, a PMOC is a poor tool to address it. There are much more effective ways to restrict access. An idea that pops into my head is to make it an offset cache, with the offset obtained by contacting the owner, who will give the instructions to anyone with 100 or more finds, and only to such people. More experienced cachers probably have better ideas. The point is that anyone can get the coordinates of a PMOC for $3 without demonstrating any skill or level of responsibility.

Edward

Boy, I don't know where you get your ideas about the Premium Member Only caches . . .

1) :laughing: You are the only one who is losing out by not becoming a Premium Member.

2) Elitism . . . :D There are very valid reasons for making a cache PMO and none of them are because someone thinks they are better than someone else.

3) :grin: Around here there are several thousand caches, only a small percentage of which are PMO. You do not have to "pay" to cache here.

4) Since many PMO caches do get changed to Regular after a while, all you had to do was wait a while and you get to find those caches. :P

5) :grin: I don't want to get emails from someone where I have to check their Profile before deciding if I should send them the coordinates or not. That would take way too much time with my slow dialup connection. Also, if someone is traveling, they want to find the caches along their route. They often filter out "offset" caches, however what you are suggesting is an "Unknown" cache designation since they have to send an email before they can get coordinates. I filter out all the "Unknown" caches 'cause I can't usually figure out the Puzzles. :huh:

I cannot fathom why paying a paltry $3.00 per month for all the features available to Premium Members is such a problem for you. :huh: Around here, and in any "cache-rich" area, I don't know how anyone can cache without the benefit of Pocket Queries. I know people on limited incomes who still manage to come up with three dollars a month for GC.com . . . :D

If you read the cache page, I think it is evident . . .

It is the site of a plane crash. The cache owner doesn't want anyone who is not a Premium Member of the site to have access to the coordinates.

I read and still do not understand.

Pillaging wont happen if someone pays $3 a month?

The members only status makes the cache page completely inaccessible to non-geocachers.

The non-member geocache pages can be viewed by anyone. Some cache pages may get hundreds of "hits" by people who so a search on a subject and come up inadvertently to the cache page. The cache pages do not provide location info, but they make it very easy to find out (or to see it on a topographical map) by simply providing an-email address.

Partly as an experiment, I hid a cache with the word "spiderman" in the title. It has gotten over a thousand hits (recorded by the hit counter I placed on the page) since it was hidden over a year ago. Ninety percent (or more)of the hits are most likely people who have never heard of geocaching. A members-only cache does a very good job of keeping the page away from non-cachers.

knight2k may be referring to accidental findings of physical caches by Muggles...which, obviously, is unpredictable and unpreventable.

However, as has been pointed out, the PMOC's do have a degree of protection. The first caches I found when I got into geocaching were found without a GPS and just doing a zip code search. I am sure people with more harmful intent have done the same.

Unless you live in a cache-deprived area, why is it so important to find every single cache? It even is possible to find a cach and not log it. Or so I've heard, I have not tried that myself. What is important to your (the thread initiator) kids: 1) spending quality time with their dad 2) finding trinkets in the woods 3) logging lots of caches? As long as majority of caches are available to all, I have no problem with some restricted ones. It is kind of like flying: I get to buy a seat on the plane, but those who pay a little extra get an even nicer seat in the front of the plane.

The existence of PMOCs probably generates more premium memberships than it deters. I doubt many people withold their membership to protest PMOCs, while for some the ability to search for PMOCs is another reason for spending the money. See item 4 for the reason I became a premium member.

PMOCs were suggested by geocachers when Jeremy was first suggesting a premium membership. At the time they were not many features that a PM could offer and some geocacher suggested the ability to place some cache to reward those who supported the site. PMOCs are best seen as a way for PM to thank others who support the Geocaching.com site. Of course, if you're not a PM you would see this as elitist. I'm not a scuba diver, so I see scuba caches a elitist :laughing:

It spite of what you say in item 4 below, I don't think there are many areas where PMOCs rise to such a high percentage of the cache that there are no caches left for non-PMs to find. If there are areas like this, TPTB should tackle this on an area by area basis to ensure that they keep their promise that geocaching remain free. Perhaps they should change the "Never" since they did not intend that every cache be free. Some non-premium caches are hidden in parks with entrance fees. Some state parks charge for a permit to hide a cache. Seeking a PMOC is not any different than any other cache where you have to pay a fee. Geocaching.com is only hypocritical if PMOCs are truely preventing any non-PMOCs from being placed

I can't argue with this one. It's the reason I becames a PM. I wanted to hide a cache on trail I was familiar with. I could tell there was a PMOC on the trail but not the exact location. I didn't want to hike out there to place a cache and then have to go move it when it was rejected for being too close to the existing cache. So I paid for a PM and knew where the cache was. I suspect that I could've written the reviewer and with the approximate location where I wanted to place the cache to see if it was far enough from the PMOC. There have been several request for methods to automate a system to tell caches if a PMOC or the final of an unknown was within the saturation distance of where you want to place a cache but these have been rejected beacuse they would invite abuse by those who just want to get the coordinates for the unknown cache.

Amazingly, PMOCs do get less traffic. A lot of people find they can enjoy this game without paying $3 and they will never hunt a PMOC. And while it is not 100% effective, the $3/month probably weeds out the kind of people who will go intentionally steal from the cache or even take the cache itself. Some people have reported that making their cache a PMOC has detered these "cache maggots".

Oh, and of course I forgot one thing. I understand why hiders might want to see who has been visiting the cache page. So make this a PM feature -- one more benny for PMs. But make it a benny for a hider who is a PM, unrelated to the hide being a PMOC.

Edward

There are undoubtly many people who make their caches PMOCs just so they get the audit page of who has looked at the cache page. Given the requirement now to be logged in in order to see the coordinates, it makes some sense to provide this a a premium mebership benifit for all caches. That may redude the number of PMOCs in some areas.

Edited by tozainamboku

Believe me, three dollars does not make someone elite. Maybe in a third world country, but there are hardly any caches over there. You do not need a credit card either, as many(or most) ATM/debit cards have a Visa logo and can be used as a credit card anyway. If they only accepted credit cards, or did not break the fees into monthly increments, I still would not agree with you, but I could at least understand your side of the arguement.

The "three dollars of angst" arguement could be better used against the price of gasoline.

Let me know when there are only members-only caches to find and you have nothing else to do. Or better yet, send me a copy of a notice to "upgrade now or lose your membership". It is completely an option.

1) Loss of revenue to gc.com.

So they lose your $3. I'm sure they'll survive. If, however, Groundspeak chose to make free, all the premium member benefits, there would no longer be any marketable incentive for folks to pay, and their losses would be substantial.

2) PMOCs smack of elitism.

I would argue the problem is with how you are perceiving PMOC's. You choose to be offended. I have yet to meet a premium member who feels they are superior to any other players.

3) Hypocrisy: refer to the PM page, where it says "Some caches are only available to Premium Members" and then just a few lines later "Do I have to pay to go Geocaching now? Never!" (yes, including the exclamation point). These statements conflict.

No, they don't. You do not have to pay to go geocaching. If you wish to add some great benefits to your caching fun, and in doing so, increase the number of caches you can find, you can pay to do so. If you don't want these benefits, you are not required to do so. You can still go caching without a PM, as oodles of cachers have demonstrated. There is nothing conflicting with the two statements.

4) In some places, I simply cannot hide a cache without being a PM, because there are enough PMOCs hidden that I have to know their coordinates to place another cache.

Sorry. You are the one choosing your own misery. Incidentally, you can still hide caches in PMOC saturated areas, but it involves a little more work. Find a spot, (Google Earth works great for this), and E-mail your local reviewer to see if the coords are within 528' of any existing caches.

5) If excessive traffic is really an issue, a PMOC is a poor tool to address it.

Actually, it's a great tool to address it. If you reduce the number of people who are capable of viewing the coords, you subsequently reduce the number of people who can download said coords. I used to have a cache series that required a physical reset every 5 to 10 cachers, and the series covered many miles. Leaving home, going to the final, gathering stuff, then visiting the other 4 stages, took several hours of my time and lots of money for gas. I made the series PMOC's to reduce the number of times I would need to do this, and it worked like a charm.

-Sean-

Edited by Clan Riffster

The biggest problem is that non-members can actually see that there are members-only caches in the area, and when they click on it they get:

An Error Has Occurred

You need to log in and be a premium member in order to view subscriber-only caches. Login if you are a premium member, or visit the premium member page to find out how to upgrade your account to a premium member.

The problem is that they know there are members-only caches out there. Nobody complains about the platinum caches because when you click the link:

www.platinumgeocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ca4da81a-f83f-4334-b297-2fd7b91a25b8

it comes up

We can't find "www.platinumgeocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=74b92b2a-68f8-42fb-a168-0b51103f0d12"

You can try again by typing the URL in the address bar above.

Or, search the Web:

Go to MSN Search to see complete results for "www.platinumgeocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=74b92b2a-68f8-42fb-a168-0b51103f0d12".

Check availability or register the domain name 'www.platinumgeocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=74b92b2a-68f8-42fb-a168-0b51103f0d12'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More information about this error.

About Results

• Not satisfied with your results? Help us improve.