Geocaches on military bases

OH2TH

We have recently seen an increase of caches been placed on military bases in the middle east mostly in Kuwait and Qatar. Isn't this against the cache placement guidelines?

I'm an expatriate currently working in Saudi and frequently visit the neighbouring countries for work and pleasure. I am dissapointed to find some caches the already in their descriptions clearly state that they are on a base and that I will have no access to them.

Now I do undertsand that there may be a need for these types of caches for military personel who are not allowed to leave the base in hostile areas. May I suggest that either add an attribute for 'base access needed' caches or srick to the guidelines and do not allow these caches at all.

Regards,

OH2TH / Desert Cacher

we have an old bomb facility owned by the army a couple miles from my house but ramsey county parks bought a small section from the army as a wild life viewing area and an archery range so they put 2 caches in those designated areas. it would make a huge and great park if the army released the land to the community but thes toxic waste in the ground that they are still cleaning out.

You wouldn't be able to visit Kuwait at *all* if it weren't for those soldiers and their predecessors -- you'd be visiting an annexed province of Iraq. Keeping that perspective, I can certainly appreciate why the reviewer for that area shows a bit of flexibility on the listing guidelines.

Well said.

As for the OP,about 97% of the cache pages I've viewed for Iraq/Kuwait say "Coalition occupied zone" or "Credentials needed for cache area." There's even some caches I can't find because I don't have access to the area even on the same base.