Have you ever?

graylling

I got home from work today and found a coin envelope in the mail. This one had been mailed back in November of last year. That in itself is was enough to raise my eyebrows. Unfortunately this was one I had mailed out as a trade and was being returned as being undeliverable.

I have just emailed the intended recipient to let him know I was remailing the coin again and to confirm his address. But it makes me wonder what happened to the envelope in the meantime. Does it really take 4 months to return something to the sender when they can't deliver it for some reason?? Did it lay in the bottom of some dead letter box for that long?? I think the post office was playing frisbee with it. Hopefully this time the person will get the trade.

I got home from work today and found a coin envelope in the mail. This one had been mailed back in November of last year. That in itself is was enough to raise my eyebrows. Unfortunately this was one I had mailed out as a trade and was being returned as being undeliverable.

I have just emailed the intended recipient to let him know I was remailing the coin again and to confirm his address. But it makes me wonder what happened to the envelope in the meantime. Does it really take 4 months to return something to the sender when they can't deliver it for some reason?? Did it lay in the bottom of some dead letter box for that long?? I think the post office was playing frisbee with it. Hopefully this time the person will get the trade.

We got a package back almost 1 year later from the post office with a hand written post it note on it from the postmaster saying "Found in the bottom of a supposedly empty mail bag". We had already sent a replacement set, so that was not an issue. The package (with note attached) now sits on one of our shelves that we chuckle at on occasion.

So, does it happen? Yep, we had a 4"x4"x4" box that it took the USPS almost a year to find and deliver.

Once, when we were living in Florida, Joani's mom mailed her a dress that went missing in the mail. We gave up on it after trying to track it down. It showed up 9 months later in Florida. No idea where it had been all that time. It was a big box. It was unopened and the postage was dated properly.

--Marky

I can't tell you how many times we found someone elses mail at the bottom of the "empty" sacks that had been delivered. :)

A happier story of the "what's left in the sack" type:

Some months ago I received the dreaded split open "empty package" - it was from Europe and was supposed to contain quite a few geocoins. :)

I went to the post office to report this and was given a complicated form to fill out.

As I started to do so, a chap appeared from the back and said "I just found these in one of the sacks - does anyone know what they are?".

They were my coins! :(

I can't tell you how many times we found someone elses mail at the bottom of the "empty" sacks that had been delivered. :)

A happier story of the "what's left in the sack" type:

Some months ago I received the dreaded split open "empty package" - it was from Europe and was supposed to contain quite a few geocoins. :)

I went to the post office to report this and was given a complicated form to fill out.

As I started to do so, a chap appeared from the back and said "I just found these in one of the sacks - does anyone know what they are?".

They were my coins! :(

One word comes to mind... "PHEW!"

I have had 2 similar problems.

I had one that was sent back to me a couple months later that was completely mangled/blackened with only my return address viewable. so they returned it to me luckily.

and I had one that took 6 months to get to the person i mailed it to. so when they finally got it they returned it. (i had sent a replacement)

One of the first geocoins I ever bought was from ebay. I paid immediately, she sent it immediately, but I didn't get it for a few months. The envelope had no postage cancellation on it either. I don't know if she believed me or not when I kept emailing her that I didn't get it. Eventually, she refunded my money. I never felt like she believed me. Fortunately, when I finally got the coin, I had saved her email address and paid her for the coin. I think we were both relieved that we were both telling the truth and each of us got what we wanted-she got her money and I got the geocoin.